BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

johnson fare box

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Exchange Place & Collector's Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oneiron267

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:13 pm    Post subject: johnson fare box Reply with quote

i have a johnson fare box model d that i bought over 30 years ago from the portland maine facility. i live on long island and took it to the jamaica bus company in queens where it was repaired and put in working order.

it was used infrequently over the last 30 years, the turn wheel becoming harder and harder to turn. now it wont move. i tried looking at the internals and cannot make it work, but i am a poor repairman.

i am looking to take it to someone who can get it back in working order.

its a great conversation piece, and even more appreciated when the quarters, nickels, and dimes tinkle through.

IMG_2485a.jpg
 Description:
my repainted johnson fare box
 Filesize:  200.61 KB
 Viewed:  32265 Time(s)

IMG_2485a.jpg

Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oneiron267,

Firstly, allow me to take this opportunity to welcome you to BusTalk and say that we look forward your valued contributions and what we may be able to share with you.

It sounds to me like your model 'D' could use a nice WD40 treatment in and around all the moving parts of the guts.

I do my own (shown below) once in a while and it makes a big difference - try that.

Short of a broken part (which is extremely rare on a model 'D') you should be able to limber it up.

My machine, which was a chromium plated presentation model for a retiring Phoenix Transit driver, is electrically driven and I did have to have it converted 110 volt household power and it works like a charm.

You may find special expertise on the subject at;

http://www.collectorsweekly.com/stories/49-johnson-trolley-or-bus-d-farebox.

BTW; I did notice that your cheater ball is not in its cuff which is easily replaced by removing the glass enclosure.

Good Luck and regards,

Mr. 'L'

oneiron267

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:22 pm    Post subject: johnson fare box Reply with quote

thank you for your welcoming comments

that chrome box is very handsome..take some more photos of it.

i'm not confident about oiling and greasing the mechanism myself...do you know of any members in the queens/nassau area that i might bring the box to?

thanks again for your interest

steve
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oneiron267,

A Post Script to the above;

In looking a little more carefully at your machine I notice that your coin grinding handle assembly includes the driven wheel for an electric operation.

This would indicate that somewhere down the line the motor assembly along with its enclosure and the cover for the wheel were removed.

However, this would not necessarily interfere with manual operation because by merely removing the drive belt my machine will work as non electrified.

Regards,

Mr. 'L'
oneiron267

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i see that this gear is stripped in several places...any suggestions on obtaining replacement parts?

IMG_2506a.jpg
 Description:
stripped gear on johnson farebox
 Filesize:  232.52 KB
 Viewed:  32207 Time(s)

IMG_2506a.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Exchange Place & Collector's Corner All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: