BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Most Iconic New York Bus

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:06 pm    Post subject: The Most Iconic New York Bus Reply with quote

All:

IMHO, no other New York bus has become as much as icon as the Fifth Avenue double-deckers.......most especially, the "open toppers".

In many classic New York-oriented movies and theatrical cartoons the once-familiar "open topper" seemed as much a part of New York as the subway, the Statue of Liberty, and Times Square.

There are many, many mentions of such buses in old books, for both adults and children

The most famous of these was "BLUNDERBUS"; this was the story of "Old Number 3", the very last open-top 5th Avenue bus, all alone among a fleet of sleek Old Looks (wonderfully brought to life by the book's illustrator!)

Despite his advanced age, he is well regarded by the sleek single-deck buses, with the exception of #11, the chief "stirrer" of the fleet.

A bus who even treats his passengers (and other motorists with contempt) Number 11 continually sneers at Number 3, calling him "Gramps" and making none-too-subtle remarks about the Company's plan to scrap him.

Not to worry......this wonderful old children's story does indeed have a HAPPY ending! (book was published in 1951; yes, I DO have a copy!

This is a great collectable book that I feel every FACCo. enthusiast should have in his library (copies are not too hard to find, and are usually very reasonable in price)

My late mother and my two (late) older brothers also well remembered the wonderful experience of riding on an "open top" 5th Avenue bus.

So.....when you see a modern, state-of-the-art, hi-tech MTA bus prowling the streets of New York, pause a moment and just remember the "Great Grandfathers" of today's MTA buses.........Wink

"NYO"

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:18 pm; edited 3 times in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The iconic Fifth Avenue "open topper", truly a historic bus that deserves to live on, at least in memories, photos, and films........

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?2386

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?3400

(courtesy: bus.nycsubway.org)
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "Great Grandad" of today's modern fleet......

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?2413

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?2414

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?2417

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"The Generation Gap".........

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?2415

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"The Golden Years".........

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?3398

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?3388

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:43 pm; edited 4 times in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still remember an old (1940's) children's book I read long, long ago; I believe it was called "A Year In The City".

In the chapter on "Summer", I still recall the line: "......people ride on top of buses......"

If a modern city child were to read that line, just imagine the image that would pop into his/her head, not knowing about the old "open-toppers" on 5th Avenue.......... Shocked Rolling Eyes

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That the old "open toppers" had to have an appeal (quite nostalgic!) on their own, a liquor decanter ( "O. B. R. KENTUCKY STRAIGHT WHISKEY BOURBON") was sold, (back in the 70's) made to look like a 5th Avenue open-top bus.

The bus is made of "COLONIAL" china, and (like "Blunderbus"), is signed for Route # 3.

This is a really nice piece that is now getting more difficult to find ( bought mine off of eBay several years ago for $35.00....not bad!!) Wink

"NYO"

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is from "BLUNDERBUS" (1951):

The Mayor said:

"..........transportation is important in the city, and buses are important to transportation....."

".......the General Manager said, 'the newest buses come first, naturally'......."

The mayor politely disagreed:

".....you see, transportation has grown up with the city. I'd like the folks to understand how it has changed. I was wondering if we couldn't start the Parade Of Buses with one of those old double-deckers....the open kind. I know you have some still running, I know, for one helped me out of a snowdrift last winter....."

(I like the way this Mayor thought!) Wink

"NYO"
MaBSTOA 15

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the irony of the Hollywood movies is that they borrowed open top double deckers, labeled and sometimes painted in FACCo colors, from Los Angeles Railway and placed them in the backlots “New York” street sets!
MaBSTOA 15

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the irony of the Hollywood movies is that they borrowed open top double deckers, labeled and sometimes painted in FACCo colors, from Los Angeles Railway and placed them in the backlots “New York” street sets!
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaBSTOA 15 wrote:

MaBSTOA:

How right you are! Very Happy

In a circa-1930 Laurel & Hardy short, "HOG WILD", there is a neat segment involving a Los Angeles open top double decker; in one of their later shorts (early 40's), Ollie was aboard an open-top double decker that ends up on a roller coaster! Shocked

A neat looking miniature of the bus was also used for the roller coaster scenes!

Also, in an early 40's "OUR GANG" short, "GOIN' FISHIN", the story focuses on the gang going fishing via an elderly open topper, lettered "INTER CITY LINES" (character actor Paul Hurst played the harried conductor!)......

"NYO"

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From Laurel & Hardy's "HOG WILD".........

http://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_26832-Yellow-Coach-Z-AAAM-354-1928-.html

(courtesy: imcdb.org)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: