BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Magnificent Scenicruiser: "America's Bus"
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
Mr. "L":

As usual, many thanks for another wonderful combination....LOVE those classic "Baby Scenicruisers"! Very Happy

BTW:

Can you shed any light whatsoever on my GREYHOUND hostess inquiry?

As I stated earlier here, I have a number of toy GREYHOUNDS from long ago, and those that have hostesses depicted show them in RED uniforms, like those once employed by CONTINENTAL TRAILWAYS.....any info you can share?

Thanks!

"NYO"

NYO,

I haven't the foggiest notion - never really studied that phase of Greyhound or Continental operations although hostesses do appear in many of the latter's ads and some of the ACF's used had a special seat forward of the front door for the servers.

Sorry I can't help further but you'll be the first to know if I come up with anything!

Regards, Mr. 'L'
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. "L":

Thank you for your response....I see you are as much "in the dark" on this one as I am!

Yes, many old photos exists of the charming hostessses that worked for CONTINENTAL TRAILWAYS (many period timetable covers also prominently feature these stylish young ladies)

But, like yourself, I have yet to have seen even ONE photo of a GREYHOUND hostess; however, there is a brief mention in"GREYHOUND SCENICRUISER: FLAGSHIP OF THE FLEET" (McNally/Rayman) of the two hostesses that were assigned to the SCENICRUISER (EASTERN GREYHOUND LINES #4241) which ran the "WALL STREET EXECUTIVE COACH" service in 1971......

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All:

Yesterday, I just added yet another vintage tin SCENICRUISER to my ever-growing collection; this early-60's toy is one of the many smaller two-axle "SCENICRUISER" toys that were so commonplace, some 50-odd years ago.

This particular bus was sold in Oregon depots and area Post Houses, as the roof of the bus is lithographed with images of several "OREGON COAST" landmarks.

This "local" lithography was quite common on both large and small toy SCENICRUISERS sold at Post Houses and depots across the nation, many years ago.

I also have a slighter larger bus (three axle, w/original box) that has several prominent Texas landmarks lithoed on its roof.

These neat little buses are today desireable collectors items, and are getting more and more difficult to find, despite them being made in large numbers, back in the day.....

"NYO"
traildriver

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:49 pm    Post subject: Scenicruiser's Reply with quote

It's been quite a while since I visited this site, and after reading this great thread, I sure am happy to be back!

Thanks, for all your great links, NYO....they are much appreciated.

The Greyhound Scenicruiser, while not my personal favorite from a driver's standpoint, (that honor goes to the PD-4106), it is definitely my all-time greatest coach ever built from a passenger's standpoint.
It's timeless, iconic, Raymond Loewy styling set a standard that will never be equaled.

I may have mentioned this before, but when I was seven years old, I dragged my mother to the old Pennsylvania Greyhound Terminal in 1954, when the Scenicruiser made is public debut, and went on display. There was a line that stretched 'around-the-block' to see the new wonder.

Imagine any coach nowadays getting that kind of reception....
'fahgeddaboudit'.....

As far as hostess service....I cannot recall the Scenicruiser ever being used in an extra-fare public schedule (not exclusive charter like the Hartford insurance special mentioned). A certain amount had Motorola individual AM radio tuner's installed in the overhead package racks at one point. These were primarily used on northeast and midwest to Florida Limited routes. They even gave certain runs names like "Sun King" or "Sun Maid". I still have one of the plastic sound tube headphones they distributed on board in my collection, somewhere...

Later on, Greyhound used these on certain "Executive Limited" nonstop trips on the St. Louis-Kansas City, or Fort Worth-Dallas routes(and some other's). These were reserved trips, but no hostess or food service were provided, and no extra fare was charged.

Southeastern and Florida Greyhound Lines did briefly operate a "Golden Greyhound" Limited service with a hostess and snacks between Cincinnati and Miami. But strangely, they used modified PD-4104's with two and one seating on that service. I believe they used ACF-Brills on it prior to the introduction of the 'Highway Traveler's' (4104's).

When Continental Trailways ramped up their Five Star Luxury Service to a lot more markets in the late sixties-early seventies period, Greyhound did fight back with its new "VIP Bus Plus" service, with hostesses serving snacks on Boston-New York-Washington routes, using galley equipped MC-7's.... It only lasted a year or two, IIRC.....
traildriver

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:50 pm    Post subject: Scenicruiser's Reply with quote

It's been quite a while since I visited this site, and after reading this great thread, I sure am happy to be back!

Thanks, for all your great links, NYO....they are much appreciated.

The Greyhound Scenicruiser, while not my personal favorite from a driver's standpoint, (that honor goes to the PD-4106), it is definitely my all-time greatest coach ever built from a passenger's standpoint.
It's timeless, iconic, Raymond Loewy styling set a standard that will never be equaled.

I may have mentioned this before, but when I was seven years old, I dragged my mother to the old Pennsylvania Greyhound Terminal in 1954, when the Scenicruiser made is public debut, and went on display. There was a line that stretched 'around-the-block' to see the new wonder.

Imagine any coach nowadays getting that kind of reception....
'fahgeddaboudit'.....

As far as hostess service....I cannot recall the Scenicruiser ever being used in an extra-fare public schedule (not exclusive charter like the Hartford insurance special mentioned). A certain amount had Motorola individual AM radio tuner's installed in the overhead package racks at one point. These were primarily used on northeast and midwest to Florida Limited routes. They even gave certain runs names like "Sun King" or "Sun Maid". I still have one of the plastic sound tube headphones they distributed on board in my collection, somewhere...

Later on, Greyhound used these on certain "Executive Limited" nonstop trips on the St. Louis-Kansas City, or Fort Worth-Dallas routes(and some other's). These were reserved trips, but no hostess or food service were provided, and no extra fare was charged.

Southeastern and Florida Greyhound Lines did briefly operate a "Golden Greyhound" Limited service with a hostess and snacks between Cincinnati and Miami. But strangely, they used modified PD-4104's with two and one seating on that service. I believe they used ACF-Brills on it prior to the introduction of the 'Highway Traveler's' (4104's).

When Continental Trailways ramped up their Five Star Luxury Service to a lot more markets in the late sixties-early seventies period, Greyhound did fight back with its new "VIP Bus Plus" service, with hostesses serving snacks on Boston-New York-Washington routes, using galley equipped MC-7's.... It only lasted a year or two, IIRC.....
traildriver

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for duplicate post....don't know how that happened....moderator please remove it. Thanks....
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

WELCOME BACK, MY FRIEND! Very Happy

It's been quite awhile since you last were seen around these parts, and it sure is glad to have you back on board....truly missed your kind words and always detailed posts and contributions!

So well known was the SCENICRUISER name, that, even many vintage tin toy buses that clearly were NOT Scenicruisers, were so labeled regardless.

A number of classic toy hounds (some of these loosely based on ACF-BRILL C-44's) have 'SCENICRUISER" emblazoned on thier lithographed tin flanks.

However, the BEST example of this is a huge tin battery operated Fishbowl transit, that dates to the early 60's; on its sides, it reads "SUPER SCENICRUISER"(!!) Shocked

Aaaahhhh, artistic liberties! Wink

What REALLY dates this vintage toy is the legend "AIR CONDITIONED".....yep, that was a loooong time ago! Rolling Eyes

"NYO"
traildriver

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a few toy Scenic's in my collection...but your post brings back a very strong memory of a time in my childhood when I learned about "Have's" and "Have Not's"....
One day at school, during a "show and tell", one of my classmate's (third grade, perhaps?), brought in his new radio-controlled Scenicruiser model.
I was hugely envious, and begged for one when I reached home, later.
That was when I learned 'the facts of life', that our family budget could in no way afford something that elaborate at the time..... Crying or Very sad
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver wrote:
I have a few toy Scenic's in my collection...but your post brings back a very strong memory of a time in my childhood when I learned about "Have's" and "Have Not's"....
One day at school, during a "show and tell", one of my classmate's (third grade, perhaps?), brought in his new radio-controlled Scenicruiser model.
That was when I learned 'the facts of life', that our family budget could in no way afford something that elaborate at the time..... Crying or Very sad

traildriver:

There is a photo of this rare toy in the SCENICRUISER book I've mentioned previously; I know I never saw one growing up (and I had a LOT of toy Hounds, back then!); however, I DID see one some time ago up for sale on eBay........the asking price was pretty much in sync what folks paid for a used Rambler American, 50 years ago....(!!) Shocked

I'd do just about anything to have this beautiful "SONAR-GUIDED SCENICRUISER WITH AUDIO-MAGIC CONTROL" in my archives today...... Rolling Eyes

"NYO"

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver wrote:

traildriver:

In case you missed this little gem early on in the thread, here it is again...... Wink

"NYO"

http://shopbluzinger.com/JD2013C/jdgreyhound1a.jpg
traildriver

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NYO...thanks for the link...I'm not sure of that "sonic controlled" toy is the same one my classmate had, or not. I recall he had a remote control that would make his bus go forward or reverse, and turn right or left.
I do recall it had a rather large antenna on its roof.....
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver wrote:
NYO...thanks for the link...I'm not sure of that "sonic controlled" toy is the same one my classmate had, or not. I recall he had a remote control that would make his bus go forward or reverse, and turn right or left.
I do recall it had a rather large antenna on its roof.....

traildriver:

There were a number of "remote control" SCENICRUISERS back in the 50's and early 60's; most of these had a hand-held battery box that had buttons to make the bus go forward or backwards (In the later 50's and 60's, countless battery operated Japanese tin vehicles featured this type of "remote control")

Some of these battery boxes also had a small steering wheel, to allow you to turn the bus, as well as make it go forward or reverse.

Perhaps the earliest battery operated SCENICRUISER is one that I have in my collection; it must date to about 1957 or thereabouts.

It is about "S" scale in size, and is one of the many two-axle versions made.

On the roof over the lower deck is a lever, marked simply: "FWD" "RVS"

As implied by the markings, the bus simply goes forward or reverse; no steering or other features.

The same bus was also available as a friction toy (I have that one also)

So much variety in toy SCENICRUISERS, back in the day! Wink

"NYO"

PS:

There were also a number of large tin "SONICON" buses made in Japan; some of these did, in fact, feature a large antenna, while otthers had what appeared to be a large radar dish on the roof.

I cannot recall any SCENICRUISERS like these, however....if any were made, I'd sure love to have one in my collection today!
traildriver

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did once get a 1/25 scale, IIRC, toy car that had a 'remote control'...it was connected to the car via a four foot or so long cable...it was not radio-controlled.....there was a button for forward and another for reverse, and there was a steering wheel that twisted a cable to control the steering. You had to walk along with it as you controlled it.
I had fun, none-the-less, especially practicing my 'parallel parking' skills between other toy vehicles.... Smile
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

Just came across this VERY unusual remote control "retro" SCENICRUISER that appears to be constructed of LEGO (or something similiar!) Shocked

The remote control is quite reminiscent of those I remember attatched to a toy vehicle by a cable, long, long ago........

"NYO"

http://images.mocpages.com/user_images/18249/1338072694m_SPLASH.jpg
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is another two-axle tin litho SCENICRUISER I have in my collection (it measures a little over 6 inches in lenth)

Back in the late 50's and early 60's, nifty little SCENICRUISERS like this could be purchased for under $1.00 at virtually any five-and-ten or candy store......aaaahhh, the good old days! Very Happy

http://www.vectis.co.uk/AuctionImages/431/4776_l.jpg
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: