BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Buses In Da Snow..........
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Roth

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny thing how no matter what city you lived in Fishbowls were everywhere and that's just the way it was. Never gave a second thought about what would come next and now the sight of a Fishbowl in one of these photos makes me smile.

John
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Roth wrote:
Funny thing how no matter what city you lived in Fishbowls were everywhere and that's just the way it was. Never gave a second thought about what would come next and now the sight of a Fishbowl in one of these photos makes me smile.

John

John:

I hear you, my friend!

The very last Fishbowls in my area vanished back in 1997, 21 years ago.

The last Old Looks disappeared in 1986.

Seeing pictures of these wonderful old buses (at any time of year!) still gives me a warm, nostalgic feeling, as I remember the "good old days"............ Wink

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

April, 1972, Washington Plaza.

A long, dreary winter is finally loosening its frigid grip on the city, and tantalizing hints of Spring are in the air.......even in Brooklyn!

This classic "generation gap" bus portrait indeed takes us back to a another time, one that, sadly, too many of us took for granted.......

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?1626

(courtesy: bus.nycsubway.org)
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stillwell Avenue, January, 1977.

(This one is also for the subway buffs amongst us!) Wink

Piles of gritty snow still decorate the streets in this view, as a train of prewar IND "Arnine" cars is seen above on the tracks of the old Stillwell Avenue terminal.

1977 was also the same year that these venerable, historic old subway cars (the very last prewar cars in revenue service in New York) would be in operation; they would be retired later that year.

Ironically, these remaining cars, designed for the IND (the 8th Avenue line opened in 1932), ended their service lives on the former BMT (today's "B" Division)

Note, too, the old trolley line pole, itself a relic of a long-ago era in public transportation in New York.......

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?1789

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for a moment, let's "fast forward" from winter to late Summer; this 1972 photo taken at Park Row and Broadway teems with nostalgia.

The Old Look (then living on borrowed time), the old-style "BUS STOP" sign (M-15), the MTA driver still wearing his old-style cap, the business establishments, and one of the towers of the now-destroyed WTC Twin Towers, looming above the historic St. Paul's Church. (RIP)

Too, note #7075's empty front sign box (you can see the light bulbs that illuminated the curtain on the right), as well as the vintage autos and streetlights.

Again, here is a street scene that so many of us thought would be around forever.......

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?1821

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Late March, 1972, 165th St. terminal.

Spring is right around the corner, and, hopefully, Old Man Winter is about ready to retire for another season.

Here, on a damp, gray day, we see Fishbowl #2064 on the "Q-4", the only bus in the terminal's multiple lanes.

What really makes this picture interesting is the MTA "service car" (?), "supervisor's car"(?) on the right, still sporting the classic 1960's era "TA" insignia (this photo is the first I have seen with such a vehicle; imagine a preserved example today!)

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?251

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All:

Noting the 1972 photo taken at the 165th St. terminal that I posted several days ago, does anyone here have any photos (or at least information) regarding the TA "supervisor's car"/"road car"(?) that is seen on the right in that photo?

As I had mentioned previously, that was the first time I had ever seen a photo showing one of these vehicles......

"NYO"
traildriver

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
All:

Noting the 1972 photo taken at the 165th St. terminal that I posted several days ago, does anyone here have any photos (or at least information) regarding the TA "supervisor's car"/"road car"(?) that is seen on the right in that photo?

As I had mentioned previously, that was the first time I had ever seen a photo showing one of these vehicles......

"NYO"

No info on it, sorry, but it looks like an International Harvester "Travelall", a knockoff of a Chevy Suburban, that ended production in 1975...
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver wrote:
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
All:

"NYO"

No info on it, sorry, but it looks like an International Harvester "Travelall", a knockoff of a Chevy Suburban, that ended production in 1975...

traildriver:

Thanks anyway! Wink

Funny thing, some older gentleman a few blocks up from me had the same vehicle, until just recently (no "TA" emblem on the doors, though!)

I found that photo quite interesting, to say the least, as this was the first time I ever saw any sort of a TA "staff" car in any of the vintage New York bus photos I've gone though.

I am willing to wager that, somewhere, other pictures do exist......somewhere...... Rolling Eyes

"NYO"
MaBSTOA 15

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NYCTA had it's fleet of "Snow Fighters" former transit buses model GM TDH-4507. Here is a line up at the East New York depot in 1961.

In the meantime, MaBSTOA had it's own fleet of "Snow Fighters" in the form of former Fifth Avenue Coach and/or New York City Omnibus Yellow Coach model 740.

Both fleets were used as Salt Spreaders.

29171535825_10497f9144_o (2).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  248.23 KB
 Viewed:  17459 Time(s)

29171535825_10497f9144_o (2).jpg

29093576641_5c8fa530ac_b (2).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  166.25 KB
 Viewed:  17459 Time(s)

29093576641_5c8fa530ac_b (2).jpg

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaBSTOA 15:

Once again, yet again, you have OUTDONE yourself, photo wise! Very Happy

AWESOME old photos.....thanks for sharing here! Wink

Man, imagine if even a couple of those old relics survived long enough to be part of the "Museum Fleet", and restored to their original condition?

WOW!!!!!! Shocked Shocked

Thanks again for your always-excellent photos...... Wink

"NYO"
MaBSTOA 15

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slushing through Washington Square...

IMG_3690 (2).jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  128.94 KB
 Viewed:  17358 Time(s)

IMG_3690 (2).jpg

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaBSTOA 15:

ANOTHER CLASSIC!!!!!!!!!!!! Very Happy Very Happy

How well I recall similar "square window" Old Looks on local NJ routes when I was MUCH, MUCH younger!!! Wink

I also recall those old two-light traffic signals as well......man, talk about ANCIENT history!! Shocked

Once again, many thanks for sharing these wonderful old bus photos with us here...... Very Happy

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This VERY wintry "honorable mention" hails from 1950's Philadelphia; such old "snow assist" bus photos are not all that common.........

http://www.newdavesrailpix.com/phila/htm/ehp258.htm

(courtesy: newdavesrailpix)
B53RICH

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jingle Bells, Jingle Bells!

NYCTA #8854 working route B64 at Stillwell & Mermaid Avenues, Coney Island, Brooklyn. Photograph taken January 23, 1977 by Doug Grotjahn; collection of Joe Testagrose.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: