BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Parsons Blvd

View previous topic :: View next topic  
N4 Jamaica

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:42 pm    Post subject: Parsons Blvd Reply with quote

Parsons Boulevard runs disjointedly from Third Avenue in Whitestone to Archer Avenue in Jamaica. The Q44 (formerly North Shore Bus) travels part of Parsons Blvd, and the Q25 and Q34 use it to enter Jamaica. Former Jamaica Buses Q110, 111, 112, 113, and 114 pick up passengers along Parsons Blvd on their routes to South Jamaica and Far Rock. Below are two photos from 1972.

Parsons Blvd, 1972 by sphoto33, on Flickr

Above, the "Flying Fraction."

Parsons Blvd, 1972 by sphoto33, on Flickr
JimmiB

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

N4,
The building that the bus is passing in the first picture is a great looking structure. Do you know what that building is?
GBL Rebel

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimmiB wrote:
N4,
The building that the bus is passing in the first picture is a great looking structure. Do you know what that building is?

Queens County Family Court.
traildriver

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:26 pm    Post subject: Parsons Boulevard Reply with quote

That subject got my attention....why?...because I live on it. Smile
N4 Jamaica

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently, this once was a library. Then it became Queens Family Court, which five or six years ago moved to newer quarters on Archer Avenue. It seems that the property was sold to Moda Apartments, but the 89-14 Parsons Blvd address shows up as a Board of Education District 28 Pre-K center and as a Moda Parking Garage. It appears that the old, beautiful structure is connected through to the new, taller apartment house.

---
http://therealdeal.com/2009/08/26/queens-landmark-transformed-for-affordable-housing-at-89-14-parsons-boulevard/

Also, check out Google Reviews for Moda Apartments.
frankie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember back in the '50's and early '60's Parsons Blvd being the terminus of the old B-22 Atlantic Ave bus. As a kid, Mom would take my sister and I to Jamaica from Brooklyn for her to shop along Jamaica Ave. The bus would make a left northward on Parsons from Jamaica Avenue and we would get off there. And on the corner was always a vendor selling hot knishes. What great memories!

Frankie
Q65A

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great pix and great memories, N4 Jamaica; thanks!!!
Jamaica and "Downtown Flushing" were 2 of my favorite shopping venues because they were major transit hubs (and still are to this day).
One of the big bus related changes in Jamaica was moving the Q25/34 and Q65 stands from 160th & Jamaica to Jamaica LIRR Station on Archer Ave.
JimmiB

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

N4 Jamaica wrote:
Apparently, this once was a library. Then it became Queens Family Court, which five or six years ago moved to newer quarters on Archer Avenue. It seems that the property was sold to Moda Apartments, but the 89-14 Parsons Blvd address shows up as a Board of Education District 28 Pre-K center and as a Moda Parking Garage. It appears that the old, beautiful structure is connected through to the new, taller apartment house.

---
http://therealdeal.com/2009/08/26/queens-landmark-transformed-for-affordable-housing-at-89-14-parsons-boulevard/

Also, check out Google Reviews for Moda Apartments.

Thanks for the quick response about the building. My other hobby is model trains, but I sort of specialize in making urban buildings, so a classic building like this one always catches my eye.
traildriver

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Q65A wrote:
Great pix and great memories, N4 Jamaica; thanks!!!
Jamaica and "Downtown Flushing" were 2 of my favorite shopping venues because they were major transit hubs (and still are to this day).
One of the big bus related changes in Jamaica was moving the Q25/34 and Q65 stands from 160th & Jamaica to Jamaica LIRR Station on Archer Ave.

Sure makes it easy for me to get to JFK now...the stop is directly in front of the Airtrain station....from my house, I can walk to either of those routes. Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: