BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Corgi's Current Status

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Exchange Place & Collector's Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
busking

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:17 am    Post subject: Corgi's Current Status Reply with quote

Do you guys know what is Corgi's current status regarding its US bus model lineup? It appears they are releasing a couple of bus models a year, usually a fishbowl and a MCi or something like that. Nothing like the furious and rapid fire release of the 1990s.

I hope they don't completely fizzle out, as I would dearly miss them.

I understand most bus fans are (excuse me if I am wrong or inappropriate) umm in their 50s, 60s and so forth and that's why for the release of usually pre-1970s, model, but I cannot help but wonder if Corgi would not have done better releasing a newer model bus, such as a RTS or Flxible 870/Metro. Both buses were around for 2-3 decades from the late 1970s onward, and there are a ton of variations and liveries for them to release buses forever, as w/ their best selling fishbowl.

The RTS, for instance, would complement the Corgi line up of Old Look and New Look well, as its shows the GMC heritage of transit buses. Also, I think a FLEXIBLE NEW LOOK, the perpetually neglected child of the New Look era, would do splendidly well, as its complements the GM New Look so nicely. I would jump at the chance to purchase multiple models of either the RTS or Flxible New Look. I always thought the Flxible New Look was just a interesting as the GM version, with its more flat contour, such as the windshield treatment and the rear end.

Instead, I see failures (at least based on EBAY sales and my personal bias) of buses like the 743, which was probably not even around when most of the current bus fans were born. Also, the Flxible clippers appears to be a tired model, as multiple other manufacturers have produced it in HO scale. I guess these models were geared towards the model rail fans, of which I am told there is a much bigger customer base.

Any insight from you guys would be appreciated.
Hart Bus

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very well put.....It has seemed to me to be variations on the same theme for several years. No new products, just new paint on the same models. Also their quality control has slipped in matching colors, such as the TCC and GBL new looks.

Also their choice of destination signs are curious in that they haven't always picked popular routes. GBL old look with a Q-2x to Far Rockaway as opposed to the Q-10 to JFK
fishbowl

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know, all Corgi has promised in the way of US buses is a Red & Tan Lines old look (postponed now until next year) and a bicentennial livery Chicago 5307, which has been postponed (at least) to December. Sure glad Hornby has done such a bang-up job of revamping the company!

What bothers me most about the Corgi US transits is how wrong they are. The old look rear is way too square, so none of them has ever looked real. And how many GM old looks have you ever seen with fog lights? I've seen a single photo of one.

As for the new look GM, no 5301 rear end was ever produced, so every model thet tries to be a 5301 is wrong, even with the correct square markers and extended standee window. Likewise, no 5307-ish small markers were ever made. And leave it to Corgi to randomly mix up the rear ends they do make (5303 and 5307), front GM/GMC emblems, and, yes, those good ol' marker lights. I mean, what's the CTA 1000-series 5307 doing with square markers, and the 300-series 5301 doing with dual taillights? It's enough to make an anal-rententive collector like me blow a fuse!!
bystander

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few years ago, they released an Old Look Red Arrow 4509 Suburban #110. I told them the 110 was a Transit and they told me I was wrong. Yeah, right. I had owned the 110.And I offered them the 111 as a pattern. They said no thanks. I smiled to myself and quietly walked away. Who am I to argue with the experts. And I never bought another Corgi.
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just in case you guys missed my post of earlier today in 'Models';

http://bustalk.info/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2698

Regards,

Mr. 'L'
bystander

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, yes. Your post -precipitated mine. I know how much time, effort, and money goes into the creation of one of these models. That being said, I don't understand why they couldn't have gone the extra mile and made the contours correctly.
I further can't understand why, when offered the subject they were modelling,they would refuse. And I don't get the "We know more about it than you even though you have the bus" attitude. Oh, well.
busking

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or, why can't Corgi build 1/76 model American buses? they do for the British and Hong Kong markets. the 1/76 models give plenty of details, cheaper to make, cheaper to buy, and people can buy more models. Instead, they produce the much less popular 1/50 scale which is bulky, and expensive!
TheDriver

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fishbowl wrote:
As far as I know, all Corgi has promised in the way of US buses is a Red & Tan Lines old look (postponed now until next year) and a bicentennial livery Chicago 5307, which has been postponed (at least) to December. Sure glad Hornby has done such a bang-up job of revamping the company!

What bothers me most about the Corgi US transits is how wrong they are. The old look rear is way too square, so none of them has ever looked real. And how many GM old looks have you ever seen with fog lights? I've seen a single photo of one.

As for the new look GM, no 5301 rear end was ever produced, so every model thet tries to be a 5301 is wrong, even with the correct square markers and extended standee window. Likewise, no 5307-ish small markers were ever made. And leave it to Corgi to randomly mix up the rear ends they do make (5303 and 5307), front GM/GMC emblems, and, yes, those good ol' marker lights. I mean, what's the CTA 1000-series 5307 doing with square markers, and the 300-series 5301 doing with dual taillights? It's enough to make an anal-rententive collector like me blow a fuse!!

I want to say Corgi is wrong on many things
TheDriver

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah imagine how I feel. The very first one I saw was expensive and I had no idea that it was marked down to $20 and i could have bought it for $10. They got the shape of the windshield wrong and the roof above it too. So I hesitated to buy it. I bought it as I was a true Fishbowl fan and know a replica would be so hard to find.
So I now own 16 and in the process of changing the parts that are not right.
yes even the windshield
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Exchange Place & Collector's Corner All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: