BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tommorrow's "classics"? Your opinions are welcome!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
traildriver

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NYO--

I believe the reason you perceive the 'Flex' as being more solid and tougher, may be because of the more angular lines, instead of the graceful curves of the GM's...especially around the windshield and bumper, etc.

Personally, I find the GM styling far more 'aesthetic', and easy on the eye.
Of course, General Motor's had the very best industrial designer's on their staff in that era...the likes of Harley Earl and Bill Mitchell, as well as some outside help earlier from Raymond Loewy on Greyhound designated coaches.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver wrote:
NYO--

I believe the reason you perceive the 'Flex' as being more solid and tougher, may be because of the more angular lines, instead of the graceful curves of the GM's...especially around the windshield and bumper, etc.

Personally, I find the GM styling far more 'aesthetic', and easy on the eye.
Of course, General Motor's had the very best industrial designer's on their staff in that era...the likes of Harley Earl and Bill Mitchell, as well as some outside help earlier from Raymond Loewy on Greyhound designated coaches.

W.B.:

I would have to agree with you on all counts!

Yes, the more "angular" lines of the Flex IS more than likely why I have thought of the Flex New Look as looking more "solid" than its GM counterpart.

However, the GM New Look, to this day (IMHO) represents the very epitome of transit bus design; think about it....the first entered service in 1959, and buses of the same overall styling were STILL hard at work into the 90's!

It really is no wonder why the GM New Look was deemed so attractive and handsome, back in the day....easily, this bus was one of GM's finest! wink:

"NYO"
traildriver

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But you would have to give credit for the six-year older PD-4104 that clearly influenced the styling of the New Look's....

And then, in turn give credit to the New Look's for providing its 'greenhouse' to the 'Buffalo' coach in 1966.... Smile
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver wrote:
But you would have to give credit for the six-year older PD-4104 that clearly influenced the styling of the New Look's....

And then, in turn give credit to the New Look's for providing its 'greenhouse' to the 'Buffalo' coach in 1966.... Smile

traildriver:

Right you are, my friend! Wink

No wonder I called the "Buffalo" either the "Baby Scenicruiser" or the "Scenicruiser Jr."............. Very Happy

"NYO"
MaBSTOA 15

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding New York Omnibus 2629’s comments about buses built by Proterra ...

First, I agree with you, modern buses are UGLY! After the RTS I don’t like anything on the road. Mix feelings about the Flxible 870/Metro.

However, the Proterra at least have a nice rounded feature unlike everything else that look alike no matter the builder. They all look like 2x4s with wheels.

The Proterra is assembled here in Greenville, SC and at least once a month I drive by the factory and see their buses in different stages of production. In fact I saw the SEPTA buses awaiting delivery. Unfortunately, I missed the NYC buses.

Today I saw one on I-85 on its way to a buyer. Couldn’t tell the name of the operator.

Overall they are really not that bad.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaBSTOA 15 wrote:
Regarding New York Omnibus 2629’s comments about buses built by Proterra ...

First, I agree with you, modern buses are UGLY! After the RTS I don’t like anything on the road. Mix feelings about the Flxible 870/Metro.

However, the Proterra at least have a nice rounded feature unlike everything else that look alike no matter the builder. They all look like 2x4s with wheels.

The Proterra is assembled here in Greenville, SC and at least once a month I drive by the factory and see their buses in different stages of production. In fact I saw the SEPTA buses awaiting delivery. Unfortunately, I missed the NYC buses.

Today I saw one on I-85 on its way to a buyer. Couldn’t tell the name of the operator.

Overall they are really not that bad.

MaBSTOA 15:

Great comments; always good to hear the views and opinions of others, regarding a certain type of bus....... Wink

Yes, most modern buses are UGLY, resembling either oversized milk cartons/shoe boxes, or giant, mutated insectoid-like creatures (I guess we older guys were ALL spoiled rotten by such timeless classics as the Old Looks and the Fishbowls!) Very Happy

In our day, a BUS looked like a BUS; it was as simple as that!

I have to admit, though, it will be interesting to see just how the perform in the future....I wonder if NJT will at least get a demo to try out at some point.....

"NYO"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: