BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What's going on with The Hound?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An interesting page (w/photos) on the veteran FRENCH LINE ship "ILE DE FRANCE", aka "SS CLARIDON" ("THE LAST VOYAGE", 1960)

Note that the ship was rebuilt and modernized after the War........

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Ile_de_France
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it very interesting (and, indeed, even a bit puzzling) why even though GREYHOUND, in all of its diversity, was involved with the airlines (leasing aircraft) but never was involved with any shipping companies (GREYHOUND did lease "supply vessels")

By the 1960's, GREYHOUND's subsidiary leasing company owned 40 jet aircraft, including DC-8's.

Just imagine if the Company owned/operated ocean vessels (passenger/cargo) with the famed "Running Dog" emblazoned on their funnels!

We have often heard the term "Ocean Greyhounds" when referring to the ocean liners of old.......

"NYO"
traildriver

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess you forgot about this company....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Premier_Cruise_Line
The original Greyhound Corporation owned it from 1983 until it was sold in 1997. By that time, it was Dial Corporation, after the bus line was divested in 1987.

Besides actually owning a cruise line, they also operated gift shop concession's on other cruise ships from several other lines around the globe...
That company is still going strong today, under the luxury LVMH umbrella, operating on about a hundred cruise ships...

https://www.lvmh.com/houses/selective-retailing/starboard-cruise/
traildriver

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And before Greyhound Corporation got into the maritime business, TCO Industries, (the holding company of Continental Trailways) --TCO was stock symbol of Transcontinental Bus System, Inc., purchased Delta Steamship Company, an old passenger and freight line.
https://www.cruiselinehistory.com/delta-line-the-last-truly-american-flag-passenger-steamship-company/

Apparently when Holiday Inn bought out TCO, they divested Delta and sold it to Crowley, who subsequently sold it to United States Lines, and they went under

There is a possibility, that the Greyhound Leasing and Financial Corporation, Greyhound Corporation subsidiary, which was into heavy industrial leasing, might have owned some ships as well, but I am not sure....I do know that they owned and leased some large off-shore oil drilling platform's....
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver wrote:
And before Greyhound Corporation got into the maritime business, TCO Industries, (the holding company of Continental Trailways) --TCO was stock symbol of Transcontinental Bus System, Inc., purchased Delta Steamship Company, an old passenger and freight line.
https://www.cruiselinehistory.com/delta-line-the-last-truly-american-flag-passenger-steamship-company/

Apparently when Holiday Inn bought out TCO, they divested Delta and sold it to Crowley, who subsequently sold it to United States Lines, and they went under

There is a possibility, that the Greyhound Leasing and Financial Corporation, Greyhound Corporation subsidiary, which was into heavy industrial leasing, might have owned some ships as well, but I am not sure....I do know that they owned and leased some large off-shore oil drilling platform's....

traildriver:

Great stuff as always; I did not know of DELTA (nor did I know of the GREYHOUND/PREMIER connection!)

Yes, GREYHOUND did, in fact, leased some off-shore drilling platforms, as well as "supply vessels".

The Company was, to say the least, quite diverse, back in the day (yes, DIAL soap was always to be found at our house, once upon a time!) Wink

Again, it is (I feel) to learn about GREYHOUND's rich history more "in depth" than the average enthusiast; after all, the Company was MORE than just buses........... Very Happy

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recall, also, GREYHOUND's proposals for "helicopter shuttle service" in the early postwar era; here again, this is yet another example of the company's "thinking outside the box", as well as its penchant for "diversification".

Again, GREYHOUND was a LOT more than just its fleet of highway coaches....... Wink

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

MANY THANKS again for the DELTA and PREMIER links; I found that I DID recall reading of the DELTA line, quite awhile ago.

Those graceful ships, as well as the well-dressed passengers they carried, indeed speak of a far more genteel and elegant era in ship travel, the likes of which will, sadly, never return.

However, at least the massive and monolithic cruise ships of today continue to "carry on the tradition", in a manner of speaking...... Wink

"NYO"
traildriver

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NYO--
You are very welcome!

As for the diversity of the former Greyhound Corporation...
I'm not sure if I mentioned that I briefly worked for Greyhound Leasing and Financial Corporation, from April until June of '66, when I then went into the USAF.

I was looking for a 'good job' after leaving high school, previously pumping gas, or working as a stock boy at Alexander's Dept. Store (remember them?)...
I went to the state employment service to see what they had to offer, and I was immediately intrigued by the word "Greyhound" in their title, even though they had nothing to do with the bus line other than their common ownership.

I was employed as an entry level clerk, and had access to their collection of Greyhound annual report's to stockholder's, which dated back to their purchase by Greyhound Corporation in 1962. They were originally 'Boothe Leasing Corporation. I loved the 'white collar world' for a change. The office was located at 445 Park Avenue, near 57th Street, and it was a pleasure to see all the glamour around there, especially on nice spring days eating my lunch at one of the nearby plaza's... Wink

At the time, GL&FC was one of the largest industrial leasing companies...not quite as big as GE Capital, but in their league, owning more jet airliner's than several airlines, mining machinery, main frame computer's, the oil drilling rigs and platforms, railroad rolling stock, etc.

I did not return to them after doing my tour, as I wanted to get into the 'real' bus industry.... Smile
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

Man, talk about "The Man About Town".........sounds like you had quite an interesting career for a while, there!

Nothing like being "behind the scenes" of some great corporation, especially if it has some ties to the bus industry! Wink

Again, I am sure many folks (especially GREYHOUND passengers and even bus enthusiasts) would be quite astounded to learn how diverse the Company was, back in the glory days!)

As far as the "glamour" on 5th Avenue in the springtime, I must admit that nothing could hope to equal riding atop an open-top FACCo. double decker, on a sunny spring afternoon.....man, if I could only travel back in time! Very Happy

Actually, for me, the "glamour" departed Fifth Avenue when the last Fishbowls made their last runs down that fabled thoroughfare...... Sad

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of airline-transit affiliations......

In 1955, O. Roy Chalk, a New York financier who also owned controlling interests in TRANS-CARRIBEAN AIWAYS, took over DC TRANSIT's (Washington) extensive network of streetcars and buses.

In 1956, the new corporate title was DC TRANSIT; a condition of the charter (sadly) was the elimination of streetcars (this was accomplished by 1962)

See:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trans_Caribbean_Airways

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of TRANS-CARRIBEAN AIRWAYS, note the advertisement on the flanks of this World's Fair-bound Fishbowl, waaaaaay back in 1965............... Very Happy

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?260

(courtesy: bus.nycsubway.org)
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the recent shutdown of BIEBER, I've been reading comments from different sources oin how many are amazed that GREYHOUND is still around, given its current state.

From what I've been reading (and this, actually, is old news to me) GREYHOUND's once-stellar services have long since tanked; surly, clueless drivers, lost luggage, filthy restrooms (both on the buses and in stations) and cancelled runs are all to common these days, and sadly, have been, for quite some time.

Of course, this is a slap in the face of those dedicated GREYHOUND employees who STILL take PRIDE in their work; sadly, all employees are painted with the same brush, which, most certainly, is an insult.

Personally, I think it is very sad that the "Once Mighty Hound" is now but a sad parody of what it once was, back in the day.

It would seem (to me, at least) that better management could have resolved these issues long ago, with a little diligence and common sense.....

"NYO"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28
Page 28 of 28

Jump to: