BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

1965 blackout (how buses were affected)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:35 pm    Post subject: 1965 blackout (how buses were affected) Reply with quote

All:

Though only a grade school kid at the time, I well remember the infamous 1965 blackout, that brought New York to a screeching halt

Subways, els, commuter trains, elevators, escalators.....everything stopped.

I've long been curious as to how NYCTA bus operations were affected by the blackout; of course, there were no traffic lights, nor street lamps.

This, by itself, must have made driving a city bus (or any other vehicle, for that matter) quite an adventure.

Certainly, schedules must have fell by the wayside.

How were the depot/garages affected?

Did any of these facilities have emergency generators, or did everything simply grind to a halt when the power went off?

What about PABT operations?

Look forward to any input (and, perhaps, personal recollections) of that dark evening......

"NYO"
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was one picture from the blackout of a MaBSTOA Fishbowl packed like sardines, it's a wonder anyone survived that trip in terms of not suffocating. But don't forget, while the power may've been out, there were no electric cars and whatnot in those days.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B. Fishbowl wrote:
There was one picture from the blackout of a MaBSTOA Fishbowl packed like sardines, it's a wonder anyone survived that trip in terms of not suffocating. But don't forget, while the power may've been out, there were no electric cars and whatnot in those days.

W.B:

I THINK I recall seeing that same photo in a magazine many years ago (LIFE? LOOK?)

Again, I would imagine that schedules were simply tossed to the winds, especially with no traffic lights (nor street lamps)

Over the years, I've read a number of accounts on stalled trains, stranded subway riders, etc., but virtually nothing on how the buses were affected.

I am sure the next morning's rush hour was also quite interesting.......

"NYO"
traildriver

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IIRC, the city asked the TA to place several buses with the "batwing" signs in strategic spots, to benefit from their lighting......
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: