BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Member Introductions and Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Friday1

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:41 pm    Post subject: Newbie Reply with quote

Greetings from NW Ohio. We are the proud owners of a new to us 1961 PD 4106 GM bus, SN 326. I drove it home from Phoenix last week in less than 3 days. It would have been less if Mastercard would quit zapping my bank card, but that won't happen again. The bus ran perfect and survived the brutal winds. I beat the winds to my homebase only to have them follow me here. There are still homes in the area without power. I have a 1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge and we have started to move our stuff into the new bus. Hope to not be a charter member of the two bus club for long.

Rick in Ohio

gmc1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  43.87 KB
 Viewed:  41450 Time(s)

gmc1.jpg

Hart Bus

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let be the first to welcome you to this board. I have been a member for a number of years and have learned a lot as well as occasionally contribution to the dialogue. I hope you will hope on board (pun intended)

Good luck with that nice looking coach.
Q65A

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome (and very nice 4106 conversion)!
Friday1

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:31 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks for the welcome. I will visit and contribute. We have to keep our buses on the road. Mine is resting next to my polebarn under the "Bus Stop." If the weather gets a little warmer tomorrow we will start the clean up and transfer of all our stuff from our 1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge FC35. We have 4-6" of snow in the forecast and I have a couple of ceramic box fans running in the interior and basement to keep it from freezing. Looks like a week of cold temps and then it should get warmer.

Rick in Ohio
frankie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome aboard Rick and enjoy the ride! The forum is rich in photos with interesting and fascinating bits of trivial information from just about any topic that has to do with buses.

There's not too many PD-4106 coaches around anymore. You have a rare and very hard to find running coach - a very beautiful conversion. Whoever designed the conversion did a quality job and very easy on the eyes. Those windows are well balanced with respect to the whole look of the bus. That's something you don't see very often on many conversions.

Enjoy the open road and keep 'em rolling!

Frankie
Friday1

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

frankie wrote:
Welcome aboard Rick and enjoy the ride! The forum is rich in photos with interesting and fascinating bits of trivial information from just about any topic that has to do with buses.

There's not too many PD-4106 coaches around anymore. You have a rare and very hard to find running coach - a very beautiful conversion. Whoever designed the conversion did a quality job and very easy on the eyes. Those windows are well balanced with respect to the whole look of the bus. That's something you don't see very often on many conversions.

Enjoy the open road and keep 'em rolling!

Frankie

Hey Frankie, Thanks for the kind words. I think it was a boat guy did the conversion. My wife wasn't happy losing so much inside storage from what we are used to in the Wanderlodge. After she sat inside the PD for a while she bonded with it and everything is OK now. Plenty of storage in the basement and I will have to move my supplies(air line, electrical connectors, tools etc.) down there. She says the pink blinds have grown on her too. LOL

gmc5.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  40.71 KB
 Viewed:  41422 Time(s)

gmc5.jpg

traildriver

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Aboard!

Glad to have you join us!

I am so jealous of your fantastic looking '06....it just happens to be my all-time favorite bus. Drove them on the line for many years.

Does yours still have the original handbrake, or was it converted to a DD-3 parking brake (which was standard starting with the 1964 models)?

And do you have the original four-speed tranny?

Would love to see a shot of your driver's compartment.... Smile
Friday1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver wrote:
Welcome Aboard!

I am so jealous of your fantastic looking '06....it just happens to be my all-time favorite bus. Drove them on the line for many years.

Does yours still have the original handbrake, or was it converted to a DD-3 parking brake (which was standard starting with the 1964 models)?

It has been converted and has a 730v Allison tranny. I can show a shot of the driver's area if you can bear with me. Each time I post a pic and it actually shows up I am so happy. We will be out there today, cleaning.

Rick in Ohio
Friday1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:26 am    Post subject: PD4106 Reply with quote

Here are a few more pics, that is if it works. Very nice, none of the pics showed up in the preview, but here they are.

gmc4.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  33.54 KB
 Viewed:  41398 Time(s)

gmc4.jpg

gmc3.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  45.84 KB

gmc3.jpg

gmc2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  43.79 KB

gmc2.jpg

traildriver

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gorgeous!
Smile
Friday1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver wrote:
Gorgeous!
Smile

Thank you, sir. We spent the better part of the day cleaning and getting ready to move all the stuff from the Wanderlodge into the PD. Got 3" of snow today and temps in the teens. We have some ceramic disc heaters running 24/7 so nothing freezes up and don't have to winterize for just a couple of days. The PD has longer wheelbase so it goes between the house and garage down to my shop easier than the Bluebird with so much overhang on both ends. I have about 3" on a side and some other obstacles to navigate around. Last summer I tilted the corner of the garage 18" to make it easier to get through. Trust me, if the wife is not feeling well or tired, it ain't goin' through there!

Rick in Ohio
Friday1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Friday1 wrote:
traildriver wrote:
Welcome Aboard!

It has been converted and has a 730v Allison tranny. I can show a shot of the driver's area if you can bear with me. Each time I post a pic and it actually shows up I am so happy. We will be out there today, cleaning.
I just got a new iPhone5s. The SIMS card is corrupted and until that is straightened out, I have no way to send a pic to my email so will take the pic in a few days. I had the phone before I took of for Az to pick up the PD and so glad I didn't do the initialization before I left. I need the iPhone to interface with my hearing aids. Years of diesels and racing engines and shooting have really destroyed my hearing. I was a mechanic for the Toledo Fire Division for 30 years and 4 months before retiring had a 200 watt siren blown in my ear from 6" away by mistake. Tinnitus finally got to me and had to get the hearing aids to stop the ringing and so I could sleep. Gettin' old ain't for sissies!

Rick in Ohio

Rick in Ohio
JimmiB

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum Rick.

What's really amazing is that your bus is the same year and exact colors of the 4106's that I used to drive. Traildriver, myself and many drivers still consider this their favorite coach. I also agree that the window treatment in the conversion is much higher quality than most conversions. Looks great.
Friday1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimmiB wrote:
Welcome to the forum Rick.

What's really amazing is that your bus is the same year and exact colors of the 4106's that I used to drive. Traildriver, myself and many drivers still consider this their favorite coach. I also agree that the window treatment in the conversion is much higher quality than most conversions. Looks great.

Thank you JimmiB, On the way home, a driver of a Von Hool tour bus came over and said he learned to drive buses on a PD 4106. He chatted with me for a while about back in the day. Stopping for fuel always takes a while answering questions and listening to the drivers tell their stories.

Rick in Ohio
Friday1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Friday1 wrote:
Friday1 wrote:
traildriver wrote:
Welcome Aboard!

I just got a new iPhone5s. The SIMS card is corrupted and until that is straightened out, I have no way to send a pic to my email so will take the pic in a few days. I had the phone before I took of for Az to pick up the PD and so glad I didn't do the initialization before I left. I need the iPhone to interface with my hearing aids. Years of diesels and racing engines and shooting have really destroyed my hearing. I was a mechanic for the Toledo Fire Division for 30 years and 4 months before retiring had a 200 watt siren blown in my ear from 6" away by mistake. Tinnitus finally got to me and had to get the hearing aids to stop the ringing and so I could sleep. Gettin' old ain't for sissies!

Rick in Ohio

Rick in Ohio
[img][/img] This is the only pic of driver's area the po sent. I'll get a better one when my phone is working.
Rick in Ohio
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Member Introductions and Announcements All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: