BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MTA to purchase 850 buses from Daimler/Orion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Transit Bus Manufacturers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RailBus63

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:26 am    Post subject: MTA to purchase 850 buses from Daimler/Orion Reply with quote

New York Daily News

Quote:
Hybrid buses to roll

The Metropolitan Transportation Authority plans to buy 850 hybrid buses from Daimler AG for about $435.8 million, adding capacity to the city's mass transit network.

About 745 of the new vehicles will be used by NYC Transit, which runs the subways and buses, and about 105 will be used by its MTA bus division, operator of some local routes in Brooklyn, the Bronx, Manhattan and Queens.

Bloomberg News
Mr RT

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a very l-o-n-g thread about this on BusChat.
RailBus63

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much of that thread is just painful to read. Let's try to keep this one to legitimate news and intelligent discussion.
Mr RT

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a fan site, that is a foamer one.
I at least skim over what's there every morning.
Occasionally there is something of interest there.
TransitGuy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well this is great , the MTA chooses to buy a bus that has suspension problems and the works. I'm sure the life time expectancy of these buses might be 8-10 years without an overhaul, maybe less. I guess NYC will be pretty dull and the Orion VII will be the modern day RTS. I'm sure though that many of the older NYCTA buses might either be handed down to MTA Bus or simply scrapped which seems odd since those buses seem to be better than the Orion VII.
Waynejay

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's strange how after the 1960s the NYCTA always seem to be doing the opposite of other major city transit agencies. For most of the 1970s they seemed to married to Flxible. At the same time other cites were buying either GMCs in large numbers or both GMC and Flxibles. After the Grumman 870 fiasco, the TA decided the 870/Metro was unfit for NYC streets even though they operated elsewhere (including MSBA and DOT privates) for many years. Then they decided to give Flxible a chance when it was too late. Now they're stuck on those Orion VII things while other cities use Orion VII and low floor buses from New Flyer and Neoplan. I can understand this buy NY thing, but only to a certain extent.
N4 Jamaica

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WayneJay referred to this "Buy NY thing." On SubChat, some of the fellows are intolerant of those who ask questions answered previously, far into the past. I appreciate the civility of BusTalk.
------
Am I correct that Orions are built in Oriskany? Is the manufacturing plant an old one from a previous firm? Does "Daimler" mean that the ownership is from Stuttgart?
Thanks.
Joe McMahon
RailBus63

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

N4 Jamaica wrote:
WayneJay referred to this "Buy NY thing." On SubChat,
Am I correct that Orions are built in Oriskany? Is the manufacturing plant an old one from a previous firm? Does "Daimler" mean that the ownership is from Stuttgart?
Thanks.
Joe McMahon

The bodies are built in Mississauga, Ontario and then trucked to Oriskany installation of major components and finishing. The Oriskany site was formerly the Griffiss Air Force Base which closed in the early 1990's.

This article from 1996 contains some details about the Oriskany plant - Orion's original operation in New York dates back to 1982 but the current assembly building was new when this was written.

Orion was a separate company until it ran into financial problems in the mid-1990's and was purchased by Western Star Trucks. Western Star in turn was purchased by DaimlerChrysler in 2000. When Daimler recently spun off the Chrysler car business, they kept Orion.
RTS_04

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RailBus63 wrote:
When Daimler recently spun off the Chrysler car business, they kept Orion.

That doesn't surprise me, seeing as Freightliner - who owns Western Star and therefore Orion - was owned by Daimler-Benz before the whole Chrysler "merger." I wouldn't think Cerberus would be interested in both Chrysler and Orion - especially since they already own NABI...
METRObusfan4950

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confused I have some questions about this recent order.

1. Will the order look EXACTLY like #1295---meaning---what we all saw when pictures surfaced showing the exterior of the bus? I ask because even though the bus was a demo, I have read that #1295 WAS built to MTA Bus spcifications.

2. How many rooftop door hatches will there be for this bus? One---or---two? TTC's Orion VII NG HEVs will have two. I hope we get two for our (Houston METRO) NG HEVs that'll come in next year.

Thanks for whatever answers come this way.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Transit Bus Manufacturers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: