BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Thoughts on the Scenicruiser
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Over The Road Carriers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:57 pm    Post subject: Thoughts on the Scenicruiser Reply with quote

I often ponder the thought of production of Greyhound's "trademark" coach, the famous PD-4501 Scenicruiser going beyond the actual 1956 termination. Recall the legendary VW Beetles, that looked basically the same for several decades, with most "updates" being made "under the skin"? It would seem to me that, as the original Scenicruisers were not only magnificent-looking coaches, but also were sturdy, solid vehicles, that the original design could have kept on going on bieng manufactured through the years, with only slight changes to the overall styling, as was the case with the Beetle. Certainly, as the PD-4501's were possibly the most stylish of all the postwar highway coaches, I would have thought that its basic design could have kept on bieng manufactured through the late 50s, and possibly even into the mid-60s. John

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,

There were a number of reasons for the short life of the GM/Greyhound Scenicruiser (PD 4501);

Bearing in mind that the creation of this coach was a cooperative effort between GM and Greyhound, and the fact that they were built exclusively for Greyhound, the 1001 that came off the line over the two year period seemed to be sufficient for Greyhound's needs for a number of years to come.

However, two events inparticular changed the course of history for the Scenicruiser;

The first being the beginning of the 'Jet' age in 1960 which made intercontinental travel so much easier and faster - the need for luxury coaches of the 4501 class was nearing an end (Greyhound saw that handwriting on the wall!).

The second, and even more important reason, were the mechanical difficulties with the original twin 4-71 Diesel engines which permanently soured the relationship between the two companies.

The outcome of that dilemma was that Greyhound sent most of the buses to Marmon-Herrington (a well known drive train specialty company) in Indianapolis to be refitted with single Detroit 8V-71's and four speed manual Spicer transmissions.

The final result; enter Motor Coach Industries stage right!

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, NY
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Linsky: Thanks for some very interesting input! You are quite right; by the 60s, it was clear that long-hal bus service....like the long-haul passenger railroads....were truly feeling the impact of both jet transport and the private auto. And, yet, well into the 60s, both Greyhound and Continental Trailways still maintained a high level of service. Can you image a "Five Star Luxury Service" (what Continental offered) today in 2007? It was truly a very different era, an era in which the economy and demographics were quite different from those of today. And, yes, I also knew about the Scenicruiser's having engines and transmissions replaced by the early 60s, and, as you said, the stage was bieng set for MCI to enter the Greyhound family. Personally, I've always thought that the GMC PD-4107 (the last GM product brought by Greyhound) resembled a "Baby Scenicruiser". The Scenicruiser era.....while it lasted.....truly was one of sleekness, style, and class. Those days, sadly, are gone forever. John
ripta42
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
Can you image a "Five Star Luxury Service" (what Continental offered) today in 2007?

Yes; Limoliner offers regularly-scheduled motorcoach service between New York and Boston to compete with Acela. There are a couple of companies in Chicago that have "signature service" also, but I'm not sure if their luxury coaches are on any fixed route service or are only for charters.
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a novel use for a 4501 Scenicruiser (if you happen to have a Corvette that needs very special transportation!).

Photo courtesy of the Bob Redden archive.

Mr.Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, NY

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MAN, OH, MAN!!! Talk about a NOVEL use for a retired Scenicruiser!!!! Shocked Shocked Guess if you're going to bring your classic Vette to a show,, you might as well do it in style!!! Very Happy Just as the Eagle was the "signature" coach for Continental Trailways many years ago, so was the mighty Scenicruiser the "signature" coach for Greyhound. Today, in 2007, that classic coach does indeed look dated, when compared to today's modern, boxy equipment, but its sleekness....its style....and its simple elegence.....will NEVER go out of style! The Scenicruiser was BORN to be an American classic!! Very Happy John
Dieseljim
Deceased

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:51 pm    Post subject: The Scenicruiser and Jets Reply with quote

With the airlines being squeezed every which way but loose and trying to stick it to their passengers with an assortment of fees and surcharges, perhaps the Scenicruiser is THE bus whose time is coming again. Given the fact that the rampant price gouging now engaged in by the Oil Industry is wrecking the economy, especially the airlines, the Scenicruiser and the Eagle buses may yet have a second chance at life. If I were making the decision, I would replace that piece of junk known as the G4500 with a new batch of Scenicruisers, which as far as I am concerned, are an example of what a Highway bus should be and at least the Scenics should together without the use of duct tape, et c. to hold them together as on the G4500 piece of junk.maybe the time for the long distance bus will come again, especially if several major airlines go under.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Hart Bus

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My thoughts on the Topic:

1 - While its a nice idea for bus travel to be resurrected versus airline travel, I don't think it will spell the end of the airlines for long haul service.
I can go to JFK airport and get on a plane and arrive in LA in about 6 hours as opposed to six days for a bus. Another example JFK to Ft. Lauderdale - 3 hours (max) by plane, 24 by bus.

2 - Can you build a redesigned Scenicruiser in time to make a difference?
I think that Prevost and MCI are ahead of the game with their 45 footers as opposed to a 40 ft 'Cruiser. Or Prevost with their 60 ft articulated bus if you're talking capacity.

3 - I like the Scenicruiser design, but the PD-41xx and 49xx are nicer. My opinion only.

4 - One problem with the 'Cruiser, is that the lavatory was located only two (three?) rows behind the driver. He could be annoyed by the constant opening and closing of the door. If the holding tank backed up, the odor penetrated the bus. That's why the lavatories are now in the rear passenger side of the bus. Something to consider in the new design.

Just my $.02
Dieseljim
Deceased

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:37 pm    Post subject: Thoughts on the Scenicruiser Reply with quote

Why not have Prevost and MCI build their own version of the Scenicruiser, but put the restroom in the rear instead of midships as on the GMC coach. Besides, a Prevost or MCI Scenicruiser can still be 45 ft. long and yet have many of the looks of the original. As for the airlines, they are going to price themselves out of many markets and make air travel primarily for the wealthy and business executives rather than for the common folk like us.That is the way it was, even when the early jets were entering service. All the more reason to rebuild our nationwide bus and passenger train network.quote="Hart Bus"]My thoughts on the Topic:

1 - While its a nice idea for bus travel to be resurrected versus airline travel, I don't think it will spell the end of the airlines for long haul service.
I can go to JFK airport and get on a plane and arrive in LA in about 6 hours as opposed to six days for a bus. Another example JFK to Ft. Lauderdale - 3 hours (max) by plane, 24 by bus.

2 - Can you build a redesigned Scenicruiser in time to make a difference?
I think that Prevost and MCI are ahead of the game with their 45 footers as opposed to a 40 ft 'Cruiser. Or Prevost with their 60 ft articulated bus if you're talking capacity.

3 - I like the Scenicruiser design, but the PD-41xx and 49xx are nicer. My opinion only.

4 - One problem with the 'Cruiser, is that the lavatory was located only two (three?) rows behind the driver. He could be annoyed by the constant opening and closing of the door. If the holding tank backed up, the odor penetrated the bus. That's why the lavatories are now in the rear passenger side of the bus. Something to consider in the new design.

Just my $.02[/quote]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
TheDriver

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my 2 cents is this

While the Scenicruiser was a neat idea it did not make efficient use of it's space. Yes it looked great to see out the upper windows but luggage space and such would increase if the whole bus was raised as in the newer buses.
Everybody could now look out the same front window. This was the future of buses anyway. GM made a prototype called the Golden Chariot and I'm sure that MCI , Prevost got the clue and built their own.
I love the Buffalo bus and have not set foot in one but it having a send floor and a window to look out of at the front , I bet did not give the view that the Scenicruiser gave it's riders. I'd bet that you could not see much out in front.

That is my 2 cent
traildriver

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, the Scenicruiser is not as space-efficient as say, a Prevost H3 which looks like the 'box it came in'.
But the Scenicruiser was a real 'looker'....styled by industrial designer extraordinaire, Raymond Loewy, who was on a retainer by Greyhound.

Even now, sixty-two years after its introduction, if you line up a Scenicruiser and any other bus, and give new passenger's their choice to board....don't bet against the Scenicruiser....

Cool
TheDriver

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it was and the reason why I am a fan of the Scenicruiser.
traildriver

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2024 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay...here's my first attempt to post a photo on this forum directly from my own shots...

This was me, reveling in the "best seat in the house"... Wink

https://www.flickr.com/photos/trailiner/53555002230/in/dateposted-friend/
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

Tried to click on the photos to enlarge them, but no-go. Sad

I COULD tell, however, that you were obviously in a HAPPY mood......and no wonder! Wink

If Your's Truly only had a dollar for every time he has daydreamed about being a nattily-attired driver, piloting a classic 'Hound down the highway........ Rolling Eyes

"NYO"
traildriver

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2024 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
traildriver:

Tried to click on the photos to enlarge them, but no-go. Sad

I COULD tell, however, that you were obviously in a HAPPY mood......and no wonder! Wink

If Your's Truly only had a dollar for every time he has daydreamed about being a nattily-attired driver, piloting a classic 'Hound down the highway........ Rolling Eyes

"NYO"

Hmmn....if I click on the photo, it expands. I am new using Flickr, so have not mastered it yet. Sorry for the difficulty.

Yes! I was very happy!
Not sure if I would fit the description, "nattily dressed" that day, however. Very Happy
It was during the MOBT Spring Fling. I'll try later to post more of my photo's....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Over The Road Carriers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: