BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Bus Hobby In Great Britain

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:05 pm    Post subject: The Bus Hobby In Great Britain Reply with quote

Fellows:

Recently, I've added several outstanding British books on buses to my library; to say the British bus industry was diverse and intriguing is indeed an understatement.

The sheer variety of buses and coaches once commomplace in GB is mind-boggling, to say the least.

What is quite obvious from these excellent books (as well as what I've seen and read online) is that both the bus hobby and bus preservation is far more diverse and intense than it is here at home.

The many bus societies and vintage bus preservation rallies are proof that, in GB, the bus hobby is a far more serious one than in the States.

Of course, here in the States, we have a number of outstanding preservationists who have worked diligently to preserve rare and historic buses, as well as a few noteworthy and excellent museums, dedicated to the motor coach industry.

Still.....to see the many excellent books on buses past and present from GB, as well as the intensity in the historic bus restoration sector, is quite enlightning....and inspiring......to us "Yank" enthusiasts here at home.

As a lifelong fan of London's famous double deckers (as well as other historic British coaches) I truly would like to see more American enthusiasts reading up on the ever-fascinating, diverse, and colorful history of London/British buses and coaches....it truly is most rewarding......it's really most extraodinary rum, so I tell you straight, guv'nor! Wink

"NYO"

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:21 pm; edited 3 times in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Books on historic London/British buses I can most heartily recommend here:

"LONDON BUSES BETWEEN THE WARS" (George Robbins/Alan Thomas)

"BUSES, TROLLEYS, AND TRAMS" (Chas. S. Dunbar)

"THE LONDON BUS" (James Taylor)

The "LONDON TRANSPORT" series (these excellent photo books focus on a certain year or years in LT history, regarding buses and coaches)

"MOVING MILLIONS: A PICTORIAL HISTORY OF LONDON TRANSPORT" (Theo Barker)

I purchased all of mine from eBay at very reasonable prices; they are truly worthy of inclusion in any bus enthusiast's library....

"NYO"
JimmiB

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm always amazed at the variety of styles of buses in the U.K. I belong to a couple of British bus groups on Flickr. It seems that a great number of vintage coaches have been preserved.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimmiB wrote:
I'm always amazed at the variety of styles of buses in the U.K. I belong to a couple of British bus groups on Flickr. It seems that a great number of vintage coaches have been preserved.

Jimmy:

The variety and styling of British buses and coaches many years back was truly astounding; the old "RED ARROW" and "GREEN LINE" suburban coaches, in themselves, make for fascinating study.

If one were to focus on the double-deckers alone, he would find a world of rich diversity: RT's, ROUTEMASTERS, GUY ARABS, ATLANTEANS, LEYLAND TITANS.....so many fascinationg types of vintage double-deckers, each with its own interesting history.

I have nearly 100 vintage toy British double-deckers (and coaches) in my collection today; even in toy form, the rich diversety of bygone British buses is clearly evident...and always fascinating! Wink

"NYO"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: