BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

B&O buses at Jersey City, circa 1930
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
traildriver

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

X-Astorian wrote:
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
traildriver wrote:
Unfortunately, Hart Bus is correct in questioning it...
That type of book, if done well with good photo's, would tend to be a fairly expensive book to publish, and with its limited appeal, would be costly to purchase. I seriously doubt it could be successful commercially speaking.

traildriver:

In retrospect, then, perhaps a B&O bus article in a rail publication such as CLASSIC TRAINS or TRAINS would be a far more economical and practicle alternative than to have a book published on the subject........

"NYO"

The 1971 Motor Coach Age issue on FACCO included two pages on B&O buses. I'm not sure how much else there is to write. If anyone is interested I can scan and post them.

I would love to see them as well....
X-Astorian

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
X-Astorian:

If you could scan and post those two pages on the B&O buses, I am sure I would not be the only one who would enjoy them! Very Happy

Thanks for jumping on board........ Wink

"NYO"

Here you go - click to enlarge.

image host image host
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

X-Astorian:

MANY THANKS for posting the article here! Very Happy

I even discovered a few interesting tidbits that I had known know previously; thanks again for sharing with us here...... Wink

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All:

The article states that, when B&O bus service to Jersey City started, the buses could travel on two CNJ ferry crossings from Manhattan, W. 23rd St., and Liberty St.

The CNJ, as did several other railroad-operated ferry lines, operated to the massive "UNION FERRY TERMINAL" at the foot of W. 23rd St.,; the terminal building, with its soaring clock tower, was copper clad and built in the general style of the then-new DL&W terminal at Hoboken (NJT still uses this historic depot today)

The CNJ's service to W. 23rd St. ended in 1942; when the ERIE shut down service to this terminal, only the boats of the DL&W remained; the railroad finally shut down all operations to W. 23rd St. in late 1946.

The huge, multi-slip terminal was later demolished; the CNJ's ferry service to Liberty St., however, did not cease operations until April, 1967, when the CNJ re-routed its commuter trains to Penn Station, Newark, instead of Jersey City......

"NYO"
traildriver

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

X-Astorian....
Thank you so much for taking the time to find that, scan, and post it here!

I too learned from it...
I am somewhat surprised that Public Service, an interstate carrier, was not awarded the entire service contract...not just the New Jersey routes, as I didn't know FACCO operated any interstate routes. Of course, that was prior to the 1935 ICC regulation of interstate buses, so who knows what it all entailed...
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver wrote:
X-Astorian....

I too learned from it...
I am somewhat surprised that Public Service, an interstate carrier, was not awarded the entire service contract...not just the New Jersey routes, as I didn't know FACCO operated any interstate routes. Of course, that was prior to the 1935 ICC regulation of interstate buses, so who knows what it all entailed...

traildriver:

On a sidenote, PSNJ did operate train connection bus service, in conjunction with the CNJ's "BLUE COMET" (Jersey City-Atlantic City), and carried
"BC" logos on their sides, and were painted in the handsome "BLUE COMET" regalia.

They also carried large illuminated sign boxes that read:

"NEW JERSEY CENTRAL TRAIN CONNECTION"

The buses connected with the trains at Hammonton, ironically replacing a CNJ train that had previously operated out of Bridgeton, and were operated under contract for the CNJ by PSNJ.......

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Further on CNJ/PS "BLUE COMET" train connection buses.......

Even though the CNJ discontinued passenger service to Bridgeton, the railroad was not going to let potential "BLUE COMET" customers be left out in the cold, with no way to get to the trains, from Bridgeton and Vineland.

From what I have read, the CNJ also staged a number of "publicity" photos at different location to promote the new train connection buses.

So far, the one and only photo I have seen of one of these buses was in "THE UNIQUE NEW YORK & LONG BRANCH" (Wood/Gallo/Rosenbaum), showing one of the YELLOW "Y" coaches at PSNJ's sprawling Passaic Wharf streetcar maintenance facility near Newark, with several streetcars in the background.....

"NYO"
X-Astorian

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver wrote:
X-Astorian....

I too learned from it...

You're all very welcome. I have all the MCA issues covering NYC operations so if there's something you haven't seen, just ask I'll try to post it.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All:

The aforementioned "BLUE COMET" train connection buses, operated by PSNJ was obviously a short-lived operation that is unknown to all but the most astute CNJ/PSNJ historians/enthusiast.

I have yet to find out whether these buses operated until the end of the "COMET" in 1941, or, had ended operations prior to the train's discontinuance.

The YELLOW "Z"-types would have indeed looked quite dated by 1941, if no newer buses were ever used.....

"NYO"

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, the buses of the "JOLLY TAR TRAILS" company, which once had made connections to lesser trains, began making direct connections to the CNJ's "BLUE COMET" at Lakewood.......

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.......the READING, by the 1920's, was operating buses to supplement train service, and had a subsidiary, the READING TRANSPORTATION COMPANY, to perform this service.

The buses began hourly service between Philadelphia and both Atlantic City and Ocean City in 1929.

The PRR then entered the bus scene buy buying out the PEOPLES RAPID TRANSIT in 1930; both the RDG and PRR buses operated via the White Horse Pike, leaving the development of the Black Horse Pike route to PSNJ.......

"NYO"
traildriver

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading Transportation Company was the only eastern railroad owned bus company that joined the National Trailways Bus System, dba "Reading Trailways" later on. When the ICC forced the railways to divest their bus holdingsl after WWII, Reading Trailways was divided up between Safeway Trails, Capitol Trailways (Capitol Bus Company), and Edwards Motor Transit (Lakes To Sea System).

Sadly, very little of any of those routes remain in service by other carrier's today....
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver wrote:
Reading Transportation Company was the only eastern railroad owned bus company that joined the National Trailways Bus System, dba "Reading Trailways" later on. When the ICC forced the railways to divest their bus holdingsl after WWII, Reading Trailways was divided up between Safeway Trails, Capitol Trailways (Capitol Bus Company), and Edwards Motor Transit (Lakes To Sea System).

Sadly, very little of any of those routes remain in service by other carrier's today....

traildriver:

By the late 1920's, the railroads serving the South Jersey area found a substantial amount of their passenger traffic eroding due to new bus competition.

By this time, local and intercity bus routes had been initiated after the Delaware River Bridge opened in 1926; direct bus service between communities in Salem, Cumberland, and Gloucester Counties and center-city Philadelphia competed for the railroad-ferry passengers.

The buses were both direct and frequent; the railroads serving the aforementioned areas were already feeling the pinch prior to 1930.

After the formation of the PRSL, the former West Jersey & Seashore electric train terminal (Tennesse & Atlantic Avenues) was converted into a municipal bus terminal, for many years dominated by PSNJ..............

"NYO"
N4 Jamaica

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am puzzled by the expression "Delaware River Bridge that opened in 1926." Which one are writing of?
Thanks.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

N4 Jamaica wrote:
I am puzzled by the expression "Delaware River Bridge that opened in 1926." Which one are writing of?
Thanks.

N4:

That was the info stated in a well-worn copy of an old book on the PRSL, given to me years ago.

The text states only this......

"......both local and intercity bus routes were initiated after President Coolidge opened the Delaware River Bridge in 1926......" *

"NYO"

* SEE FOLLOWING POST

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Fri Dec 28, 2018 2:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: