BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What's going on with The Hound?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 26, 27, 28  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
traildriver

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
Here's two 1950's views of SILVERSIDES at the GREYHOUND terminal opposite the late, great Pennsylvania Station.........

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?4241

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?4243 (note the 4103 on the left)

(courtesy: bus.nycsubway.org)

I believe that the photographer mis-labeled the "4101's'...they should be 4151's....the 4103 is correct.

This is what a PD-4101 looks like....
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78217718@N06/8679133202
traildriver

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
traildriver:

I remember as a very young lad that old GREYHOUND terminal opposite Pennsylvania Station; I still have a tin SCENICRUISER that Mom bought for me at the newsstand/souvenir counter (the bus has lithographed images on its roof depicting the Statue of Liberty, the Empire State Building, Rockefeller Center, the U.N., and Coney Island (replete with the Parachute Jump!)

It used to be great fun watching those big buses growl and hum as they entered and left the terminal!

For many years, I recall a large painted sign on the side of a building near the PABT, advertising the old "ALL-AMERICAN BUS TERMINAL", which, of course, predated the PABT.

I also remember a HUGE "model" Scenicruiser at the "Port-of-Authority" as a kid; it had a hallowed-out top and was used to hold (if memory serves me correctly) timetables and/or brochures.

I sure hope somebody today has that masterpiece in their collection today; it sure would have been a shame to see it tossed out as trash!

Too, recall the extensive advertising campaign of GREYHOUND back in the 60's; I especially remember the TV commercials touting to home viewers: "GO GREYHOUND.....AND LEAVE THE DRIVING TO US!"

Years later, I remember the late Pearl Bailey doing a GREYHOUND commercial.

Memories, memories.......

"NYO"

Way back in 1954, when with much hoopla, the Scenicruiser was introduced, Greyhound's stellar PR men put them on nationwide displays at major terminals across the country.
As a seven year old child, I dragged my mother into The City, to the PGL terminal on 34th Street to see it. When we got there, the line went clear around the block! Of course, I had to 'pay her back', by then going thru Macy's with her for a couple of hours... Laughing

Can you even imagine that kind of interest in a bus, today? Smile
traildriver

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you remember, "Hi Ho, Steverino", Louis Nye's greeting to Steve Allen, on the Sunday night, NBC prime time "Steve Allen Show" in the fifties?
The entire show was sponsored by The Greyhound Corporation, and had great ads, as well as some live appearances by "Lady Greyhound" the mascot.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver wrote:
Do you remember, "Hi Ho, Steverino", Louis Nye's greeting to Steve Allen, on the Sunday night, NBC prime time "Steve Allen Show" in the fifties?
The entire show was sponsored by The Greyhound Corporation, and had great ads, as well as some live appearances by "Lady Greyhound" the mascot.

traildriver:

Next to "Lassie", "Lady Greyhound" was my indeed FAVORITE dog....what a beauty!! Very Happy

The SCENICRUISER not only toured the US, but also overseas; I have seen 1950's era photos of a SCENICRUISER (Eastern Greyhound's #4374) touring 13 European cities (London, Paris, Amsterdam, etc.)

One can only imagine the startled looks when Europeans got their first "up close" look at such a stunning and futuristic bus!! Shocked Shocked

In the 70's, several SCENICRUISERS were shipped over to Korea; yes, indeed, once upon a fabled yesteryear, GREYHOUND was indeed riding high!

Who could ever imagine what the future held, several decades distant.....

"NYO"

BTW: When the original EAGLES first hit the American scene in the late 50's, there was also a lot of hoopla and media coverage, showcasing these startling new buses.

But, somehow or other, it was the immortal SCENICRUISER that indeed became "America's Favorite Bus"! Wink
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I.I.N.M., weren't those "Scenicruisers" an impetus for the subsequent design of the 'New Look' buses a.k.a. 'Fishbowls'? This would show just how influential "the Hound" was in its day. . . .
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B. Fishbowl wrote:
I.I.N.M., weren't those "Scenicruisers" an impetus for the subsequent design of the 'New Look' buses a.k.a. 'Fishbowls'? This would show just how influential "the Hound" was in its day. . . .

W.B:

A good point!

The SCENICRUISER and 4104 were the first GM buses to have the forward-slanting windows; in 1959, these modernistic windows were used (again), on the GMC New Looks, which began entering service that same year.

Remember, too, the SCENICRUISER's production span was quite short; the 4104, on the other hand, was offered from 1954 through 1960.

Then, as "imitation is indeed the sincerest form of flattery", the FLXIBLE company began utilizing the same type of windows on their New Looks, beginning in 1961.

You can also see that certain FLXIBLE and BECK highway coaches that were clearly inspired by GM........

"NYO"

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recall, also, the one-of-a-kind ACF-BRILL that was built in 1949, that was to be a a prototype for TRAILWAYS.

This sleek deck-and-a-half bus, "THE CONTINENTAL", had it been successful, would have been the first of 450 similar buses to be built for CONTINENTAL.

In later years, this unique bus went on to serve "PENN JERSEY".

Sadly, the bus was scrapped many years ago.....

"NYO"

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:41 pm; edited 2 times in total
traildriver

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The PD-4104 actually beat the Scenicruiser into production by one year...The "Highway Traveler's", as Greyhound called them, were introduced in 1953.
The prototype for the Scenicruiser, known as "GX-2", first hit the highway in 1949. The production model, "cleaned up" the styling considerably, IMHO...
http://hankstruckforum.com/htforum/index.php?topic=57645.0
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's pretty obvious what famous AMERICAN highway coach this sleek vehicle is reminiscent of....... Wink

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pegaso_Z-403

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good SCENICRUISER page.....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PD-4501_Scenicruiser
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The SCENICRUISER's closest "relative" were the deck-and-a-half highway coaches built BY BECK.

Only true bus historians (and others "in the know") will see that the BECK was NOT a SCENICRUISER; however, the startlingly close resemblence was indeed 98.99% spot on!

"QUEEN CITY TRAILWAYS" operated several of this type; I have also read that one (or possibly more) once operated in Cuba.....

"NYO"

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fellows:

Here is an excellent page on BECK buses; it is QUITE evident that the company was truly inspired by YELLOW, GM, and FLXIBLE products! Shocked

Some really cool classics, here....... Wink

(be sure to look for the BECK "Scenicruiser-lookalike"!)

"NYO"

http://www.coachbuilt.com/bui/b/beck/beck.htm

(courtesy: coachbuilt)
traildriver

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great links, NYO, thanks!
The dual level design of the Scenicruiser, as we have seen, was not invented by Greyhound and GM, but it had the benefit of styling by pre-eminent industrial designer, Raymond Loewy, who was on a long retainer by Greyhound and GM...

Here's an early ACF deck and a half... http://www.angelfire.com/al/silverball/bus/1030a.jpg

That Spanish coach looks a like like the one-off ACF-Continental, which was based on the ACF-Brill model IC-41 in 1949.
http://joycewiggins.tripod.com/photo/982.jpg

Here's one of many different conventional (front engined) design's from Pacific Car (Kenworth) http://theoldmotor.com/?p=126945

And here's one from Pickwick, which also was probably most famous for its "duplex" design coaches....
https://www.google.com/search?q=pickwick+deck+and+a+half+coach&rlz=1C1CHZL_enUS739US739&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=dXRp2a3TQOLwnM%253A%252C0YRt7zzTMZuwIM%252C_&usg=AFrqEzceyUMhuSP4iCnMNQwmX1S4a4GxdA&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjyx4qjpdHcAhUKvFMKHSo1D0YQ9QEwAXoECAQQBA#imgrc=dXRp2a3TQOLwnM:
traildriver

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a personal note...back when I lived in Denver, and working for Continental Trailways, a Kansas driver knowing of my interest in old buses, tipped me off that this unique ACF-Continental, was sitting in a yard in Valley Center, with a for sale sign on it. I asked him to get me the phone number and give it to me on his next trip.

I called the number, and made arrangements to drive out there on my next rest days. The coach looked a lot better in the late seventies, than in that photo.
I was amazed at its luxurious interior. It was meant for "5 Star Luxury Service" type operation by Continental Trailways, between Kansas City and Wichita. It had a restroom and a small galley for the hostess. It had a radio receiver, and extremely comfortable, deep reclining seats. The bright aluminum siding was anodized a golden tint.

The owner fired up its underfloor "pancake" Hall-Scott engine, and offered me an opportunity to take it for a short drive around his farm, as it did not have license plates. It drove like a dream over the dirt road, due to its very long dual range "velvet ride springs". I decided that I would come back with a mechanic from my Company, and have him evaluate it.
The mechanic was an old-timer, familiar with the ACF buses. When I told him about it, he said that he would not recomment I buy it because of the difficulty in obtaining any parts for it, regardless of how well its current condition was. He told me that if I was set on buying an old coach, I should consider GM's before anything else.

I thought long and hard and debated with myself many times, but ultimately I decided to follow his advice, and informed the seller that. I never did buy anything, and now, looking back, I probably made the wiser decision, but on the other hand, regret the opportunity I had to own a unique and historic coach, that I may have donated to some worthy bus museum at some point.....
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

Glad you enjoyed the links; my pleasure! Wink

Your "ACF-BRILL" Continental story REALLY got me fired up....imagine ALMOST owning such a rare and magnificent old bus!! Shocked

GRYHOUND, at least into the 50's, had a very diverse fleet, to say the least; they operated YELLOW 743's, PG and PD's, (including 4103's), FLXIBLES, AREOCOACHES, ACF's, ACF-BRILLS, and of course, GM's.

GREYHOUND, through the 60's, operated MACK suburban coaches on their commute routes out of San Francisco.

In Canada, GREYHOUND operated those big and beefy MCI Couriers.

Who knew, however, that, by the 60's, GREYHOUND was going to be a loyal MCI customer, forever severing its long-reaching ties with General Motors.....

"NYO"

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Fri Aug 03, 2018 2:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 26, 27, 28  Next
Page 2 of 28

Jump to: