BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Historical Buses of NYC: Flxible New Looks (Part 2)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Q65A

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 3:59 pm    Post subject: Historical Buses of NYC: Flxible New Looks (Part 2) Reply with quote

As with the Fishbowl, the Flx New Look design matured and evolved over the course of its lengthy production run. The Second Generation of Flx New Looks was introduced in 1968 and continued in production until about 1973. Presumably, as with contemporary GM Fishbowls, the need to comply with FMVSS 108 (effective 1/1/6Cool dictated some exterior changes. Four (4) large diameter stop/turn and tail lamps were installed in the tailgate in place of the 2 large and 2 small lamps that had been used on Gen. 1 Flx New Looks. Modifications to the air intake and exhaust systems also were introduced in an effort to mitigate bus related air pollution. These changes included a vertically-mounted street-side exhaust pipe installed in the area formerly occupied by the left-hand segment of the rear window; an air intake stack was installed where the right-hand segment of the rear window had been. The large central portion of the rear window was divided into two halves to minimize glass replacement costs. This arrangement was very similar to GM’s EIP option introduced on Gen. 3 Fishbowls. With the new generation came a revised model numbering protocol that was as complex as its predecessor system: “1” indicated manufacture at Loudonville, OH; “11” signified a transit bus with a transversely mounted engine; “C” was used for 40-foot long buses, while "D" was used for 35-foot buses; a second “C” was used for 102-inch wide buses, while a second "D" signified a 96-inch width; “-D5” indicated a 6V-71 Detroit Diesel mated to a V-drive transmission; and a final “-1” indicated air conditioning. On some historical notes, in 1969-1970, Flxible decided to exit the intercity coach market. This business was acquired by Mexican commercial vehicle builder Dina (who eventually purchased Motor Coach Industries in 1994). In August 1970, Flxible was acquired by Rohr Industries, a California based industrial manufacturer. This time, NYCT and MaBSTOA were first NYC carriers to order large fleets of new 111CC-D5-1’s: NYCT 4009-4202 were delivered in 1969 under contract MB-19, while MaBSTOA 4600-4727 were delivered the same year under contract MB-19OA. Factory installed air conditioning became a standard option with this order, as did two amber “hoodlum lights” mounted in the middle of each front air intake grille. Radios and PA systems also were added. Initially painted in dark green livery, the Gen. 2 Flx New Looks worked in all divisions. MaBSTOA’s units initially were assigned to West Farms (4600-4663) and while 4664-4727 were assigned to nearby Coliseum Depot. They later were repainted into 2-tone blue and white-and-blue paint schemes. In 1987, new GM RTS-06’s were delivered, and the remaining Gen.2 Flx New Looks were renumbered 7205-7469. The final members of this fleet were withdrawn from service in 1988. MaBSTOA 4727 (a 1970 Model 111CC-D5-1) is preserved as part of the TA’s Vintage Bus Fleet; painted in its original dark green livery, it is stored at Queens Village Depot when not on display. Several Queens private bus lines joined the MTA in buying Gen. 2 Flx New Looks. Each of three Cooper affiliates acquired small fleets of air-conditioned Model 111CC-D5-1’s from 1970-1972. Early Flx purchaser TCC led the way when they took delivery of 40 units: 830-844 in 1970, 845-859 in 1971, and 860-869 in 1972. Eventually TCC would become the largest non-MTA purchaser of Flxibles in NYC. Perennial GM devotee GBL followed suit, and bought their first Loudonville products: 201-210 in 1971 and 211-220 in 1972. JBI also bought Model 111CC-D5-1’s: 201-215 in 1971 and 216-220 in 1972. As it turned out, these would be the last Flx New Looks bought new by NYC PBL’s. GBL later acquired 18 used, 35-foot, non-air-conditioned Model 111DD-D5’s from CDTA in 1984 when that Albany (NY) carrier bought a fleet of new Orions. Neither Queens Transit nor Steinway Transit ever bought new Flx New Looks, although they also picked up some ex-CDTA Model 111DD-D5’s in 1984. Although Avenue B & East Broadway had purchased Gen. 1 Flx New Looks, they did not purchase any more new Flxible buses thereafter. Unfortunately, none of the PBL’s preserved any of their Flxibles.
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, they say that a picture is worth a thousand words - so here's three thousands words below!

Great article Bob!

Photos borrowed from BusTalk Gallery for educational purposes only.

Mr.Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, NY

Green Line Flxible # 208 at factory

Triboro Coach Flxible # 834

Jamaica Buses Flxible # 201
Q65A

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mr. L!
I always liked Flx New Looks when I was a kid, perhaps because my home carrier (QTC) was an all-GM fleet at the time and the angular-looking Flx buses were a bit more "exotic".
I sometimes would see the tan and cream TCC and green GBL Flx New Looks at 108th St. & Queens Blvd., working the Q23 and Q60, respectively. I thought the 6-piece windshield was an interesting design feature.
By the time QSC had picked up second-hand CDTA Flxibles, I already was living in Central NJ.
The bus line in service in central Middlesex County at the time was, if I recall correctly, Middlesex Metro, who ran a fleet of 35' Flx New Looks and 40' 870's or Metros out of a small depot located on 6th Street in East Brunswick.
They and their Flxibles are long gone, and now Academy Express runs the same services with 40' 1999 Nova RTS-06's painted in NJT livery.
44toEmmons

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:30 pm    Post subject: Flxible New Look Recollections Reply with quote

I recall that the 4000-4202 series had a nifty interior color scheme of fairly dark green walls and light green seats. I rode them on the B35 Church Avenue route and the Ft Hamilton Pkwy route (B16?) out of Fifth Avenue depot. They were fast when they were new and I recall that they had a firm ride. They lived some REALLY hard times in the late '70s and '80s and looked like hell when they were finally retired. Not a good era for a bus or subway car.

Did the 4600-4727 series have the same interior scheme? I never rode one.

Steve
Waynejay

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Flxible New Look Recollections Reply with quote

44toEmmons wrote:
I recall that the 4000-4202 series had a nifty interior color scheme of fairly dark green walls and light green seats. I rode them on the B35 Church Avenue route and the Ft Hamilton Pkwy route (B16?) out of Fifth Avenue depot. They were fast when they were new and I recall that they had a firm ride. They lived some REALLY hard times in the late '70s and '80s and looked like hell when they were finally retired. Not a good era for a bus or subway car.

Did the 4600-4727 series have the same interior scheme? I never rode one.

Steve

Yes, the OA group 4600-4727 were identical to the TA units.

Bob - At some point 4721-4727 were sent to Hudson (HUD) depot.
W.B. Fishbowl

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Flxible New Look Recollections Reply with quote

Waynejay wrote:
At some point 4721-4727 were sent to Hudson (HUD) depot.

I remember, in my youth (late 1970's / early '80's), buses from this order running on the M11 and M16 (today's M34/M34A) lines. Even rode on them while there.

I was wondering, of the previous Flxible orders for the NYCTA (5101-5165, 1964; 5601-5790, 1966), how many of those, over the years, got assigned to the 126th Street (OTS) depot and saw service on any of the five Manhattan routes the TA operated (First/Second Avenue M15; Madison/Chambers M1/M22; 50th Street crosstown M3/M27 [today's M50]; 66th Street crosstown M7/M29 [now M66]; and York Avenue M11/M31). I don't remember such buses on any of those lines, offhand, but one member of this board saw at least one such bus running at one time on the M15.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: