BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Roller sign ID needed:

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:01 pm    Post subject: Roller sign ID needed: Reply with quote

Fellows:

I just purchased off of eBay an old rollsign section that reads:

43 TO LIRR
STATION

I'd like to find out what company operated this route, as well as something about the route itself (and maybe the type of bus it had once been installed in)

Thanks in advance!

"NYO"
MaBSTOA 15

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:57 pm    Post subject: Roller sign Reply with quote

If the sign is black with white letters/numbers and rectangular in shape it looks like it came from an NYCTA bus with bat wings.

Can you post a picture?
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Roller sign Reply with quote

[quote="MaBSTOA 15"]If the sign is black with white letters/numbers and rectangular in shape it looks like it came from an NYCTA bus with bat wings.

Can you post a picture?[/quote

I have not received it yet (but would still be unable to post pictures); it is Mylar and is has white lettering an a black background.

According to the original listing, the rollsign piece measures roughly 23x5.

That's all the info I can give you....appreciate your posting....

"NYO"
N4 Jamaica

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't this have to be Q43 Hillside Avenue? That route has been running at least since 1960, and most probably long before that. I suspect it was North Shore Bus Company, the outfit that went bust suddenly around 1947 and left the Board of Transportation with an order of Twin Coaches not yet delivered. The Eighth Avenue subway was extended to 169th Street in 1937. At some point, the Independent route to Jamaica plus feeder buses killed the Queens Village "rapid transit" service of the LIRR. New bus terminals flourished in Jamaica, and the 43 alone was sent west to the LIRR Jamaica station.
---
For a while, maybe in the 1970's, the TA favored very simple front signs, without a borough letter and a simple destination after the word TO. Eastbound buses on 34th Street during that era carried the sign "16 to 1," which seemed to be great betting odds, but meant M16 crosstown to First Avenue. Therefore, the simple sign, "43 TO LIRR STATION."
frankie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's definitely the Hillside Avenue route once operated by the NYCTA, now the MTA.

The line was originally run by Schenck Transportation before the city took over back in 1939. Q43 is still going strong today with the LIRR still a destination.

Frankie

Q43 hillside.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  162.69 KB
 Viewed:  14401 Time(s)

Q43 hillside.jpg

N4 Jamaica

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frankie,
Thanks for clarifying that it was a Schenck route.
Joe
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fellows:

GREATLY appreciate your detailed and interesting responses; being from "Joisey", this is all "foreign territory" to me!

Always great learning more trivia and historical facts about "Noo Yawk's" bygone bus operations.....thank you again for your time and input....... Wink

"NYO"

One last question: Any idea what type of bus that piece of rollsign might have been from.....Old Look? Fishbowl? Whatever? Rolling Eyes
traildriver

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that interesting history....
Where was the eastern terminus of that route when Schenck operated it?
Did it extend into Nassau County back then, or within the City as it currently does?

I recall Schenck and Bee Line prior to Long Island Bus, and IIRC, they could not carry locally totally within Queens...
N4 Jamaica

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@traildriver
Because I did not live there in the 1940's, what I state is subject to error and contradiction. I'm still uncertain whether the City supplied service on Hillside Avenue in the forties. My impression is that the city provided Plants and Structures routes in the 1920's and BMT routes after unification in June, 1940, but I don't know of city-owned Queens routes before North Shore suddenly quit. An answer is probably buried in this very Bus Talk forum, with a post by Mr. Linsky. He tended to post on threads which extended to many pages, and the search tool only directs to threads not to posts. I'm going to hunt around this excellent forum, but sometimes search results are hidden in tiresomely long threads. I'll begin with the search keyword hillside.
Joe McMahon
---
On April 11 & 13, 2010, Mr. Linsky posted two Hillside Avenue photos. One shows a North Shore pre-war Twin followed by a Schenck in 1947. The other shows a Schenck depositing passengers at 179th St.
This link might work:
http://bustalk.info/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2251&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=90

On June 20, 2010, Mr. Linksy posted on the "Vintage New York City" thread a photo taken on Hillside Avenue in 1937, showing bus N543 dropping passengers off at the Eighth Avenue Subway.
http://bustalk.info/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2251&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=225

ON FRIDAY, JUNE 25, 2010, the second paragraph by Mr. Linsky accords with my memory.
http://bustalk.info/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2251&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=240
Namely,
"Number 4544 is southeasterly bound along Sutphin approaching Jamaica Avenue and is probably on either the Q 43 (Jamaica - Lake Success via Hillside Avenue) or the Q 44 (Jamaica - Bronx) line (both of which inherited from North Shore Bus Company in 1947). " (Quote from Mr. Linsky's post.)
traildriver

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your response...
I am sorry that I didn't study the history of the local transit a long time ago...I initially was only interested in the long distance side of the bus business, as that was my vocation, but recently I have developed an interest in the lines that I have commuted on for a lifetime... Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: