BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Canadian New Look GMC's in New York
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All:

A more subtle "variation" in the GM New Looks over the years is that on some buses the "GM" letters were absent on the trapezoid; on some buses, even the trapezoid might be removed.

This was something that always puzzled me; I always wondered in GM might have cast a disgruntled eye on this removal........

"NYO"

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:28 pm; edited 2 times in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note the New Look to the rear in this 1972 view; no GM trapezoid on the dash, nor an advertising mounting........

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?2576

(courtesy: bus.nycsubway.org)
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Circle Line pier, 1976........

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?1202

GBL Rebel

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
All:

A more subtle "variation" in the GM New Looks over the years is that on some buses the "GM" letters were absent on the trapezoid; on some buses, even the trapezoid might be removed.

This was something that always puzzled me; I always wondered in GM might have cast a disgruntled eye on this removal........

"NYO"

MTA NYCT tends to order buses minus any manufacturer badge.
frankie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note the New Look to the rear in this 1972 view; no GM trapezoid on the dash, nor an advertising mounting........

That's because you have a blank advertising board blocking the trapezoid. If you look closely, you can see where the board cuts the extreme right side of the headlight bezel.

Frankie
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

frankie wrote:

That's because you have a blank advertising board blocking the trapezoid. If you look closely, you can see where the board cuts the extreme right side of the headlight bezel.

Frankie

You are right.......appreciate the heads up! Wink

I had to really look close, but I did see just what you saw; I could not see that I was looking at a blank advertising panel, only what looked like a bare dash........

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GBL Rebel wrote:
All:

"NYO"

GBL Rebel:

Appreciate your input; to be honest, I never really looked at the builder's badges on any NYC buses since the long-gone days when the GRUMMANS were running side-by-side with the New Looks.........

"NYO"
GBL Rebel

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it wasn't for Suffolk County buses, I wouldn't know what the last Orion emblem looked like. Keep in mind I work with Orion's daily.
frankie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GBL Rebel wrote:
All:

"NYO"

GBL Rebel:

Appreciate your input; to be honest, I never really looked at the builder's badges on any NYC buses since the long-gone days when the GRUMMANS were running side-by-side with the New Looks.........

"NYO"

In reality, all GM new looks came with builder's badges and it was up to the transit companies to remove them as they seemed fit.

Today, most builders have their name either embossed or debossed into the bus panel itself - almost indistinguishable since they're the same color as the panel.

Frankie
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

frankie wrote:
GBL Rebel wrote:
All:

"NYO"

GBL Rebel:

"NYO"

In reality, all GM New Looks came with builder's badges and it was up to the transit companies to remove them as they seemed fit.

Today, most builders have their name either embossed or debossed into the bus panel itself - almost indistinguishable since they're the same color as the panel.

Frankie

I did not know this......appreciate your sharing here. Wink

To this day, I truly believe that the New Look "GM" trapezoid is still an easily recognizeable trademark, not only in the transit sector, but also in American Industrial History.

The New Looks were buses that indeed were timeless in design; they looked every bit at home in the 1980's and 1990's as they did in the 1960's and 1970's......I'll never stop missing them....but sure am glad I rode them as much as I did....... Very Happy

"NYO"
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

frankie wrote:

Frankie

Is the confusion on that the reason why, on such front ad racks, the 'M' sticker was put on them later in the '70's after the buses were repainted in two-tone blue?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: