BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

LIB vs Bee Line

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Long Island & Westchester Buses
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pineywoodsbus

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 7:48 pm    Post subject: LIB vs Bee Line Reply with quote

Which system do you think is better?
Now that Bee Line has Metrocards they may have the edge. Bee Line seems to have added much more service than LI Bus recently. Their fleet also makes more sense. LIB doesn't have artics at all, and they need them on the crowded routes. Bee Line has artics, and the terminals were designed to handle them. I plan on checking out Bee Line more often. I am sick of Suffolk Transit, no metrocards and headways of hell. Plus they still don't have Sunday service! ST is just a notch above PART.
ST is getting crowded, man even the S62 gets packed by Smith Haven Mall. Sucks when the buses are only 35'! Razz
I assume all the Flxibles at Bee Line are now gone, it's mostly Neoplan artics and Orion V's. One other question, what BL routes go close to Rockefeller State Park (Sleepy Hollow)?
Hopefully LIB will improve to the level of Bee Line eventually, LIB really needs artics. They can run them on the N20/21 since it wont be affected by HTC. HTC may need to be modified to accept artics, it is possible, isn't it?
LIB still has been improving, a driver told me the MTA Bus takeover will happen eventually. The buses are much cleaner than they used to be. Those "fish fast" and check marks near the bus numbers have been removed, haven't seen them in awhile.
455 is a slow POS though, the new order needs faster engines. The prob with alot of the 400s is that they have "granny gears" as one driver put it! Laughing
B53RICH

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 10:58 pm    Post subject: Re: LIB vs Bee Line Reply with quote

Pineywoodsbus wrote:
a driver told me the MTA Bus takeover will happen eventually.

Please stop with the unofficial information. This is exactly how these rumors always start. How is it a driver has more information than upper management has?
upperharlemline4ever

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know where you get your information that Bee Line is so great. I live in Westchester and if you don't mind waiting 1/2 hour for a bus beyond it's scheduled arrival time, guess it's not so bad. Other than the Bronx to White Plains routes the above scenario is the norm. Most lines don't have service on weekend or very minimal service; again except for the Bronx-White Plains routes. The buses are maintained well and break downs are not frequent. But as far as keeping to schedule forget about it, probably because of the length of some of the routes and the congested areas they travel in. The buses are routinely getting caught in heavy traffic and regularly delayed. Perhaps they should consider cutting some of the routes in half, ie the 60 and the 6 just to name a couple. Let the 60 go from the Bronx to Mamaroneck or Larchmont and then have a new route to run from Mamaroneck or Larchmont to White Plains. They won't do that however because they won't want to have people change buses. However the 60 gets caught in the bottleneck of Fordham Road and Boston Post Road in the Bronx and New Rochelle and then tied up in traffic in White Plains. It can take you an hour and a half to take the bus from the Bronx to White Plains. Metro North, Fordham to White Plains, 20 minutes.
Pineywoodsbus

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I took the 60 today from Mamaroneck to White Plains, only a few minutes late but crowded. At least the Neos have enough room for everyone, standees and all. The once an hour service to White Plains though aint enough.
LIB has the same problems with lateness on long runs, the most notorious are the N20/21 from Flushing, the traffic there is terrible, it often can take 30 minutes just to get through the Main/Roosevelt bottleneck. Add to that heavy volume and messed up signals along Northern Blvd and they are always late, it's not unusual to be 50 minutes or more behind schedule!
Unlike Bee Line, LIB doesn't have 60ft buses, and those Orion V's get crush loaded pretty fast.
The Don of All Buses

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hhmmm.... this is an interesting topic. I'd have to say that Bee-Line is better, yes some of Bee-Line's buses run late some time, but they are a whole lot better than LIB. I mean seriously, LIB will continue to be behind without artics. and this whole thing about LIB not wanting low floors! come on, get real, if I were slightly handicapped, I'd want a one step bus as well. As for Suffolk Transit, they need to get some 40 foot buses on some of there more traveled routes, and they also need to add sunday service!

I can't wait to start my bus line!
Newkirk Plaza David

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I clearly favor Bee-Line for a lot of reasons:

Better service
Better equipment
GARs at may bus stops (not at any LIB stop)
Fast express and limited service.
WCDOT does increase service to match passenger demand.

Bee Line does have a good number of routes that operate on weekends. Yes many of the 7 day a week routes run to/from the Bronx. The 5, 6, 7, 13, 14 and 40 routes run within Westchester county and they offer 7 day a week service, although I do admit that most routes stop running in the early evenings.
upperharlemline4ever

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 6 & 14 Sunday service consists of 4 buses in each direction the entire day. Why waste time. It's one bus every 2 hours. Furthermore, there is no coordination with railroad service on routes that run to railroad stations.
amoreira81

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you seen the areas along with the 5 and 6 runs, however, outside of Yonkers?

Now, if you ask me, there should be short runs hourly on the 5 on Sundays to Odell Avenue, and on the 6 to Hastings or Dobbs Ferry.
The Don of All Buses

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Newkirk Plaza David wrote:
I clearly favor Bee-Line for a lot of reasons:

Better service
Better equipment
GARs at may bus stops (not at any LIB stop)
Fast express and limited service.
WCDOT does increase service to match passenger demand.

Bee Line does have a good number of routes that operate on weekends. Yes many of the 7 day a week routes run to/from the Bronx. The 5, 6, 7, 13, 14 and 40 routes run within Westchester county and they offer 7 day a week service, although I do admit that most routes stop running in the early evenings.

This man clearly knows a really good transit system when he sees one! The Bee-Line System..... The best sububan transit system in the New York Metropolitan Area, hands down!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Long Island & Westchester Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: