BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Remembering Whites and ACF-Brills

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:04 pm    Post subject: Remembering Whites and ACF-Brills Reply with quote

All:

I am willing to wager that bus enthusiasts under 60 have never seen either a WHITE or and ACF-BRILL (except in photos or at a bus show)

Growing up in the 60's, I can remember both types; through a good chunk of the decade, they were common, everyday sights in my area of northern New Jersey.

North Hudson Boulevard Lines (NHBL), which ran by our old Union City apartment house, rostered several models of Old Looks, but also rostered some WHITES.

I can well remember both the 798's as well as the newer 1144's running on the #1 (JSQ-Nungessers) and the #5 (JSQ-PABT).

INTER-CITY's #97 (JSQ-Paterson), which also ran on Hudson (now Kennedy) Boulevard operated all suburban models; GM's, WHITES, and ACF-BRILL C-44's.

I also remember riding Brills on De Camp's long-gone #22 (JSQ-Caldwell) with my mother out to Verona, to visit my aunt and uncle in West Orange.

Interestingly, DE CAMP operated both gas and diesel BRILLS.

To me, both the WHITES and the BRILLS sounded more "truck-like" than any GM bus (the BRILLS, especially, had a deep bass growl that I can still hear today!)

SOMERSET also operated BRILL suburbans well into the 60's.

By the decade's, end, they were all gone; I cannot recall seeing (or riding) either a WHITE or a BRILL any time after 1967.

The last BRILL I ever saw was an ex-INTER-CITY C-44, sitting in a used truck lot in Northern NJ, about 1972.

The last WHITE I ever saw was a 798 restored as a RED & TAN coach, at one of the old Hoboken Terminal Festivals.

I still miss these distinctive old buses today; let's not forget them......Wink

"NYO"

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:06 am; edited 1 time in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remembering the WHITE 798's operated by TRIBORO, many eons ago.......

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?1323

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?1324

(courtesy: bus.nycsubway.org)
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At one of the Brooklyn Bus Festivals, here is the handsome 798 that I remember at a Hoboken Terminal Festival years ago; the bus has been restored as a RED & TAN coach......

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?3031

(courtesy: bus.nycsubway.org)
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Journal Square, Jersey City, 1964.

This timeless scene is straight out of my memory; I cannot tell you how many times over the years Mom and I would board a NHBL #1, heading home after getting off the H&M tubes, or, after shopping in "The Square's" then-bustling business district.

This classic line-up shows the diversity of the NHBL fleet, back then; A WHITE 1144 is bound for the PABT on the #5 line (note the placard in the windshield), is in the company of an Old Look and a MACK.

Note that "FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE" is playing at the majestic LOEW's theatre across the Boulevard; also note the art-deco bus waiting shelters.

Mom used to enjoy shopping at the now long-defunct "J. M. FIELDS".

The H&M/PATH tubes and the PRR tracks run directly beneath the waiting buses; though the historic theatre still shows films today, this area is vastly different today.

When the new PATH Transportation Center opened in 1974, it removed the buses from the Square itself, thus depriving the stores and other businesses of much of their business.

Sadly, the Square has never recovered.

The buses seen here would, in about 15 minutes, would be passing right by our old Union City apartment building on 13th St. (Mom told me that I wasn't even a year old, and I was already hooked on the buses rolling by on the Boulevard.......I never doubted that!) Very Happy

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?650

(courtesy: bus.nycsubway.org)7
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Photos of ACF-BRILL C-44's are very difficult to come by today (unless you are digging into the Motor Bus Society's archives!)

Oddly, MANY photos of C-44 trolley buses are easily found on the 'net!

Those I remember back in the 60's were all suburban models, operated by DE CAMP, INTER-CITY, and SOMERSET.

Out of these three companies, Mom and I rode the Brills of DE CAMP and INTER-CITY.

The SOMERSET C-44's I remember seeing rumbling in and out of the "Port Of Authority", or around the Lincoln Tunnel area.

Those of INTER-CITY's were especially handsome; timetables of that era had the legend : "THE BROWN BUS WITH THE ORANGE BAND" on the front.

I still have a memory of being about 5, and a DE CAMP driver picking me up and held me high enough that I could turn the roller curtain of a JSQ-bound DE CAMP Brill on the #22, at the old Caldwell station (Mom and I were on our way home from visiting my aunt and uncle in West Orange)

I can STILL remember the SMELL of that big BRILL, on that warm summer's day, so many years ago....... Very Happy

"NYO"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: