BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

'The Buses of Schenck Transportation'
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Long Island & Westchester Buses
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hart Bus

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing to see the dress code of the era. Boys in chino pants and shoes and girls with dresses and skirts. Oh, the good old days !
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In what may be the earliest image yet discovered of a piece of Schenck Transportation equipment, we see fleet # 10 on a circa 1930 Mack Model 'BC' chassis carrying what appears to be a typical Bender transit body

The photo, showing # 10 signed for Mineola, was part of an ad extolling the virtues of locally made Robert Bosch spark plugs and may have been taken along Jericho Turnpike not far from Schenck's home base in Floral Park, New York.

While the picture is in black and white, it is obvious that Schenck had already adopted its trademark and very handsome black over dark red livery.

Of further note are the roof fresh air intakes that had become mandatory in New York in the late twenties.

Just another piece of the Schenck puzzle now in place!

Photo courtesy of 4509bus and is up for bid on eBay as item # 350622642460.

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, New York

Hart Bus

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Linsky wrote:
Hart Bus,

It is probable that because of the fact the Schenck's tour/charter business was a seperate entity, it was not part of the takeover and that's why they were able to continue under the name Schenck Tours.

The only heavy eqiupment that I remember clearly were at least one or two GM PD 4100 single and a half deckers which incidentally, were the last of their kind ever built by the company.

BTW; I have updated the Schenck roster and will continue to do so until I find every last bus they ever ran!

I certainly hope that these rosters that I am putting together are appreciated because the hours of research are unbelievable - but I enjoy it and, at my age, what else have I got to do?

An exhausted Mr. Linsky
"The Green Hornet"
Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica & Arverne, NY

I realize that this is an old post, but in trying to research Schenk Transportation and whether they or Schenck Tours ever ran a route from Flushing to Jones Beach in the late 1960's, I came across this link. It shows that Schenk Tours went out of business in 1987.

http://www.dcontrol.com/profile/SCHENCK_TOURS,_INC./100815/.

There is a travel agency in Floral Park and one in Suffolk,under Schenck travel and tours. Don't know if that is an outgrowth of the company or a person named Schenck.
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hart Bus wrote:
Mr. Linsky wrote:
Hart Bus,

It is probable that because of the fact the Schenck's tour/charter business was a seperate entity, it was not part of the takeover and that's why they were able to continue under the name Schenck Tours.

The only heavy eqiupment that I remember clearly were at least one or two GM PD 4100 single and a half deckers which incidentally, were the last of their kind ever built by the company.

BTW; I have updated the Schenck roster and will continue to do so until I find every last bus they ever ran!

I certainly hope that these rosters that I am putting together are appreciated because the hours of research are unbelievable - but I enjoy it and, at my age, what else have I got to do?

An exhausted Mr. Linsky
"The Green Hornet"
Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica & Arverne, NY

I realize that this is an old post, but in trying to research Schenk Transportation and whether they or Schenck Tours ever ran a route from Flushing to Jones Beach in the late 1960's, I came across this link. It shows that Schenk Tours went out of business in 1987.

http://www.dcontrol.com/profile/SCHENCK_TOURS,_INC./100815/.

There is a travel agency in Floral Park and one in Suffolk,under Schenck travel and tours. Don't know if that is an outgrowth of the company or a person named Schenck.

Intresting that Schenck Tours stopped operating in 1987 yet the company name didn't go inactive until 2009 according to New York State.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Hart Bus

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a CPA, allow me to elaborate on S-60's comment about Schecnk Tours cessation of existence.

1 - Just because they stopped operating buses in 1987, does not mean that they ceased to exist immediately. Perhaps there was still a business purpose to keep the Corporation alive. To butr1tess my point, FACC routes and properties were seized in March of 1962 and they didn't get all of there money until 1969 or later. Still had to keep the company going.

Perhaps they carried on as strictly a tour company putting trips together and chartering buses for those excursions.

2 - All New York State corporations are required to file annual tax returns with the NYS Tax Department as well as a biennial reports with the NYS Department of State. The DOS is the agency that grants an entity the "privilege" to operate as a corporation.

3 - When it is decided by the board of directors that the corporation is no longer needed, there are two ways to dissolve the corporation, either the legal way or the common way.

A - The legal was is to file the corporate tax return and pay the tax due. Then file a "Notice of Dissolution" with the DOS and pay an additional fee. Plus compensating a professional to do this.

B - The common way. Mr. L with his legal background may make him cringe, but the reality is that everyone just walks away from the corporation and does nothing. After several notices from the Tax Department that you ignore or respond to by saying the corporation is defunct, out of business, and has no money to pay the assessment, they get the hint and in about three years the Commissioner of the DOS dissolves you by "Proclamation". Also payment of all taxes and fees are not a fiduciary responsibility of the "responsible persons"so they cannot be held personally liable for unpaid amounts.

Knowing how slow New York State is to think that Schecnk Tours Has probably ceased operations around 2005. What happened between 1987 and 2005 is anodyne's guess.
S-60 To Smith Haven Mall

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the detailed info Hart Bus.

I'm guessing that maybe Schenck went the common way since it's said next to inactive "Dissolution by Proclamation / Annulment of Authority"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seen at an unknown location (at least to me) and sans a time frame is fleet # 533 - a 1961 53 passenger (55 less a rear door) GM Coach modeled as an SDM 5301 and one of four likenesses numbered from 532 to 535 operating for the Schenck Tours Inc. division of Schenck Transportation Company of Floral Park, New York.

# 533 is in full Suburban configuration including comfortable high back reclining seats, parcel racks in place of standee glasses, a mechanical transmission and full underfloor luggage bins.

The 96 inch wide 40 foot long SDM 5301 was an extremely popular model and, between 1959 and 1962, nearly 600 were sold with almost all going to northeast operators.

Schenck's charter operations, which became a lucrative part of their business, continued as an independent entity even after the company gave up its transit franchises to the County of Nassau in 1973.

The 4" X 6" color photo below was recently sold by '4509bus' on eBay for a record breaking $46.00 - money well spent for this important remnant of Long Island's transit history.

Mr. Linsky - Green Bus Lines, Inc., Jamaica, New York

andy47

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:08 pm    Post subject: Buses of Schenck Transportation Reply with quote

Schenck was the predominant bus transit operator on the North Shore of Nassau County in the fifties and sixties. It also had many school bus contracts including my own district. Remember its bues well. Generally a well-run operation. The first time I took one of its buses in the fifties I was very surprised to see revenue collected with an NCR register instead of a fare box.
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy47,

Just thought you might enjoy the memorable 'Schenck' shot seen below - who knows, maybe you're one of the little critters boarding!

Photo courtesy of Getty Images.

Regards,

Mr. 'L'

N4 Jamaica

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a photo of high school boys from Staten Island at Expo 67 in May 1967. It was the long weekend that included Ascension Thursday. The Schenck driver loaded us on Clove Road near Targee Street and dropped us at the Longueil Metro station Thursday morning. I think this photo was taken Friday or Saturday after he shuttled us from Varennes to Expo. The evening pick-up was ten p.m. or later. Nobody got lost!

Below are two Schenck charters at College St-Paul, Varenne, P.Q., a dozen miles downstream from Expo 67. This boarding school and both NY schools were staffed by the same De La Salle Brothers congregation. Fortunately, the presence of two buses for morning and shuttles to Expo allowed the drivers to relieve each other by doing a double trip.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Long Island & Westchester Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: