BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mike's Bus Page

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Hot Topics & Current Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheDriver

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:26 pm    Post subject: Mike's Bus Page Reply with quote

I remember when I first went online and was learning how to use a computer that one of my favorite topics was about the Fishbowl bus so I would type " fishbowl bus" and at the very top would be "Mikes Fishbowl Bus Page" or some such thing and I was hooked. Maybe impressed more than I would have been normally since this is not my realm.
I am a fish out of water here but the bus pages seemed to keep me hooked.
There are no "truck pages" to speak of that I am aware of.
It seems that bus fans really love their buses.
I chose the topic of "fishbowl buses" because I knew it was trivial and would soon be forgotten by the masses. So evidently I have become a "bus nut".
Oh yeah, there is a site by that name, lol.
But for a time I thought that Mike was my hero but for some reason he is not as active as he once was and this page is not available.
I don't even see his name mentioned here. I say this as I loved his format and the way the pages were done. But this is just me.
Now I did find this page the "Bustalk" site but all I wanted to do was look at the pictures. I was too intimidated to enter the forums.
I am more sophisticated and am able to navigate through these pages so I am more active on this site.
I wondered if we as bus fans are fractured? Don't we have a common thread? Shouldn't we be a small community of like minded people?
Or are we too busy with our own lives to be interconnected?
TheDriver

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Gallant was his name, he had 2 buses, one was a baby fishbowl
Q65A

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if you've seen this website, but they have some great truck pix there:
http://www.hankstruckpictures.com/trucks.htm
Check out the feature titled "Lunchtime at the Overpass".
The Canadian and Mexican rigs are very interesting for us Yanks to see: lots of axles and long trailers.
ripta42
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The internet never forgets.

https://web.archive.org/web/19991122193429/http://web.utk.edu/~gallant/gmcbuses.html

Several of the photo links are broken, bit of you right-click on the broken photo icon, select "Copy image location," and paste the address into the Wayback Machine bar at the top of the page (not your browser's address bar) you may be able to find the photo.
TheDriver

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, I could not get into hanks truck page but man I did find Mike's main bus page and it is like I remember. I know many pictures are missing but the one I call my favorite is still there. A White over Blue silver side Fishbowl I believe used in New York. The driver had the left mirror tilted as it mas making the right turn onto the street.
You don't know how much I love the fishbowl bus. I remember them from the 60s when I was 2 or 3 years old. I knew even then that something great was here. I even picked out a favorite style or generation. It was about 1968 to 1970 with the 4 7 inch tail lights on top and the 3 inch under them.
I'd count the backup lights and the reflectors too and say they were 5 lights on each side.
Q65A

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you like Fishbowls and you would like to read 2 good books on the subject, here are their titles (both are available at Amazon):

Welcome Aboard the GM New Look Bus John H. McKane and Gerald L. Squier (Iconografix, 2006)https://www.amazon.com/Welcome-Aboard-Look-Enthusiasts-Reference/dp/1583881670/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1471727955&sr=1-1&keywords=New+Look+Bus

The General Motors New Look Bus John McKane (Iconografix, 1999)https://www.amazon.com/General-Motors-Look-Photo-Archive/dp/1583880070/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1471727996&sr=1-1&keywords=General+Motors+New+Look+Bus

For all time rosters of GM New Looks, check out the website of Ohio Museum of Transportation: http://www.omot.org/roster/GMList/index.html
TheDriver

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Hot Topics & Current Events All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: