BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"The Voice of Greyhound"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Over The Road Carriers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
traildriver

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:23 pm    Post subject: "The Voice of Greyhound" Reply with quote

Anyone remember when Greyhound Lines had a professional announcer pre-record various terminal announcements that were used all over the United States?
He had a nice mellifluous baritone voice, that was much easier to understand over the PA then most of the live announcements done by drivers or dispatchers. The announcements were recorded on 45 rpm vinyl records, and were loaded into a jukebox. Each schedule had a first call and a last call announcement. When a driver was ready to load, he would just push the appropriate buttons on the juke box for his announcement.
There were also other standard terminal announcements such as telling about baggage checking and putting names and addresses on all bags.
The dispatcher or head agent would periodically play those.
I remember those announcements in the sixties and seventies. In the later years, he would also repeat announcements in Spanish, used in appropriate markets. They even had some for the Chicago to Montreal runs done by him in English, then repeated by some female voice in French.
I have one of the records, announcing an Omaha to Los Angeles local schedule in my collection
The label does not give any production information. I once tried to find out the name of the announcer, and was told it was done by a Mr. Jack Carey (or Karey?), but I can't be sure of that.

A typical announcement would go like this....
"May I have, your attention please....
Greyhound Scenicruiser service, for New York City, is now boarding passengers at gate number, seven.
Now boarding at gate number seven, for Cleveland, Pittsburgh Philadelphia, Newark, and New York City.
Making connections at Cleveland, for Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse, Albany, and Boston.
Connections at Pittsburgh, for Baltimore, Washington, Richmond, and Norfolk.
Connection at Philadelphia for Atlantic City.
Now Boarding passengers at gate number, seven.
Wecome Aboard,
Have a pleasant trip,
And thanks, for going Greyhound".

Last edited by traildriver on Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:56 am; edited 1 time in total
roymanning2000

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Traildriver,

I remember those announcements well. I can still hear some of them in my head. I hear other things in my head sometimes, too, but we won't talk about that. I wish I had recorded some of the boarding calls. Another thing I missed doing way back when.

I've also been told that the announcer's name was Jack Carey. Over at the YahooGroup greyhoundthroughexpress, they have some of his announcements in their Files section. The announcements were recorded for the Nashville terminal.

I googled the name and came up with this link. I don't know if it's the same guy but, it does sound like it could be.

http://www.jackcarey.com/

Roy
HwyHaulier

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Traildriver - Roy -

I also very much recall use of the standard announcements in the GREYHOUND System. My earliest memories date to circa 1950, at the Baltimore Station.

Seems to me, there are some accounts of the practice. Jackson may have noted in his own work...

.......................Vern.........................
traildriver

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

roymanning2000 wrote:
Traildriver,

I remember those announcements well. I can still hear some of them in my head. I hear other things in my head sometimes, too, but we won't talk about that. I wish I had recorded some of the boarding calls. Another thing I missed doing way back when.

I've also been told that the announcer's name was Jack Carey. Over at the YahooGroup greyhoundthroughexpress, they have some of his announcements in their Files section. The announcements were recorded for the Nashville terminal.

I googled the name and came up with this link. I don't know if it's the same guy but, it does sound like it could be.

http://www.jackcarey.com/

Roy

That very well could be him....
I tried to find the announcement in the Yahoo group, but couldn't. Any tip on how to 'search' for it?
roymanning2000

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Traildriver,

I'll have to check it out this week at home. Right now, I'm at work and they have YahooGroups blocked here. Sad

My recollection is that it was in the "Files" section but, I could be wrong about that.

Roy
roymanning2000

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I finally remembered to track down those Greyhound boarding announcements on Yahoo Groups.

In the greyhoundthroughexpress group, there are four announcements in the Files section. These are .mp3 files. The file names are Track08, Track09, Track10 and Track12. You may need to join the group to have access to the Files section.

They played fine for me.

Roy
traildriver

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

roymanning2000 wrote:
Well, I finally remembered to track down those Greyhound boarding announcements on Yahoo Groups.

In the greyhoundthroughexpress group, there are four announcements in the Files section. These are .mp3 files. The file names are Track08, Track09, Track10 and Track12. You may need to join the group to have access to the Files section.

They played fine for me.

Roy

Hmmmm....I found it, and joined group, but when I click on any of the announcement links, nothing happens. I tried clicking on the other links, and was able to see photo's, etc., but none of the four announcements worked. Any suggestions?

I also noted that they spelled his name 'Kerry', so perhaps not the same person?
roymanning2000

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Traildriver,

You might try posting a message on the group's message board. They might have a better idea how to access them. From time to time, posters in other Yahoo Groups have trouble accessing areas while others do not. Without a doubt, the technological skills of the other members are much better then mine.

I'd keep trying. They're worth the effort.

Roy
traildriver

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:13 pm    Post subject: Update on the Voice of Greyhound Reply with quote

I came across this training recording by Mr. Jack Kerry....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbfakdguMjo&feature=youtu.be

and today, someone on another forum emailed me this gem
https://youtu.be/RyWAbuqJs0M
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Over The Road Carriers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: