BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How Common is Bus Bunching?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BrooklynBus

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:59 pm    Post subject: How Common is Bus Bunching? Reply with quote

http://www.sheepsheadbites.com/2015/07/the-commute-how-common-is-bus-bunching/

THE COMMUTE: Last Thursday, I had an appointment near the Kings Highway train station on the Brighton line. I either take the B1 or B49 to the train. At around 11am, three buses arrived, all three not in service. Shortly thereafter a B1 did not stop and only had about 15 passengers. Then I boarded a nearly empty B49. Who knows how much longer I would have had to wait if I had to take the B1? I have written many times about buses regularly bypassing passengers on this route. Returning home I decided to take the B68 to the B1. The B68 arrived right away, but no B1 for quite a while.

The situation is all too familiar: No route is immune to long delays. Generally, I find that buses work fairly well about a third of the time. While a third of the time there are minor delays, and a third of the time the delays are severe enough to cause you to be late, even if you left a little earlier because you expected delays in order never to be late, your alternative is to always allow so much extra time you will often arrive a half hour early. This unpredictability of travel time serves as a huge deterrent to not use local buses...
TheDriver

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about how this is for most people but I am a country boy and never had a need to ride the bus except for a few times when I'd have my pickup truck in a shop and I'd want to go somewhere just to kill time.
I have noticed that getting around in a bus is very slow and it takes a lot of your time. Even if you could drive 5 minutes to get somewhere, a ride on a bus may take hours just to get you there. Now those who ride regularly may not take as long but it took me all day one time just to get to my destination and when I got there it was time to go back. Cheap entertainment if waiting doesn't matter to you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: