BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hello everybody, I'm new here.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Member Introductions and Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheDriver

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:24 pm    Post subject: Hello everybody, I'm new here. Reply with quote

Very Happy
Hi , I thought I'd introduce myself.
I got a computer about 8 years ago and I thought that I'd look up some trivia and see what I could find on the GM fishbowl bus since I knew that in time many things would be forgotten but I was surprised to find a few sites dedicated to these things and my other favorites which are the GM Buffalo and Scenicruiser buses.
I prefer the fishbowl over the Scenicruiser because I love the huge windshield. I love the Buffalo for the sides and rear since it looks like the fishbowl. I have found a lot of trivial info and discovered some on my own which may or may not be obvious to some.
I have always loved buses but I did not get to ride many since I lived in the country. I regret that most of all.
Boonies to many of you.
I never got the chance to drive one and have no desire to drive the new buses although I am considering it.
Anyway I recall the first time I saw the Fishbowl and I knew it was great and new and I got to ride a Scenicruiser but was too small to appreciate the idea behind the second level. Mom had me sit on the lower level next to the lavatory so I didn't even get to see much.
I never rode a Buffalo but I do remember the drivers struggling to shift the tranny because they would make a loud noise.
I am a licensed truck driver with the passenger bus endorsement but I quit driving for personal reasons. I have a clean record.
Yes and I am a big GM fan even though GM has lost it's way.
Camaros first , second and third generations, Corvettes from around the late 60's to early 70's, Many of the huge cars like Cadillacs , Buicks and Oldsmobiles, Cutlass, late 60's to early 80's, Novas late 60's to 1972 and I do love the 4 doors, Monte Carlos in the same years The Vista Cruiser wagons in the same era and most of all 1967 to 1972 Chevy GMC pickup trucks , Suburbans and Blazers. Medium duty trucks
Medium duty buses withe the GM chassis although I prefer a certain bus body over all.
I love the GMC Astro 95 and Chevy Titan 90 and their short nose version of a conventional truck. Very Happy
I thought that I'd also share that I am no mechanic as a professional but do work on anything that runs even though I worked at a shop for a short time.
I have a hobby and it's model cars and trucks collecting but I also modify my stuff and I have 16 Fishbowl buses that I am working on to make them the way I want them to be
I am here because there seems to be a few places to go where there are like minded people.
So I hope to learn some stuff here and to share what I have.
Thanks you
TheDriver

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also want to add that for a long time I used to visit this site a lot and look at the gallery and I have turned every page where Fishbowls are concerned and I come back now and then to see ones I may have missed.
Maybe I could contribute some time Very Happy
JimmiB

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the site TheDriver. I drove several Fishbowls and always liked the way they handled. As for the "Buffalo" buses, they were a SOB to shift. You really had to time your shifting by listening to the engine and trying to hear when the rpms sounded about right. If you had 40+ screaming kids on a field trip you couldn't even hear the engine.
TheDriver

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got to know how fast you drove a fishbowl
JimmiB

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ones I drove were governed at 55, so unlike the movie "Speed", I never jumped over a missing section of highway.
TheDriver

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I drove trucks for years and I know that there was no way that bus could have done the jump and I know that piece of highway since I got to drive it after that

I also drove a truck with the 318 Detroit Diesel engine governed at 1900 rpms but I was geared high enough to go 70 mph. The engine lasted a long time.
TheDriver

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimmiB wrote:
The ones I drove were governed at 55, so unlike the movie "Speed", I never jumped over a missing section of highway.

I heard a guy complain that those buses didn't handle well at high speeds. Is that true?
JimmiB

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ones I drove were all transit models, so I seldom even got up to 55 mph.
TheDriver

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason I asked is because I want one to convert to an RV if I ever get rich. I would keep as much of the bus as possible. The Ventilation system, the windows, even if I have to slightly tint them for the lavatory and showers, like Greyhound did, the stanchions and hand rails and the modesty panel and the back seats.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Member Introductions and Announcements All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: