BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ST Macks on 125th St, 1949, etc.....
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
N4 Jamaica

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoy the free-for-all copying of photos on Pinterest, as many interesting shots appear. However, errors of labeling are rampant, and I have given up trying to correct them. The corrections apparently do not carry with further pasting. Flickr keeps the comments in sequence, so a discussion about date and location is possible.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

N4 Jamaica wrote:
I enjoy the free-for-all copying of photos on Pinterest, as many interesting shots appear. However, errors of labeling are rampant, and I have given up trying to correct them. The corrections apparently do not carry with further pasting. Flickr keeps the comments in sequence, so a discussion about date and location is possible.

N4:

Probably the WORST offenders in this department are the softcover "IMAGES OF RAIL" series (i.e. "IMAGES OF AMERICA"); not only have I found many glaring errors in the photo captions, but, many times, the captions are beyond self-explanatory, and, sad to say, often quite juvenile.

There was one photo in an "IMAGES" book on Philly streetcars, that shows an aerial view of one of the PTC's larger carbarns/garages; the picture was said to have been taken from "a hot air balloon" in "1925".

Look closely, and you will see PCC's, Old Looks, and 1950's automobiles!
Shocked Shocked

Certainly NOT 1925!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Shocked Shocked

On the other hand, the "IMAGES" books are outstanding, so far as photo contents go; many, many rare old views that really make the price of the book worthwhile buying....

"NYO"
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
W.B.:

It never ceases to amaze me as to how many vintage transit photos photos are either incorrectly dated, or give the wrong locations.

I have also seen many glaring errors in transit publications as well.

To many people (especially those who are not "experts" in the hobby), the info given is taken at face value only.

I know I've scratched my head at many photos, wondering if the captions were correct or not; with others, I simply thought that those who took and posted the photos knew more than I did.....

In my case, I live in the area, and know that section like the back of my hand, even though everything about it has changed in the ~56 years since that pic was taken. The "Outlet" store, I vaguely remember passing it on trips over the 11 bus from my youth.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: