BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The PABT As It Was: A Nostalgic Look Back
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

View previous topic :: View next topic  
traildriver

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
Mr. "L":

You, sir, indeed work miracles! Shocked

I recall seeing this very picture back in 2000, at a photo exhibit at the PABT, celebrating the terminal's 50th anniversary!

NEVER thought I'd see this classic and historical photo again! Confused

Not only were buses smartly attired back in 1950, the folks were as well!

A long, long, time ago....thanks for posting! Very Happy

"NYO"

That photo is still on display in The Port, along with several other classics, like a bejeweled Lady Greyhound, a Scenicruiser, etc....You can see them in the North Wing, down in the lower level waiting room, and also on the upper level of the North Wing....
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

I don't know about you, but are you ready to do some serious inquiries about possibly renting a time machine? Rolling Eyes

Perhaps we could avail ourselves of Mr. Peabody's famed "WayBack Machine" ( maybe Sherman could help us carry the camera equipment!) Wink

Man...if we could only go back in time....if only for a day.....(!!) Very Happy

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All:

This is one of the very best vintage "action" PABT shots, showing the rich diversity that we once, sadly, took too much for granted.

A colorful sea of "Fallen Flags" Fishbowls dominate this rush hour scene, along with a few NJDOT Flex New Looks, and even a 4106, thrown in for good measure.

Too bad this classic image doesn't come with audio! Rolling Eyes

"NYO"

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?2373

(courtesy bus.nycsubway.org)
Free-transfer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And down below, we have a fishbowl with the hood open...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's "clear sailing" for outbound DE CAMP Fishbowl #371, here seen displaying a blank roller curtain.

This was, IMHO, the most attractive of all of DE CAMP's paint schemes; I have fond memories of this fabled company from when Old Looks and ACF-Brills were still in service.

Easily, the Fishbowl, like the Old Look, was one of the most handsome and most easily identifiable of all American buses.......cannot believe it's now at least 17 years since I last rode on one of these classics......

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?615

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:31 am; edited 1 time in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Free-transfer wrote:
And down below, we have a fishbowl with the hood open...

Yup!

That's a RED & TAN coach, having some work done!

Such sights were once as commplace on the sidewalk.....Fishbowls (and, in earlier years, Old Looks) with thier engine compartments open, having work done in the gloom, 'neath those twisting, ever-busy overpasses....

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I've lived within several blocks of this 1981 photo for 40 years, what you are seeing here was a scene that I once saw daily.

Here, an ex-INTER-CITY Fishbowl (#242) is heading southbound on Anderson Avenue, inbound for the PABT.

The bus is operating on one of the old ORANGE & BLACK routes; I rode these vintage machines many times when I changed my commute from my more-normal bus/PATH trip.

At the time of this photo, my Aunt Rose and Uncle Jack were living just a few houses west (left, in this photo) on Washington Avenue.

Like the Fishbowl (and the classic Westinghouse "WhiteWay" street lamps) they both have been gone many years now......

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?3417

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still proudly wearing their old ORANGE & BLACK colors, these two Fishbowls rest in front of the Fairview Garage, patiently awaiting their next run into the PABT.

Note that the roller curtain on the bus on the left displays "PORT AUTHORITY BUS TERMINAL"; now, the electronic signage used on today's equipment simply reads "NEW YORK".

Since 1974, I've lived within a brisk 15 minute walk from this old garage, today home base for NABIs and Neoplan artics.

Shucks...it just ain't the same......I miss the old days.....

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?3436

Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Linsky wrote:
Talk about a colorful scene on a busy day at the terminal.

Seen (foreground) awaiting its turn to load for the New Jersey home bound rush hour is fleet # 325 - a 1947 45 passenger Mack modeled as a C-45-GT and one of ten likenesses numbered 309 to 315 and 324 to 328 operating for Orange and Black Bus Lines of Fairview, New Jersey.

Notice that the depot is awash in 1940's equipment including more Macks, Whites and ACF's - this must have been paradise for bus fans of the day.

The same angle taken today would merely show a sea of white styrofoam boxes on wheels!

BTW; I'm not entirely certain that this is the PABT and , if it isn't, it's a great picture anyway!

Photo borrowed for educational purposes only.

Regards,

Mr. 'L'

NYO,

Thought you'd like to see a better close-up of the bus queuing up ahead of Orange and Black # 325 above;

Seen during the war years waiting at one of its several curbside terminals in midtown Manhattan is fleet # 413 - a 1939 41 passenger Mack modeled as a CM-3G and one of nine likenesses numbered 412 to 420 operating for the Jersey City and Lyndhurst (JC&L) Bus Company, Inc. (an ancestor of Orange and Black Bus Lines) of Fairview, New Jersey.

#413 and its ilk had a very interesting history in that they were originally leased from Mack by the World's Fair Transportation Company of Flushing Meadows, New York and were used for the 1940 segment of the expo before being returned to the manufacturer for refurbishing including the elimination of the rear door as a specified part of a sale agreement with JC&L.

Of note on #413 are the factory fog lights under the headlamps, special bumperettes for additional front end protection and a patriotic 'Buy War Bonds' between the headlamps.

A legend just aft of the front wheel well indicates stops at 35th., 42nd. and 51st. Streets as well as subways and Times Square.

I like the 'Car Full' destination sign even though the bus is far more than half empty!

Photo courtesy of '4-God-country' and is available at eBay as item # 151287299189.

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, New York

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr."L":

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Shocked Shocked

Prior to seeing this truly MAGNIFICENT bus, the OLDEST Orange & Black bus I'd ever seen (either in real life or in photos), were the postwar MACKS.

LOVE the old-style displaying of the towns and cities served; Union City is my old hometown, and another town listed is where I have resided for the past 40 years!

Also really like that subway connections are also displayed; the little ACF Model 26-U's owned by the Jersey City & Montclair Bus Company (later De Camp's #22) had "H&M TUBES TO NEW YORK" emblazoned on the sides.

There was also a BICKFORD's cafeteria in Journal Square, just opposite to the bus lanes.

Again, THANK YOU for brightening up this gloomy and overcast day! Very Happy

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time marches on........the very last buses to wear the classic ORANGE & BLACK colors were the Fishbowls; like the company itself, the Fishbowls have long since departed the scene.

Note the "RIVER ROAD EXPRESS" sign (back then, this was strictly a rush-hour only operation); this line today is NJT's 159R, and still operated only during the rush hours.

Memories, memories......

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?3431

W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
Oubound ex-INTER-CITY Fishbowl #246 seems rather outnumbered by coaches of RED & TAN and MANHATTAN LINES.

The same can be said by the one bus sporting the new NJT scheme.

The motorists at the wheel of thier dinky little autos surely must feel at least a bit intimidated by the sea of big GM's surrounding them!

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?3418

As a youth, I used to live near one of the spots where, way back when, brown and orange Inter-City Fishbowls were kept when not in service. I remember most were of the 1959-62 period, the grille on the air conditioning add-on was different from what NYCTA and MaBSTOA Fishbowls had, and almost all had their rear windows as 3-piece. These must've held out quite well not to be converted to 4-piece, given how many in repair and maintenance shops preferred the latter. And those PD's with Fishbowl-esque features must've had the same lack of maintenance issues to have their rear windows, from my observation, more 3-piece than 4-piece (though one of the pics linked did have a 4-piece on one of the PD's).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: