BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What's going on with The Hound?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 26, 27, 28  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More FURNESS nostalgia..........

http://www.cruiselinehistory.com/furness-bermuda-line-the-millionaires-ships-from-new-york-to-bermuda
traildriver

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NYO--

I was fortunate to sail to Bermuda in 2012 aboard Holland America Line's MS Veendam. It was a wonderful 7 day cruise from New York, and we spent 3 nights right alongside Front Street in downtown Hamilton.
The only ships's sailing from the Port of New York to Bermuda currently, are much too large to get into Hamilton harbor, and instead tie up at the Royal Naval Dockyards, at the West End. From there you have to take either a ferry or bus to reach Hamilton.

Bermuda is a beautiful place to vacation in. While there I bought a 3 day pass good on both the ferries and buses all over the island.
The buses are interesting...they have this "guard rail" extending out from top to bottom along their left front corner (the curb side, in this "keep left" English style driving). The reason is there is absolutely no sidewalks or even shoulder's on the roads, and houses and other buildings come right to the edge of the traffic lane. Incredible!

https://www.google.com/search?q=bermuda+bus+system+photos&rlz=1C1CHZL_enUS739US739&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=7i20alyhLj4p2M%253A%252CqHVCmPzsHIcLhM%252C_&usg=AI4_-kS9PquympMMVP9W-nNsQz6VYrfEVg&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj0j-ib5sjdAhXkkOAKHZFnCogQ9QEwCnoECAAQGA#imgdii=nBu3V5x7HGOqVM:&imgrc=7i20alyhLj4p2M:
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

Thanks for posting this link......interesting stuff, to say the least! Wink

It is not surprising to learn that the current generation of cruise ships is far too large to dock in Hamilton; several years ago, from Weehawken, I saw a cruise ship pulling out; at first, I thought it was a new condo complex, built on a pier.....that is, until I saw it start to move! Shocked

It never ceases to amaze me how any ship that huge can leave or enter a pier without the aid of tugboats; of course, I know that the modern steering/propulsion systems have virtually done away with the need for tugboats, but, to me, it just ain't the same!

I still have many memories of those doughty little MORAN tugs assisting those majestic ocean monarchs as they departed for far-away places, or, were returning home after another voyage.

This fact, and the fact that so few piers are left (and the once-mighty railroad marine fleets have long since disappeared) really drives home the point that the humble workhorse of the harbor, the tug, is no longer indispenseable.

The ocean liners we knew awed you with both their size and their graceful beauty.

Today's cruise ships simply leave you with mouth agape, as you wonder; "How the **** can anything that BIG stay afloat??" Shocked

No matter....it IS all still so interesting! Wink

*In the classic 1956 "I LOVE LUCY" episode, "BON VOYAGE", there is a quick shot showing a MORAN tug at the "CONSTITUTION's" stern, hauling away with ease........ahhh, it all seems so long ago now........

"NYO"

*Can't forget McCALLISTER, either! Wink

The most modern tugs look little like their older counterparts; recall that, even through the transition from steam to diesel, a tugboat's design remained virtually unchanged in appearance.

The classic "NOO YAWK" harbor tug-look indeed was timeless; like the modern cruise ships themselves (as well as the Staten Island ferries) the modern tugs employ modern propulsion systems that would have been science fiction, several decades back......

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:00 am; edited 2 times in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the course of this most interesting discussion (which has turned decidedly seaworthy, I might add!) mention must be made of at least some of the old NY Harbor tug companies.....

MESECK TOWING LINE

McCARREN TOWING LINE

NEWTOWN CREEK TOWING COMPANY

RUSSELL BROTHERS

IRA S. BUSHEY (this company specialized in oil transportation)

ESSO (the company had its own tugs to handle work at their refineries in the harbor)

DALZELL

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great reading....and several vintage photos as well!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tugboats_in_New_York_City

Hard to believe today, but, at one time, NY Harbor had 39 shipyards, not including the massive Brooklyn Navy Yard! Shocked

In any discussion of NY ferries, ocean liners, cruise ships, etc, we would be amiss if we didn't give at least a brief nod to these humble little harbor workhorses...... Wink

'NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fleet of "MILLER'S LAUNCH", home port, good ol' Staten Island......Wink

http://www.millerslaunch.com/vessels/tugboats/
traildriver

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NYO...

Do you recall the days that the Holland America Line docked at Hoboken? It did so from the 5th Street Pier, until 1963, when it moved to its new base at Manhattan's Pier 40.
Here's a timeline history... https://hoboken.pastperfectonline.com/bysearchterm?keyword=Holland+America+Line

Sadly, nowadays HAL has practically abandoned its long rich heritage at the Port of New York. It runs a transatlantic each September into NY, then a cruise up to Quebec, a cruise back, another one up, and then reposition's to Florida for the season. Sometimes they will have a world cruise or other repo cruise in the spring make a brief call. Meanwhile, they have two ships homeported in Boston half the year....

As for tugboats....
Yes...modern cruise ships have amazing manoeuvrability, with their azipod's in the stern, and powerful thrusters in the bow. They can spin in place, and slide sideways into a wharf.

BUT...getting into the 'finger pier's' of Manhattan's Cruise Ship Terminal is still a tricky business, even so, as the Carnival Horizon experienced a couple of weeks ago. While making her swing into Berth Two of Pier 88, her bow made contacy with the end of Pier 90...
https://cruiseradio.net/carnival-cruise-ship-strikes-pier-in-new-york-city/

She did not have a tug assisting her.
Making that 90 degree turn into the berth is trick, especially with the strong river and/or tidal currents, as well as strong winds blowing against the tall superstructure (like a huge sail). And as the ship gets halfway into the slip, it is in "slack water", while the other half is still impacted by the current.

When the Horizon departed for Florida a couple of days ago, the tug James D Moran assisted her. Wink

I am not certain if it is the Captain, or the Sandy Hook Pilot, who makes the decision as to whether or not tugboat assistance is needed...
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

As always, a great response with much "food for thought"! Wink

I indeed do recall HAL pier in Hoboken as a youngster; one of my older brothers had a buddy who worked at the Hoboken pier, and would give us passes to tour the ship while she was at the dock!

I still clearly remember going aboard the regal "NIEUW AMSTERDAM, circa 1962!

Recall, too, that the old HAL pier (5th St., Hoboken) was seen several times in the classic 1954 film, "ON THE WATERFRONT".

I also recall seeing old lettering on an old pier or two for the "PORTO RICO LINE", from the decks of a Circle Line boat, back in the early/mid-60's.

I did watch news coverage of that mishap involving the "CARNIVAL HORIZON" a few weeks back.....ouch!!!Shocked

Being a "skipper" for ANY sizeable vessel entering or leaving NY Harbor indeed requires STAMINA and is certainly NOT for the faint of heart! Rolling Eyes

"NYO"

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:45 pm; edited 2 times in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See also:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holland_America_Line

http://www.cruiselinehistory.com/tag/porto-rico-line
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Few today recall EASTERN STEAMSHIP LINES......

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_Steamship_Lines
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recalling the WARD LINE............

http://www.theshipslist.com/ships/lines/ward.shtml
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See also:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ward_Line
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just my own opinion, here........

To the younger generation, the term "cruise ship" is all they know regarding passenger carrying-ships; the term "ocean liner" would be, in most cases, quite alien to them.

Think about it........as recently as the 1960's (and, to a lesser extant, the 1970's) one could set sail from New York to not only tropical "ports of call", but also, to many European destinations as well.

England, France, Italy, to name a few.........the great liners of old indeed were "floating palaces" to the millions who sailed forth across the Atlantic for many decades.

Today, only the fabled CUNARD fleet are what we old-time purists would call an "ocean liner"; however, we are all grateful, to be sure, that at least today's modern cruise ships do, in a great way, carry on the traditions of old....... Wink

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In discussing modern cruise ship/classic liners, it is interesting to consider just how the ships were built for the sea lanes they would sail for many years.

The old North Atlantic liners, sailing in Northern waters, had no need of the vast open promenades typical of modern cruise ships.

Cruise ships, on the other hand, have no need of enclosed promenades, since these ships sail to tropical climates; too, when a "traditional" liner might find herself operating on a tropical cruise, it became quite apparent that such vessels were not designed to operate in the warmer climates.

Air-conditioning, of course, is something we all take for granted, both on shore and on the high seas.

Back in the day, there was little need for air-conditioning, when the liners were crossing the North Atlantic.

Too, by the 1960's, with the Carribbean only a few hours away from the numbing New York winters by jet, and the cooler climate of Bermuda less desirable in the winter, the island's peak vacation season has long since become the summer.

This is why the air-conditioned cruise ships that call on Bermuda these days do so almost always only during the summer months.......

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO, the BEST "disaster at sea" ocean liner film ever; it does not get more exiting or realistic than this! Shocked

A truly dramatic and professional film with a classic all-star cast(1960)

The "SS CLARIDON" was "played" by the FRENCH LINE veteran "ILE DE FRANCE", which was, ironically, to be scrapped in Japan after the film was completed.

I just watched the film (again!!) earlier; the boiler/engine room scenes could not be more authentic (nor more frightening).......

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Last_Voyage

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 26, 27, 28  Next
Page 27 of 28

Jump to: