BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[PA] Easton Coach Co. in Tauck service

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Over The Road Carriers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
N4 Jamaica

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 1:16 pm    Post subject: [PA] Easton Coach Co. in Tauck service Reply with quote

In April, 2015, we enjoyed a Tauck tour from Jekyll Island, Georgia, to Savannah, Hilton Head, and Charleston. How surprised I was to see that the motorcoach was supplied by a firm in Easton, Pennsylvania, a city I first visited in the days of the interurban trolley known as the Easton Limited!

The Jekyll Island Resort Hotel was busy with motorcoach tours on one-night stays. We were on Tauck's 955th tour in the lowcountry of Georgia and Savannah. The tours skip the insect and heat seasons from late May to September.

What does WMATC mean?

This 45-foot coach with fifty seats was very comfortable. Right-hand turns into narrow two-way streets of Charleston and Savannah got problematic, when facing traffic did not allow turning space.

What does IFTA mean on the Pennsylvania decal?

That's Easton Van Hool 138 behind 136. I heard Tauck has seven coaches from Easton. I wonder whether the Tauck decals come off between seasons. The Easton Coach website claims more than four hundred vehicles, but many of them appear to be vans.

The Tauck tour director and Easton driver did a flawless job. It was a great trip.
Joe McMahon
JimmiB

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, and I thought the company I drove for went a long distance to do lease work!

John, the IFTA sticker (International Fuel Tax Agreement) includes most states. The carrier has to file quarterly fuel tax returns. You have to report the mileage traveled in each state and fuel purchases in each state. The main advantage is that you do not need a fuel sticker for every state you go through. Your home state then collects the taxes due for all member states.
Jimbo

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Commission (WMATC)
GojiMet86

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see Easton quite often around Midtown.

DSC05244 by GojiMet86, on Flickr

IMG_6069 by GojiMet86, on Flickr
traildriver

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2024 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easton Coach also had a contract with the American Queen Voyages Company, an operator of the American Queen and other river cruise boats. When I rode the American Queen, they had 5 Van Hool coaches, wrapped for AQV providing "hop on, hop off" tours all along the way. The driver's spent the whole season following the boats, driving to the next port, and staying in a hotel while the boat cruised the night. They went from Minneapolis to New Orleans, then up to Pittsburgh, or Nashville on various cruises.

Unfortunately, AQV just went bankrupt and out of business.

And speaking of bankrupt....
https://www.busandmotorcoachnews.com/van-hool-reorganization-wont-impact-2024-bus-production-says-abc-companies/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Over The Road Carriers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: