BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help recover old BusTalk threads!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Announcements & Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ripta42
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:25 am    Post subject: Help recover old BusTalk threads! Reply with quote

So far, I've been able to recover at least some portion of 48 BusTalk.net threads from Google's cache. It's rather time-consuming and tedious, so I could use some help. Here's what to do:

1. Do an advanced search for the name of a poster or some text from a thread, and fill in the Domain field with forum.bustalk.net.

2. Click "Cached" under each thread that comes up. Don't bother with the forum index pages.

3. Go to View>Source, and save the source as a text file in the following format: Thread Name_page#.txt. If the original thread was only one page long, omit the _page#.

I've posted the recovered threads at bustalk.hopetunnel.org/archive. I've already attempted to restore them into the database, with limited success. If there's anyone out there with SQL database skills and a lot of free time, please step forward. (Better yet, you might want to run and hide Foamer)

Last edited by ripta42 on Sun Sep 30, 2007 12:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Cyberider

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm no computer guru and had no idea one could recover threads from a defunct site. Interesting! However, I do have the artwork for my Mom's "Tribute to NYBS" of which a portion was used at the top of each BusTalk page and you are welcome to it if you want it. Just let me know! Mr. Green
ripta42
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 5:32 pm    Post subject: First recovered thread posted! Reply with quote

I'm happy to announce that I successfully recovered a thread:

Witness the RTS-I, posted by RTS_04 on January 18, 2006.

Don't expect a flood of restored posts just yet, though. Since we don't have access to the old database, it involves my making the posts myself on a hidden board, manually updating the poster's name and post time (converted into number of seconds from midnight, January 1, 1970) for each post in the database, then moving the thread onto its proper board. If anyone can think of a better way, let me know!

Cyberider, feel free to e-mail the image to me at ripta42@hopetunnel.org. Not sure how I'll use it yet.
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 7:42 pm    Post subject: 'Reincarnation of BTN' Reply with quote

Ripta42,

All I can say is; Oh My G_d! - I don't believe it - I already found my 'GM Old Look Reminiscences' and more!

What can I say - I'm just sorry that I understand so little about computers, and cannot do much to help.

Keep up the great work (as long as you can).

In the meantime, I'll try to understand the formula you have provided for recoveries.

Mr. Linsky

"The Green Hornet"
Green Bus Lines, Jamaica, New York
ripta42
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Second one is up, NABI Contract for New Jersey? in the Surface Transportation - Eastern United States section. For an explanation of the posters with an underscore before their handles, see this post in Announcements & Information.
GBL Rebel

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every time I try to do the Google search I get a message telling me I'm like an automated request and I'm being blocked. When I do get in, its all unknown territory. Sorry RIPTA, but I'm not the guy to try and help you, wish I could though.
ripta42
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got that message once, too, but it usually works OK. Thanks for the effort, though!
B53RICH

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I followed the correct directions as you posted but when I open the document that I have saved, it is displayed in code, not as a web page. Did I do something wrong or is there another step?
ripta42
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, that's correct. I want the code, not the web page.
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 4:50 pm    Post subject: BTN Threads Reply with quote

It is apparent that someone at some point in this attempt to reprise the threads of BTN used my name as poster which, of course, zeroed in on "Vintage Gallery - New York City - Green Bus Lines" (what else?).

I don't think the word 'flabbergasted' even touches how I felt when I began to read through page 2 (the only one available at the moment) to see that my body of work (some of which I thought was lost to cyberspace forever) was still in tact along with the efforts of so many other members.

We certainly owe a debt of gratitude to Michael for the 'herculean' task that he has undertaken to bring us these valuable records and the enjoyment that accompanies them!

Mr. Linsky
operator, Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, New York (I love the word 'operator'!).
BrooklynBus

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a word of advice for the future. Whenever you post something that you feel is real worthwhile, save it first on your own computer as a word document or other word processing program. Then you can copy and paste it into the forum you;re posting into. That way you'll always have it unless your computer goes down for some reason and you don't have it backed up.
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BrooklynBus,

We certainly (or, at least I certainly) learned a lesson with BusTalk.Net that disappeared overnight with 580 of my posts chocked full of photographs!

I now transfer all pictures to my 'Picture Manager' and, in certain cases to 'My Documents' for safekeeping.

I also back up on a regular basis.

Certain pictures that I transfer to emails must be routed through documants due to the fact that if they go directly via Picture Manager, my entire album carries along with it and, while I have little to hide and nothing illegal, there are certain pictures that I would rather that no one else see! (I'm sure we all do)!

Thanks for sharing.

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Jamaica, NY
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Announcements & Information All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: