BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What's going on with The Hound?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
traildriver

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NYO-

I am very sorry that you would have difficulty traveling to the City....if you find that you could, you would be most welcome...just let me know.

The article in the Porthole showed a nice shot of the beautiful West Point depot of the West Shore, along with what looked like Army buses and I suppose Red and Tan Suburban's at the landing.

Very nostalgic shot of the SS United States, now rusting away in Philly, with the landmark "Gas Heats Best" Con Ed gas tanks along the West Side Highway.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver wrote:
NYO-

I am very sorry that you would have difficulty traveling to the City....if you find that you could, you would be most welcome...just let me know.

The article in the Porthole showed a nice shot of the beautiful West Point depot of the West Shore, along with what looked like Army buses and I suppose Red and Tan Suburban's at the landing.

Very nostalgic shot of the SS United States, now rusting away in Philly, with the landmark "Gas Heats Best" Con Ed gas tanks along the West Side Highway.

traildriver:

Thank you once again; greatly appreciate the invite!

The ERIE-LACKAWANNA operated several excursions up to West Point from Hoboken (early 1960's), utilizing the NYC's West Shore tracks (passenger service on the West Shore ended in 1959; the ferryboats from Weehawken shut down earlier that year.)

That "GAS HEATS BEST" gas tank was such a familiar sight; I well recall seeing it from Boulevard East in Weehawken as well as from the Circle Line.

When I was quite young, I remember excursion boats docked at Pier "C" at Exchange Place in Jersey City, opposite the former PRR terminal.

I know that boats of the WILSON and MESECK lines docked there, as well as boats to Keansburg (the old "WILSON LINES" electric sign was still intact over the pier's entrance in the late 70's, even though the excursion boats were long gone)

Freighters also used this pier, which has no been gone many years.

In 1985, I saw the long-neglected "CITY OF KEANSBURG" moored at a pier near the site of the old ERIE passenger terminal at the foot of Pavonia Avenue in Jersey City; I know this handsome and historic excursion vessel no longer exists.

A friend and former co-worker of mine told me of how his mother worked the concession counters on the WILSON LINES boats out of Exchange Place; in fact, his grandmother's Jersey City church would organize a charter trip on either the WILSON or MESECK boats, getting down to PIER "C" via a chartered "BINETTI" bus..........

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More on the "HAMILTON"........

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PS_Alexander_Hamilton
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remembering the veteran "CITY OF KEANSBURG", a historic vessel more than worthy of preservation.......

http://www.worldshipny.com/citykeansb.shtml

*In the 1964 photo, look carefully across the Hudson from Battery Park and you'll spot the old CNJ terminal in Jersey City, which was then still in operation! Wink
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2018 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's an interesting bus-related tidbit on the "CITY OF KEANSBURG":

Prior to 1961, passengers arriving at Keansburg were treated to a ride down the pier on a miniature railway; after a storm destroyed the pier in 1961, the boat's destination was changed to Atlantic Highlands, with a bus connection to Keansburg Beach.

Sometime around 1966, this pier was destroyed by fire and not rebuilt.

After that, the veteran excursion steamer was reduced to making harbor cruises until 1968, when she was retired.

On a related note, the WILSON LINE once operated service to Monmouth Park Racetrack (via Exchange Place, the Battery, and the 69th St. ferry pier), with buses meeting the boats which then carried passengers direct to the racetrack.......

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While we are still on the "high seas", a brief nod to these monstrous vessels should be included here.

Note that, after WW1, not only motor cars and lorries, but also "B"-Type buses shared deck space with railway rolling stock to return to England........

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roll-on/roll-off
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember, too, the SCENICRUISERS that were shipped overseas, many years back.

One coach, (EASTERN GREYHOUND LINES #4374) in conjunction with PAN AMERICAN WORLD AIRWAYS, was shipped to Europe on a 30-day, multi0country tour to promote GREYHOUND's "Visit The USA For $99" campaign. In the late 60's, the company's new Far Eastern joint venture was known as KOREA GREYHOUND; a total of forty buses were overhauled in San Francisco, and then shipped to Korea.

In this case, both SCENICRUISERS and 4104's set sail upon the high seas.......

"NYO"
traildriver

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
Remember, too, the SCENICRUISERS that were shipped overseas, many years back.

One coach, (EASTERN GREYHOUND LINES #4374) in conjunction with PAN AMERICAN WORLD AIRWAYS, was shipped to Europe on a 30-day, multi0country tour to promote GREYHOUND's "Visit The USA For $99" campaign. In the late 60's, the company's new Far Eastern joint venture was known as KOREA GREYHOUND; a total of forty buses were overhauled in San Francisco, and then shipped to Korea.

In this case, both SCENICRUISERS and 4104's set sail upon the high seas.......

"NYO"

Yes...I remember that. Do you remember this? Unlike other operation's around the globe that used the Greyhound name and logo, such as the Australian company that had no relation, this one was a joint venture between Greyhound and this Dutch company...
https://www.google.com/search?q=vavo+greyhound&rlz=1C1CHZL_enUS739US739&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=8xsJmTe1RzmLDM%253A%252CGTiz3fDj0eaK4M%252C_&usg=AFrqEzfYuhZ-lS149eQpTVxloXhfd-8TLA&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjSjZywq73dAhVQT98KHdd3DE4Q9QEwA3oECAUQBg#imgrc=957SW49xF1e84M:

And how about this one?
https://www.google.com/search?q=greyhound+aramco&rlz=1C1CHZL_enUS739US739&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=naYuZRSzOtycrM%253A%252Ct7qp8pT-6MhjfM%252C_&usg=AFrqEze8vGYAru4O16lGAm862RpohsKbAg&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiAxayprL3dAhXNMd8KHRPaBWsQ9QEwCHoECAYQBg#imgrc=naYuZRSzOtycrM:
traildriver

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have read of at least two Scenicruiser's imported and restored by someone in England and in Germany...
traildriver

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's kind of ironic that Greyhound is currently owned by a UK company that tried to exploit the famous name, back home....apparently, it wasn't a success...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greyhound_UK

And we have global bus operator's here as well, including Megabus and Veolia.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver wrote:
I have read of at least two Scenicruiser's imported and restored by someone in England and in Germany...

traildriver:

Yes, I have read of this also.

Quite awhile ago, I read an article on-line (w/photos) of a Dutch bus enthusiast who was restoring a SILVERSIDES; indeed, this "All American" bus looked a wee bit out of place with windmills in the background, and tulips bordering the road side.....(!!) Rolling Eyes

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also recall seeing a photo ( I think it might be in one of my GREYHOUND books) showing either a SCENICRUISER or a 4104 posing for a publicity shot on Governors Island.

This would have been when the island was still an Army base (pre-COAST GUARD era).

The bus would have crossed over via one of the Army ferries from the old Battery Maritime Building at Whitehall St., adjacent to the Staten Island ferry slips (this terminal also once served ferries to Brooklyn).....

"NYO"

*The Army ferries used into the 60's were the diesels "LT. SAMUEL S.COURSEN" and "PVT. NICOLAS MINUE", as well as the steamer " MAJOR GENERAL WILLIAM H. HART"

In the late 60's, the "HART" was retired and replaced by the ex-69th St. boat, "THE TIDES", which, along with her sister "THE NARROWS" had been on charter to the CNJ between 1965 and 1967, operating between Jersey City and Liberty St., lower Manhattan.

"THE NARROWS" was stripped of parts to keep "THE TIDES" in operation.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the Wikipedia page for the "S.S. CONSTITUTION" (recall, the Ricardos and the Mertzes set sail for Europe aboard this graceful liner back in 1956!) there is a great photo from 1953 showing the ship docked at Haifa.

Several buses are at pierside; note that the coach in the foreground is a FLXIBLE Visicoach, operating for the "ISRAEL TOURIST SERVICE"; a neat historical photo for sea dogs and landlubbers alike........ Wink

"NYO"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Constitution
traildriver

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The SS Constitution was a beautiful sleek ocean liner. Much of her mid-century modern interior was designed by Henry Dreyfuss....yes, the very same industrial designer that designed the brilliant 1938 and 1949 Twentieth Century Limited trains for the New York Central... Cool
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver wrote:
The SS Constitution was a beautiful sleek ocean liner. Much of her mid-century modern interior was designed by Henry Dreyfuss....yes, the very same industrial designer that designed the brilliant 1938 and 1949 Twentieth Century Limited trains for the New York Central... Cool

traildriver:

How important "style" and "streamlining" was to the designers of motor coaches, rail equipment, and vessels, many decades ago....not only were they FUNCTIONAL, they are also ATTRACTIVE as well (gee whiz, where has that era disappeared to??) Rolling Eyes

The legendary GG-1 and FLXIBLE's Clippers and Visicoaches indeed come to mind here; of course, the SCENICRUISER was in a class all its own! Wink

Ditto "The World's First Streamline Ferry", the eye-popping "KALALAKALA".

The only truly modern "streamlined" ferryboat to operate on the Hudson was the "JOHN J. WALSH", which entered service in 1938 on the Alpine (NJ)-Yonkers ferry line.

She had a single pilothouse that doubled as two, and had a great open deck for maximum vehicular capacity; she was painted in silver with black lettering.

At that time, the ferry line was carrying over 300,00 vehicles a year!

For many years, to ex-DL&W sidewheelers operated on this line; after the arrival of the WALSH, one of the these boats became a relief boat.

In 1951, after the 125th st. ferry was shut down, one of the original "Electric Ferries", the "WEEHAWK" entered service.

By the mid-1950's, the Westchester Ferry Company found itself coping with financial issues, and the crossing shut down in December of 1956.........

"NYO"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28  Next
Page 24 of 28

Jump to: