BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

You KNOW you're getting old.....

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 2:22 am    Post subject: You KNOW you're getting old..... Reply with quote

.....if this classic early/mid-1960's era photo brings back nostalgic memories of a long-ago era in "Noo Yawk" transportation.

Both bus and subway historians of a certain age bracket are sure to recall this long-gone era; the classic "BUS STOP" sign, the near-empty street wastebasket and the clean streets, all serve to date this nostalgic scene as much as the Old Look, 1904 IRT kiosk, and the once oh-so-familiar Checker cab (remember those?!!?)

Man, I am feeling so OLD now........ Rolling Eyes

"NYO"

http://www.geocities.ws/nyctransit/sub/kiosk1.jpg
frankie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heck, I started feeling old years ago thanks to Mr. L and his fantastic never ending nostalgic photos of buses from in and around New York City. Memory lane at its finest!

Frankie (in my rocking chair at my computer!)
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

frankie wrote:
Heck, I started feeling old years ago thanks to Mr. L and his fantastic never ending nostalgic photos of buses from in and around New York City. Memory lane at its finest!

Frankie (in my rocking chair at my computer!)

Frankie:

Those of us old enough to remember Old Looks, IRT kiosks, and b/w prime time TV shows are indeed borderline museum relics! Shocked

Hey, I don't care........I MAY be getting OLD, but at least I got to see all the great BUSES! Wink

"NYO"
frankie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NYO:

One thing we can be thankful for is the opportunity to ride one of a kind buses that no other U.S. city has ever "ordered". Off hand, excluding experimentals, we had the TDH-4510, TDH-5101 and the Bingham Macks for bragging rights.

Frankie
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

frankie wrote:
NYO:

One thing we can be thankful for is the opportunity to ride one of a kind buses that no other U.S. city has ever "ordered". Off hand, excluding experimentals, we had the TDH-4510, TDH-5101 and the Bingham Macks for bragging rights.

Frankie

Frankie:

Good point!

Though I am now pushing 60(!!), I cannot help but be grateful that I grew up riding buses that today would be museum pieces....Old Look YELLOWs and GM's, WHITES, MACKS, ACF-BRILLS, and prewar TWINS......and, of course, the still-stunning and timeless FISHBOWL.......

Today, it seems like 100 years ago that I was a youngster, happily watching those now-antique buses roll by my old apartment house in Union City, NJ, not to mention the countless rides on them.

If getting older means you have a rich storehouse of great memories of growing up with classic buses, then I don't have the slightest problem with that!

Memories, memories....

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The stuff of memories.......

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?3384

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?3387

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?1385

(courtesy: bus.nycsubway.org)
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bus enthusiast KNOWS he's getting old.......

.......when he's watching a vintage movie set in "Noo Yawk" and can state with frank honesty......

"Man, I remember those buses!" Shocked

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another example of a bus enthusiast who is clearly a product of another era.....

When you are approaching your stop aboard a moden bus, and you reach to press the yellow tape to signal the driver that you wish to alight, you still think of it as "pulling the buzzer cord" (been there, done that, trust me!) Wink

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When these now-vintage photos were snapped back in the 50's, I doubt the photographer then was thinking of "making bus memories on film".......how we took such classic vehicles for granted, once upon a time!

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?3957

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?3981

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?3988

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?3970

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In 1955, when these two brutish MACKS were snapped resting between runs at the Flatbush Depot, the year 2015 must have seemed many light-years into the far and distant future.......

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?3952

frankie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
In 1955, when these two brutish MACKS were snapped resting between runs at the Flatbush Depot, the year 2015 must have seemed many light-years into the far and distant future.......

The "60 WILSON" bus was the route we always took since we lived a few houses from the corner Wilson. Westbound went to Bridge Plaza and eastbound had a choice of Williams Ave, E. 108th St. or Glenwood!

Frankie
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

frankie wrote:
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:

The "60 WILSON" bus was the route we always took since we lived a few houses from the corner Wilson. Westbound went to Bridge Plaza and eastbound had a choice of Williams Ave, E. 108th St. or Glenwood!

Frankie

Frankie:

Glad that photo brought back memories!

In my area of northern NJ 50-odd years ago, MACKS of various models were as commonplace as cracks in the sidewalk; they seemed to have a cocky "Get the h**l outta my way!" attitude about them....they almost seemed to bully thier way through traffic!

Last in my childhood neighborhood in Union City were operated by the NHBL on the #1 LOCAL route; they disappeared about 1968, and haven't ridden on one since....man, oh, man, those sure were the days, though.....

"NYO"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: