BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Giant Insects" vs "Shoe Boxes"
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
traildriver

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

N4 Jamaica wrote:
[b]Yesterday you posted a link to Queens Transit RTS Bus 1 in the College Point yard, surrounded by four New Looks in 1981.
---
The RTS has a hand-lettered sign, CLEARVIEW. I cannot imagine what route that was.

I am not sure, but it could have been a branch or short terminal of a QM-2 express serving Clearview Gardens section of Bayside....
traildriver

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duplicate post, deleted...
traildriver

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They may not look aesthetic, but the plain box maximizes the space inside, better than something that is 'streamlined'.
Q65A

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me, some ADB designs look as if they were trying too hard to appear new/innovative. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, however. During the early 1960s, I'll bet some transit folks were completely shocked by appearance of the GM Fishbowl. The Fishbowl combined what was leading edge styling with some practical ideas: a significantly larger windshield for improved visibility and safety, plus significantly larger side windows for a brighter interior and improved passenger outward visibility. I have to admit that, for whatever reason, I like the looks of the New Flyer Xcelsior. (Someone on another NYC transit website nicknamed them "Belugas", perhaps due to their prominent front rooftop HVAC enclosures) Conversely, never really liked the looks of the Nova LFS; it's just too radical for me.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Q65A wrote:
To me, some ADB designs look as if they were trying too hard to appear new/innovative. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, however. During the early 1960s, I'll bet some transit folks were completely shocked by appearance of the GM Fishbowl. The Fishbowl combined what was leading edge styling with some practical ideas: a significantly larger windshield for improved visibility and safety, plus significantly larger side windows for a brighter interior and improved passenger outward visibility. I have to admit that, for whatever reason, I like the looks of the New Flyer Xcelsior. (Someone on another NYC transit website nicknamed them "Belugas", perhaps due to their prominent front rooftop HVAC enclosures) Conversely, never really liked the looks of the Nova LFS; it's just too radical for me.

Q65A:

Good post; thanks for taking the time to share your input! Wink

Funny you mentioned the "shocking" appearance of the earliest Fishbowls; the following is from "THE BUS WQRLD ENCYCLOPEDIA OF BUSES" (Ed Stauss):

"........the fishbowl effect was quite startling to some people accustomed to only small-window buses. In Dayton, Ohio, the first order was specially modified to use opaque fiberglass in the lower sections of the windshield, to restore property modesty to the Midwestern city.........."

You also mentioned "Belugas"; oddly enough, that has been the moniker I have used since Day One to describe NJT's HBLR and Newark Subway light rail cars (actually, I call them "Baby Belugas"!) Wink

"NYO"

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:23 am; edited 2 times in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hoboken Terminal, 1981.

A MAN artic demo stands in sharp contrast to the ex-PSNJ/TNJ Fishbowl on the right.

It would be several more years before NJT started taking delivery of VOLVO artics.........

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?3479

(courtesy: bus.nycsubway.org)
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An interesting study in "contrasts".........

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?97

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?3763

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?3766

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baltimore, 1980.

A new RTS is making its appointed rounds, followed by a veteran Fishbowl.

The RTS was perhaps the most unpopular bus type ever to run in the Monumental City.

Their narrow aisles, coupled with stifling interiors during the summer months, were two factors that made this type of bus so unpopular in Baltimore.

Some riders were actually known to let an RTS pass them by, in order to ride an older bus, that would provide a more comfortable ride! Shocked

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?3804

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nova LFS demo #995.................

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?1347

(courtesy: nycsubway.org)
traildriver

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NYO..
That comment you quoted from Ed Stauss, makes me smile...
I recall a local television news reporter interviewing driver's and passenger's aboard a brand new TDH-5301 when they went into service...
The driver commented that it makes him feel that he is always on TV... Very Happy
traildriver

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
Baltimore, 1980.

A new RTS is making its appointed rounds, followed by a veteran Fishbowl.

The RTS was perhaps the most unpopular bus type ever to run in the Monumental City.

Their narrow aisles, coupled with stifling interiors during the summer months, were two factors that made this type of bus so unpopular in Baltimore.

Some riders were actually known to let an RTS pass them by, in order to ride an older bus, that would provide a more comfortable ride! Shocked

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?3804

As futuristic as the styling was on the RTS, I would have to agree...especially when you compare their nominal 46 seats with the older fishbowl's 53 seats.
And sitting in the back seat of the RTS was downright claustrophobic compared to the fishbowl...
traildriver

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NYO..
Loved that shot of the Bee Line ACF....
I hope it was sent to some museum...anyone know?
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver wrote:
NYO..
That comment you quoted from Ed Stauss, makes me smile...
I recall a local television news reporter interviewing driver's and passenger's aboard a brand new TDH-5301 when they went into service...
The driver commented that it makes him feel that he is always on TV... Very Happy

traildriver:

When I was MUCH, MUCH younger, I used to call Fishbowls "Jetson Buses" and "World's Fair Buses"; they were so much a "bus of the future", back in the day!

The Fishbowl was duplicated in many variations by the makers of Japanese tin toys through the 60's; I played with many as a kid, and have many in my collection today.

Truly "America's Bus"! Wink

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

The WORST (IMHO) RTS coaches were those purchased second hand by ACADEMY from DART (this was back in the 90's)

The ride was rough, the wheelchair lift (when needed) almost always jammed, and the a/c (IF it worked at all) was a joke.

Too many PM summer commutes had yours truly stripping off his jacket, tie, and shirt, to avoid possible suffocation!!!!!!!!! Shocked Shocked Shocked

My Panama came in QUITE handy as a makeshift fan!

On the other hand, the old ex-PSNJ/TNJ Z-300 series Fishbowls (which I commuted on for years on the #21/#181) had a/c's that literally made you feel as though you were riding inside a Pacific Express refrigerator car!!!!!!!! Shocked Shocked Shocked

At least, aboard these buses, you didn't feel as though you were en-route to Hades, via Dante's Inferno!!!!!!!!!!! Twisted Evil Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil

Aaaah, memories......

"NYO"

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:47 pm; edited 3 times in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few vintage STEINWAY scenes............. Wink

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?399

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?406 *No problem in trying to read this destination sign!

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?412

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?1398

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: