BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Magnificent Scenicruiser: "America's Bus"
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another British "relation" to the SCENICRUISER was this smart YELLOWAY "PULLMAN-DE LUXE" coach of the 1930's......

http://yellowaymotorcoachmuseum.co.uk/1932_observation_coach.jpg
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also from GB, this beautiful 1961 Morris FFK.......

http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4144/5090649698_80007ebbcf_o.jpg
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NYCO,

C. D. Beck of Sydney, Ohio was a marginal producer of inexpensive parlor cars and one of GM's lesser competitors in the 'deck and a half' market place who really bit off more than it could chew when faced with bidding on 1001 Scenicruisers to be built exclusively for Greyhound - they just didn't have the wherewithal to do the job.

However, with GM's introduction of the PD-4104, another phenomenal winner in the early fifties, Beck joined forces with Mack to produce a virtual copy of the new bus and actually sold fifteen to the Hound.

That was a last gasp because Mack along with Beck disappeared from bus manufacture soon after.

'Beck & a Half' shown below courtesy of the Motor Bus Society.

Regards,

Mr. 'L'

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. "L":

Again, I thank you for your latest contributions! Very Happy

Recall, too, the "baby SCENICRUISERS on steroids".......also, built by BECK, back in 1956 (9000 seies); also, the Flex "VISTALINER".

And, of course, mention must be made of the "DNAT" (Darn Near A Twin!) SCENICRUISER clone, also built by BECK (1955)

At a quick glance, one could easily mistake this handsome "knock off" as a SCENICRUISER"!

QUEEN CITY TRAILWAYS once operated three of these coaches........

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An excellent page on BECK buses, with many rare photos.

There are a number of vintage photos of BECK "Scenicruiser lookalikes" ("....imitation IS indeed the SINCEREST form of flattery....") Wink

Also, note the BECK versions of the 4104......bulked up, beefed up, and TOUGH, for certain!

*Sidenote:

MISSOURI PACIFIC TRAILWAYS had a number of 1945 PDA-3702's that were later refurbished with 4104-style windows, and 4103 front ends; these buses later went on to serve with CONTINENTAL TRAILWAYS......

"NYO"

http://www.coachbuilt.com/bui/b/beck/beck.htm

(courtesy: Coachbuilt)
roymanning2000

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Beck Scenicruiser look-alike was the model DH-1040. Twelve were built, four for Queen City Trailways (which had an equity interest in Beck) and the remaining eight for two operators in Cuba. The Cuban buses had two lavatories.

Beck financed the Cuban buses themselves. However, I don't believe they ever made to Cuba, sitting on a dock in Miami for a year or two. They were eventually repossessed around the time that Mack bought Beck. They were rebuilt with one restroom and the original Cummins engines were replaced by Mack diesels. They were then sold in the U. S. with Queen City getting four of them.

Queen City liked their DH-1040's a great deal and ran them into the late-60's. They were used almost exclusively on charters, seeing little regular-route work.

One thing that made the DH-1040 resemble the Greyhound Scenicruiser so much were the side windows. They were the same windows used on the Scenicruiser and the 4104. These windows, manufactured by O. M Edwards, were stock items that could be purchased by any bus manufacturer. Beck also used them on the 9200 and 9600 cruisers and Fitzjohn incorporated them into its Roadrunner 4104-look-alike as well.

Roy
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roy:

Gtreat info on these unique "SCENICRUISER lookalikes"....thanks for sharing!

Yes, I had heard about the coaches destined for Cuba; in fact, a long while back, I even recall seeing a photo of one of the buses sporting Spanish lettering.

Sharp-eyed bus buffs of that era could easily tell the difference between the BECK "Scenicruiser" and the genuine article as it approached; the front end of the BECK had a 'beefier" look to it, more in sync with a BECK coach than a GM product.

The rear of the BECK also featured different contours than those used on the GM coaches.

But, then again, at a quick glance, one could swear they were seeing a "gen-you-ine" SCENICRUISER........certainly a "kissing cousin", without a doubt.......

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentlemen:

Did a quick search, and was lucky enough to find this photo of a BECK "Scenicruiser", lettered for the Cuban company that was to operate them.....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/autobuses/7158737115
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a BECK two-axle "Baby Scenicruiser"; interestingly, I have many similiar tin litho toy "SCENICRUISER" buses in my collection that replicate this basic two-axle design, in various GREYHOUND liveries (these toys are also sometimes found in TRAILWAYS versions).....

http://www.coachbuilt.com/bui/b/beck/oo1954_beck_DH1030_1.jpg

(courtesy: Coachbuilt)
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 1955 Flxible "VISTALINER"......

http://www.curbsideclassic.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Flxible-Vistaliner-1955.jpg

(courtesy: CurbsideClassics)
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2015 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On an interesting trivia note, as of 2013, some 230-odd SCENICRUISERS still survive.

Of course, not all have even been restored cosmetically; a number of stripped and lonely hulks sit forgotten in remote woodland areas and desolate rural areas.....a far cry from the glory days when these majestic buses flashed along America's highways and byways.

Interestingly, at least 10 of them were purchased by European buyers, either to be restored or to be converted into motor homes.

When one considers that, at one time, 1,001 SCENICRUISERS were once in service, 230 does not seem all that impressive a number.....truly heartbreaking to think of these iconic American buses being torn apart for scrap.

However, his sobering fact indeed makes a SCENICRUISER enthusiast glad that the aforementioned 230 or so survivors are still with us today.....

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All:

Just added another rare vintage toy SCENICRUISER to my collection (actually, I have had one in my collection for several years now, but the one I just purchased still has its original circa-1960 box)

Made of lithographed tin (and friction powered) by the KTS toy company of Japan, this is one of the more rare toy SCENICRUISERS; the box art proclaims this to be a "MAGIC GREYHOUND BUS".

This bus was also available in dark blue and light blue liveries, but as a "standard" SCENICRUISER.

This one features a right hand side that whose windows are smaller and more numerous than the more protypical windows on the opposite side. Inside these open windows is a tin strip with lithographed passengers visible in each window.

An opening door is also featured, behind the front wheel, and a small yellow lever in the roof actuates this door, which swings open to reveal a hostess.

At the same time, the passengers on the upper level disappear, as though they have just stepped off.

When the lever is pushed the other way, the door closes and the passengers then reappear in the right hand side windows.

Truly one of the most appealing and imaginative of all vintage SCENICRUISER toys.......

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All:

Just recieved the aforementioned vintage tin friction toy "MAGIC GREYHOUND BUS" (SCENICRUISER); on the box, it states:

"....stewardess and passengers appear and disappear by lever action......."

Now, I have a number of tin toy GREYHOUND buses in my collection that depict a hostess/stewardess, but I have yet to find any photos showing GREYHOUND hostesses.

I have, however, seen many pictures of CONTINENTAL TRAILWAY's red-clad hostesses........did GREYHOUND ever use hostesses in regular service (if even on an experimental basis?)

Appreciate any input......

"NYO"
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
The 1955 Flxible "VISTALINER"......

http://www.curbsideclassic.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Flxible-Vistaliner-1955.jpg

(courtesy: CurbsideClassics)

NYO,

Interesting coincidence below!

Photo courtesy of '4509bus' and is available at eBay as item # 351324116006.

Regards,

Mr. 'L'

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. "L":

As usual, many thanks for another wonderful combination....LOVE those classic "Baby Scenicruisers"! Very Happy

BTW:

Can you shed any light whatsoever on my GREYHOUND hostess inquiry?

As I stated earlier here, I have a number of toy GREYHOUNDS from long ago, and those that have hostesses depicted show them in RED uniforms, like those once employeed by CONTINENTAL TRAILWAYS.....any info you can share?

Thanks!

"NYO"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8

Jump to: