BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Second Hand NYCTA/MTA Old Looks

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:29 pm    Post subject: Second Hand NYCTA/MTA Old Looks Reply with quote

All:

I know that (several) ex-NYCTA/MTA Old Looks were sold upon retirement to Jersey City-based "LAFAYETTE & GREENVILLE".

Did any other Jersey "indies" (or companies in other areas) ever purchase other ex-New York Old Looks?

Appreciate any info........thanks again...... Wink

"NYO"

(Back in the day, I sure had a LOT of fun riding these old relics!) Very Happy

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are two 1970's photos of L&G Old Looks; if I recall correctly, our late friend and bus expert, Mr. Linsky, long ago, said that the bus seen OOS at a Hoboken bus yard was an ex-New York bus (I am not sure about the other)

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?690

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?691

(courtesy: bus.nycsubway.org)
MaBSTOA 15

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read somewhere that NYCTA did not sell their retired buses because if they sold them that meant they could still be used. Therefore, they were scrapped.

However, the bus pictured in the first photo is definitely an NYCTA TDH-5106 from the 9000 series.

But the second bus' New York City heritage comes into question.

After carefully looking at the photo, and based on two items: 1) engine air intake above the last window; 2) the curved handrail by the windshield indicates that this bus is a TDH-4512.

No NY City operator had this model except for Green Bus lines. And their 4512s had the round directional signals and Michigan marker lights.

Queens-Nassau Transit and Steinway Transit had TDH-4509s with the type of directional signals, large arrow shape, but they had windows with split sash.

The bus in the picture you posted, IMHO has a Public Service Coordinate heritage. PS had TDH-4512s with the arrow shaped directional signals. Lack of "GM" wings might be because PS installed their own "wings"

Food for thought!

BTW, the photo of Lafayette-Greenville #215 is listed as an ex-NYCTA. That is incorrect. It has jack-knife rear door and arrow directional signals. Not equipment found on any NYCTA TDH-5106.

Hoboken Transportation bus number 7 is an ex-Green Bus Lines number 112, a TDH-4512.

GBLHOBOKEN4512.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  183.74 KB
 Viewed:  9160 Time(s)

GBLHOBOKEN4512.jpg

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaBSTOA 15:

Greatly appreciate all the stats and info you provided; thank you! Wink

How well l remember that particular Washington St. bus in Hoboken; long ago, Mr. Linksky (may our good friend RIP) informing me that the bus was an ex-GREEN BUS vehicle.

WASHINGTON ST. lines was always a rolling bus museum, operating a real mixed back of second (and possibly third) hand relics.

I also well remember the 4512's operated by PSNJ (running on the #16 and #17 just up the block from our old apartment house in Union City, back in the 60's)

I easily remember those arrow-shaped directionals!

How many times I rode those old Hoboken relics just for the fun of it; I still have an audio cassette I made on one of the Old Looks, recording a complete ride from 14th St. to the PATH tubes at Hudson Place.

Again, thanks for some really interesting info.........

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two WASHINGTON ST. buses (at Hoboken)

In the second photo, note that the ex-PS bus is still wearing its last PS colors, but has (of course) lost its PS insignias and nose "wings".

In thinking back, If my memory still serves me correctly, one of the very last WASHINGTON STREET Old Looks (ex-PS) was "# 30 X", and was then still in operation ("MARIA TRANSPORTATION"?), circa-1985, and still wearing its old PS two-tone green paint..........

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?638

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?639

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hoboken, 1974 (Hudson Pl. terminal)

Note arrow-shaped directionals........

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?2960

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: