BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bus u-turns on Riverdale Avenue, Bronx & Yonkers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Long Island & Westchester Buses
View previous topic :: View next topic  
N4 Jamaica

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:26 pm    Post subject: Bus u-turns on Riverdale Avenue, Bronx & Yonkers Reply with quote

During today's mid-day sun and frigid wind I stood today at the City Line of Riverdale Avenue to observe how buses looped. Some time ago, I wrote a brief thread about New York City buses that u-turn on a city street, but I cannot find the thread.
---
Anyhow, New York City Transit Authority buses travel north on Riverdale Avenue, drop their last passengers at West 263rd Street, enter Yonkers for a few yards, bend into Ellsworth Avenue, Yonkers, to get a start on a u-turn that is easy for smaller vehicles, but tight for transit buses. They then lay over in a long curbside bus stop in front of the College of Mount St. Vincent.
-----
I was there in the 1940's when Surface Transportation used post-war GMs on Bx10. If memory is correct, the u-turn was accomplished inside The Bronx, just short of Yonkers. The #8 streetcar of Yonkers Railroad (like Surface, a subsidiary of TARS), came south on a single track that did not cross the City Line. Years after streetcar service ended in 1952, Riverdale Avenue, Yonkers, was widened, approximately to the width of its Bronx design. I would say that Riverdale Avenue, Yonkers, was more densely populated than Riverdale Avenue, Bronx, in the 1940's.
---
N4 Jamaica

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tommy meehan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great photos. I have seen the Bee-Line 1C-1T-1W and 2 buses making the U-turn on Broadway by the W. 242nd Street subway station and the BX9 a bit further north along Broadway. But never the 8, BX7 and BX10 on Riverdale. I've ridden the BX10 but never that far north. And ridden the Bee-Line 8 many times but never that far south! I always wondered where exactly they turned and now I know.

Wink Cool!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Long Island & Westchester Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: