BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Eighteen buses on one page of vintage.es

View previous topic :: View next topic  
N4 Jamaica

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:17 pm    Post subject: Eighteen buses on one page of vintage.es Reply with quote

Scrolling down on the page linked below, I count 18 buses on the streets of Manhattan. The views that puzzle me most show Surface Macks on M-104 in Times Square in the 1960's. I thought the Macks were gone by then.
---
This link is rich for those who enjoy identifying models and routes.

---
http://www.vintag.es/2016/09/35-incredible-color-found-photos.html
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed that one pic was misidentified as "Pell Street off the Bowery, 1965" - looks more like a circa 1963 pic of 7th Avenue looking southwest between 33rd and 34th Street towards 31st Street, with the soon-to-be-torn-down original Penn Station shown.
traildriver

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

W.B. Fishbowl wrote:
I noticed that one pic was misidentified as "Pell Street off the Bowery, 1965" - looks more like a circa 1963 pic of 7th Avenue looking southwest between 33rd and 34th Street towards 31st Street, with the soon-to-be-torn-down original Penn Station shown.

I agree....
traildriver

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking hard at the other shot looking at a slice of the old Penn Station from 34th Street and 9th Avenue for a glimpse of the old Pennsylvania Greyhound Terminal, but unfortunately, it's just too far away to get a view...

There are relatively few views of that facility, nor the Capitol Greyhound Terminal at 50th Street and 8th Avenue to be found on the internet.
Even the Port Authority Bus Terminal is poorly documented on the 'net, especially early interior views...
traildriver

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The shot of the SIRT Ry. train at New Dorp brought back memories of early rides aboard, where the train crew wore B&O uniforms, and collected fares on board....(It was owned by the B&O at the time)...
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other thing: On MaBSTOA buses with the "batwings," the first batch to have the stylized 'OA' insignia on top was the 1965-66 set amongst 6401-6900 (starting with 6701). The 1964-65 set of batwings, 5516-5525, in lieu of a "flag" in the front cover, had 'MaBSTOA' in their stylized italic type, dark green type in light green background, right below the side Michigan marker lights on each side near the front. This was confirmed by pics that had been on eBay, taken in February 1965 (but [mis]dated late 1975) of 5520, posed around Riverside Church north of 120th Street, on what is today the M4. This is evident in the pictures taken around 1967 in the Times Square area.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: