BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tales of a Twenty Year Bee-Line Commuter
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Long Island & Westchester Buses
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tommy meehan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not a huge fan of 2-2 seating either. But yes, all Bee-Line buses have it and have had it going all the way back to the private days of Club Transportation, Westchester Street, Yonkers Transit and all the rest. Standees are not as much of a problem in Westchester as in the city so the thinking probably is, 1-2 seating would create standees.

Btw, below is a photo exactly one week later (than previous post) on another Bronx-bound 2 at Roberts and Palisade Avenues. This week it's an Orion and the weather's a lot nicer. Of course it never got above freezing today -- the past week it was above freezing for only a few hours -- so most of last Saturday's snow is still with us. (Tomorrow night we're supposed to get 2-4 inches more. Sad )

[Photobucket disabled all images unless users were willing to pay $400 a year. As I can find time I plan to edit mine back in as attachments. They take up more space this way but at least they're here.]

2 022815.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  78.67 KB
 Viewed:  22478 Time(s)

2 022815.jpg

Last edited by tommy meehan on Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
tommy meehan

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another day another snowstorm. Sad

Oh well.

A photo I took on the way home aboard a Bronx-bound No. 2, an Orion V, on narrow Palisade Avenue in north Yonkers. The snow is falling, the streets are already snow-covered and an Executive Park-bound 2 is squeezing by us.

2 030315.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  63.2 KB
 Viewed:  22480 Time(s)

2 030315.jpg

Last edited by tommy meehan on Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
tommy meehan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first shot below is is one of my least favorite shots but it is of a NABI on a Route 32 bus departing Getty Square. The 32 is one of the Yonkers Loop routes. Running from Yonkers RR Station to Yonkers RR Station. It's route takes it up Nodine Hill, through the Park Hill neighborhood then south on Van Cortlandt Avenue all the way to Caryl Avenue which is almost on the Yonkers-Bronx city line. The 32 then turns north on South Broadway and heads back to the Yonkers Metro-North train station in Larkin Plaza. It runs hourly from 6AM to 6PM and only on weekdays. It takes thirty-five minutes to make the loop.

As has been noted, the route can be traced back to the old Yonkers Railroad No. 9 streetcar line. I often wonder if the southern part of the route -- through Park Hill, down past Caryl Avenue and north on Broadway to Valentine Lane -- might not also be a remnant of a route proposed by Club Transportation back in 1943. This was when the New York Central Railroad was about to abandon service on the four-station Yonkers Branch from the Bronx to Getty Square. Club offered a bus alternative that would serve the stations at Park Hill, Lowerre and Caryl. Trouble is, I'm not sure Club ever actually operated it.

Below that is one of my favorite shots. An Artic on a 1W, taken in late March 2012 at Elmsford Square. (When the late Rich Stiller saw this shot he commented, "The operator has the wrong sign!" ) It was a nice sunny afternoon -- I was on my way home from work (waiting for a 13) -- though a bit chilly, not quite Spring yet but no longer winter, either. Hope we have some days like that real soon!

32 Getty Square 022114.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  81.55 KB
 Viewed:  22465 Time(s)

32 Getty Square 022114.jpg

1W Artic Elmsford 0312.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  97.06 KB
 Viewed:  22469 Time(s)

1W Artic Elmsford 0312.jpg

Last edited by tommy meehan on Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:34 pm; edited 2 times in total
N4 Jamaica

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2015 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Tommy, for your interesting posts. I ought give a link to this Hearld-Statesman article dated December 15, 1938.
---
Club in 1938 celebrated the first anniversary of its Park Hill bus line.
---
The first mile of Bee-Line #32 runs as the #9 trolley that I rode. At Walnut, the #9 turned north two blocks to Webster, then reversed poles and returned to the foot of Main Street. The portion on Elm and Walnut was single-track, so maybe only a single car provided the service. On the other hand, the bus companies could not compete directly with the exclusive franchise of Yonkers Railroad. I never rode the Nodine Hlll bus (which also served Park Hill and Ludlow), but the way these little buses crossed trolley lines at right angles, popping out of cross streets here and there amused me as a kid whose Dad brought him on trolley rides in the 1940's. Someplace on this site or SoYoSunset there is a photo of a Nodine Hill bus following a #9 car on Walnut Street. I'll have to ride #32 some day to match that location as the #32 loops the Nodine Hill water tower. Elm and Walnut now benefits from half-hourly service on route 8.
---
At least one other owner provided the Nodine Hill and Park Hill service in the 1950's. Please search for Malanowski on BusTalk.
Best wishes.
Joe McMahon
tommy meehan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe do you know or does anyone know the route number or routing of Club Transportation's Park Hill bus route, the one referred to in the news link as having begun operation in 1937? Was it 32? Below I'm pasting a cut-and-copy of the news article Joe posted the link to, from the Dec. 15, 1938 edition of the Yonkers Herald-Statesman, so everyone can see.

I'm also pasting a copy of a photo from this site taken by the late Joe Testagrose of a Club Transportation bus signed for "Route 32 Nodine Hill-Loop" from 1978. Yonkers residents recall riding the route back in the 1960s (or earlier) and it sounds like it pretty much followed the routing of today's Route 32. Up Nodine Hill to Rumsey Road, down Van Cortlandt Avenue to Caryl Avenue and back to the Yonkers train station in Larkin Plaza.

(I think the original caption for the Daitch-Shopwell supermarket photo is off a bit. The store shown was located at 25 Warburton Avenue near Main Street in Yonkers.)

[Photobucket disabled all images unless users were willing to pay $400 a year. As I can find time I plan to edit mine back in as attachments. They take up more space this way but at least they're here.]

Club Park Hill YHS 121538_zpsaspoe0ef.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  30.07 KB
 Viewed:  22473 Time(s)

Club Park Hill YHS 121538_zpsaspoe0ef.jpg

Club445_NeppAshburton_7-78JT_zpscjxbyhqc.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  52.71 KB
 Viewed:  22473 Time(s)

Club445_NeppAshburton_7-78JT_zpscjxbyhqc.jpg

Last edited by tommy meehan on Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:04 am; edited 2 times in total
tommy meehan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a search in the Fulton news archive and I found that Club's two local routes serving Nodine Hill and the Park Hill neighborhoods in Yonkers were probably originally numbered Routes 1 and 2. That today's No. 32 route was probably operated by Club as its No. 2 route or as a combination of routes 1 and 2. I found the information in a news article from Sept. 29, 1942 in the Yonkers Herald-Statesman newspaper. The article was actually a display ad put up by the Yonkers Chamber of Commerce. With tires and gas being rationed because of the War the CofC was urging shoppers to use public transportation to continue shopping in Yonkers. The local bus companies were canvassed for route, schedule and fare information and the CofC printed the information as a guide. Here's the ones for Club routes 1 and 2:

How did Route 2 become Route 32? From reading I have done, first, I believe at some point in the late forties or early fifties the local bus companies in Yonkers were urged to renumber their routes to eliminate duplicate route numbers. This was done and I think Club Transportation renumbered Route 2 to Route 32 at that time. In addition, because it was a low ridership route, I think at some point in the early 1950s Club wanted to give up Route 32 and it was acquired by another Yonkers bus company named Mid-City Coach. Mid-City operated the route until the late 1960s or early 1970s. What happened then was, Mid-City suffered a disastrous fire at its riverfront garage in Yonkers and most of its equipment was destroyed. As a result, at some point Mid-City stopped operating. I have read articles in the Yonkers papers that the company neither informed the city or the state Public Service Commission about this decision. They simply shut down.

In response to complaints by riders Club Transportation again took over operation of Route 32 and continued to operate it until Club was taken over by Westchester County and Bee-Line was formed. Route 32 is still operated today by Bee-Line.

The route referred to as Club Route 1, described as serving the western section Park Hill, Lowerre and Ludlow, I don't know much about. Maybe someone else does?

Club 1 YHS 092942_zpsb63ztswx.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  19.23 KB
 Viewed:  22474 Time(s)

Club 1 YHS 092942_zpsb63ztswx.jpg

Club 2 YHS 092942_zpsdph42cqe.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  35.11 KB
 Viewed:  22474 Time(s)

Club 2 YHS 092942_zpsdph42cqe.jpg

Last edited by tommy meehan on Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
tommy meehan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally some decent weather!

Yesterday on a 9 bus, up close and personal with an Orion on the 2 line, laying over on DeHaven Drive in Tudor Woods in North Yonkers.Below that, No. 2 buses that terminate their runs within Executive Park in north Yonkers sometimes layover on Executive Plaza as Orion 704 was doing on a rainy afternoon last June. That's the highest numbered Orion in Bee-Line's fleet.

9 040615.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  74.25 KB

9 040615.jpg

704 Laying Over June 2014 Exec Plaza.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  112.8 KB

704 Laying Over June 2014 Exec Plaza.jpg

Last edited by tommy meehan on Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:26 pm; edited 2 times in total
tommy meehan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is where the 2 buses normally layover in South Westchester Executive Park in North Yonkers. Enterprise Blvd with two Orion Vs laying over this afternoon. Cloudy and chilly but, compared to a few weeks ago, this is like a heat wave! Smile

2 040815_zpsawy50kd9.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  99.19 KB
 Viewed:  22476 Time(s)

2 040815_zpsawy50kd9.jpg

Last edited by tommy meehan on Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
N4 Jamaica

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Link to Herald Statesman of June 15, 1957
HERE
---
I note that Peter J. Gallagher, according to this article, is president of both Club Transportation and Yonkers Bus Inc. in December, 1957. Also, the local Bronxville run gets the number 32 designation! Somebody on this board posted photos of the Bronxville-painted buses. I think the only surviving routes from Yonkers Bus Inc are Bee-Line #30 and Bee-Line #8 from Nepperhan Station to Tuckahoe. To me, the article implies that the Nodine and Park Hills routes were still run by Henry Malanowski.

Last edited by N4 Jamaica on Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
N4 Jamaica

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please see an article from the Herald-Statesman of September 28, 1963,
on Mid-City Coach, under Henry Malanowski, acquiring two buses for charter service.
Link HERE.

Joe McMahon
N4 Jamaica

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please see the Herald-Statesman article of October 19, 1962, on the fire at the garage of Yonkers Transit Corp. that destroyed 21 buses on August 8, 1962. The article concerned the valuation.
Link HERE.

I presume all 21 were Macks. The president of Yonkers Transit is Samuel S. Schreiber.
tommy meehan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally some nice weather!

Today running errands on Bee-Line. First a northbound 6-White Plains on North Broadway at Roberts Avenue in north Yonkers. On Saturdays most of the 6 buses to/from White Plains get assigned Artics. Several hours later and one block away, a mostly empty Bronx-bound Orion V on the No. 2 route stops to pick up a passenger at Palisade and Roberts Avenues. For a suburban city Yonkers has really excellent bus service.

Nice not to see piles of snow everywhere you look. Wink

6 041115_zps07b059bk.jpg
 Description:
On a northbound 6-White Plains on North Broadway at Roberts Avenue in north Yonkers.
 Filesize:  89.73 KB
 Viewed:  22479 Time(s)

6 041115_zps07b059bk.jpg

2 041115_zpszigebnlc.jpg
 Description:
A mostly empty Bronx-bound Orion V on the No. 2 route stops to pick up a passenger at Palisade and Roberts Avenues.
 Filesize:  70.86 KB
 Viewed:  22479 Time(s)

2 041115_zpszigebnlc.jpg

Last edited by tommy meehan on Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
tommy meehan

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't been riding Bee-Line much lately. My current job is a fifteen minute drive from my house or at least a forty-five minute bus trip (with a transfer). Sad

Rode earlier today though, a Bronx-bound No. 2 NABI from Tudor Woods to Park Avenue. This photo was taken as we cruised along Shonnard Place approaching Yonkers Fire Station No. 9. (That's Engine Company 309 on the firehouse apron.) Beautiful day and it was just me and the bus operator on board. Quick trip!

2 053015_zpsmnsuytpy.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  185.24 KB
 Viewed:  22480 Time(s)

2 053015_zpsmnsuytpy.jpg

Last edited by tommy meehan on Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
NorthShore

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In reference to the October, 1962 Yonkers Transit fire, didn't Yonkers Transit have a lot of GMC fishbowls by then?
tommy meehan

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Yonkers Transit garage fire was actually in August of 1962, on the 8th. I'm not sure how many GM Fishbowls Yonkers Transit had by August 1962 although there is a listing available on-line which one could use to trace the purchase dates. In a photo [see below] that appeared on the front page of the August 9th Yonkers Herald-Statesman the burned out buses appeared to be Macks but only about four of the reported twenty-two buses destroyed are shown. Yonkers Transit's garage was destroyed as well.

Buses Yonkers Transit Fire YHS 080962_zps0pckrnpi.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  44.12 KB
 Viewed:  22250 Time(s)

Buses Yonkers Transit Fire YHS 080962_zps0pckrnpi.jpg

Garage Yonkers Transit Fire YHS 080962.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  250.65 KB
 Viewed:  22251 Time(s)

Garage Yonkers Transit Fire YHS 080962.jpg

Last edited by tommy meehan on Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:32 pm; edited 4 times in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Long Island & Westchester Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: