BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Does anyone remember this bus?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 11:14 pm    Post subject: Does anyone remember this bus? Reply with quote

All:

Back in the late 1990's, pre-9/11 2000's, I used to regularly see an ex-TRIBORO (?) Fishbowl during the morning rush hour, passing by the Twin Towers.

You could see the outlines of the old lettering on the sides; I believe the bus was being used by an Orthodox Jewish congregation.

The bus seemed to be in pretty decent condition, but it was clear that the rear had not seen a good scrubbing in a quite a long time.

I might have even snapped off a quick picture of this bus back then, but, if I did, I have not seen the photo in years.

Anyone else recall this bus? (did this group own any other ex-TRIBORO buses?)

Thanks in advance.....

"NYO"
Hart Bus

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was bus 743. The bus was donated by TCC to the NYPD. It was christened as Highway District # and bore fleet number 3301. It was kept at the precinct on the north side of the Grand Central Parkway, near 188th Street. Then sometime around 9/11 the light bar on the roof and several other things were removed and the bus was sold to the Orthodox Jewish group.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hart Bus wrote:
That was bus 743. The bus was donated by TCC to the NYPD. It was christened as Highway District # and bore fleet number 3301. It was kept at the precinct on the north side of the Grand Central Parkway, near 188th Street. Then sometime around 9/11 the light bar on the roof and several other things were removed and the bus was sold to the Orthodox Jewish group.

Hart Bus:

Interesting!

Thanks for sharing this info; I used to see this bus almost every morning when I was near the Twin Towers.

By that late date, all MTA Fishbowls had been retired for some years, so seeing ANY Fishbowl was indeed a treat! Very Happy

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A nostalgic view (1981) of TRIBORO Fishbowl #911 (that number is truly ironic)

The L&H APPLIANCES sign in the background is also quite nostalgic in itself; note "COLOR TV" and "STEREO" prominently displayed..........a lot of water has indeed gone under the bridge since then.

Note, too, the classic "DON'T WALK" sign..............

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?2272

(courtesy: bus.nycsubway.org)
traildriver

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In recent years, the aforementioned NYPD Highway Patrol precinct had an old RTS bus usually parked there, but when I drove by there yesterday, I noticed even that has been replaced by an MCI 102DL3....
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver wrote:
In recent years, the aforementioned NYPD Highway Patrol precinct had an old RTS bus usually parked there, but when I drove by there yesterday, I noticed even that has been replaced by an MCI 102DL3....

traildriver:

This is not at all surprising, considering that the remaining RTS buses are now indeed in their twilight years, in the MTA fleet.

We all thought that the Fishbowls would be around forever.....and then.....BINGO......the Fishbowls were all gone.

Then, we all thought that the RTS would be around forever.......time flies MUCH TOO FAST.....especially when you're a bus enthusiast....... Confused

"NYO"
traildriver

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder when and for what the Highway Patrol (Formerly Motorcycle Precinct 3) ever uses that bus for? Since that precinct, if that is what it is even called, is "all motorized", with no foot patrolmen.....

I'm thinking that perhaps some of the HP cops are CDL qualified, and they keep it there to conveniently pick up foot patrolmen from other precincts for parades and other special events....anyone know?
Hart Bus

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would agree with your assumption.

I saw a picture of 743/3301 in its later years going into the Battery Tunnel from Manhattan, It looked pretty beat up by then
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All:

Here's a photo from 1978 showing NYC TRANSIT POLICE Fishbowl #3000, at Battery Pl. and Greenwhich Street.........

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?4333

(courtesy: bus.nycsubway.org)
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NYPD RTS #9598 at 42nd St. (undated photo).............

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?1350

(http://bus.nycsubway.org)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: