BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

View From The Operator's Seat

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Q65A

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:14 am    Post subject: View From The Operator's Seat Reply with quote

Interesting collection of photos from a Canadian website:
http://barraclou.com/bus/interior/index.html
Jimbo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spent many hours and travelled many miles in some of those Prevost driver seats with the view of my passenger seats behind me. Great photos.
traildriver

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting that interesting link!
Pache

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Q65A wrote:
Interesting Testoprime results collection of photos from a Canadian website:

Thanks for the pics. Brings back some memories.

Last edited by Pache on Thu Mar 10, 2022 6:26 am; edited 8 times in total
Q65A

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My pleasure Smile I remember the operator's compartments in the TDH 5106's operated by QTC. The instrument panel had a large air gauge on the left side, a speedometer on the right side and 1-3 small gauges in between them: voltmeter, oil pressure and water temp. There were 2 telltale panels beneeath the row of gauges. I rode only QTC buses at the time (what else would you expect from a guy named Q65A?) and my favorite Old Look was QTC 859, which sported all 5 gauges. Later Old Looks usually had only the air gauge, speedo and voltmeter. The transmission selector lever was below the instrument cluster, adjacent to the B/O's right knee. to the left of the operator were the 5-position door controller plus butterfly-style "dump valve" and a switch panel. There were no rotary "Master" switches "back in the day": to start the engine, the B/O flipped the "Run" toggle switch to "Run" and pressed the starter button The TDH-5301's that followed were a radical departure, both inside and outside. The front dash took the form of a large, freestanding "pod" that held only a speedo and air gauge, plus 2 telltale panels. The left hand switch panel was completely redesigned. Rotary switches were used for the Master and Ventilation functions (QTC buses of that early 60's era did not yet have A/C; that came in 1967 or so). Adjacent to the large, floor-mounted hand brake at the left of the operator was a small door. hinged at the bottom, which contained a bank of maybe 5 toggle switches. I came to learn much later that this feature was called a "swing down switch panel", which would be eliminated from later TDH-5301's because it could not be "swung down" with the parking brake lever in the applied position. I guess GM engineers never saw that glitch..
traildriver

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good memory!
Too bad you don't have a picture to post...
The thing I recall about those old QTC buses, was their lack of power steering. Surprising, because the contemporary GMC parlor coaches used by long-distance carrier's, generally did come ordered with power steering.
Q65A

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is very true, traildriver!
The eastbound Q65A makes a right turn at Jewel and Parsons, and I remember watching those QTC operators crank that large tan plastic wheel many turns to curb their buses at that stop.
I have to believe that the "good old days" were a lot better for us than they were for bus operators of the same era.
Looking back nostalgically, in the early 1960's most transit buses had no A/C. Driver's seats had iron springs, not air ride seats.
Bus operators had to make change and carry cash until about 1969.
Two-way radios were not installed in most NYC buses until years later, so when street criminals wanted a quick score, especially at night and in rough neighborhoods, there was no way for bus operators to call for help.
Destination signs were hand-cranked, not electronically operated.
That those old-school B/O's still made their times safely and reliably is a tribute to their sharp skills and strong work ethic.
I'd say they can be very proud of the service they rendered to us New Yorkers.
traildriver

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Q65A wrote:
Looking back nostalgically, in the early 1960's most transit buses had no A/C. Driver's seats had iron springs, not air ride seats..

And those were good reasons for carrying a "cool cushion" to the job... Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: