BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What's This?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JimmiB

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:34 pm    Post subject: What's This? Reply with quote

Here is a photo that was posted on Facebook yesterday by "Reading Historic Districts". It is a shot of Reading, PA taken at 4th Street looking north on Penn Street.
I was trying to figure out what the bus is right behind the trolley. I thought at first that it may have been a Yellow Coach, but Reading Street Railway didn't buy any Yellows until 1944 and this looks like earlier in the 40's. Also, the rear wheels are situated almost in front of the rear bumper. With that and the rear end details I was thinking maybe a late 30's Faegol/Twin Coach.
Any ideas?

10352983_851757434863309_8267429140582452898_nA.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  224.33 KB
 Viewed:  8162 Time(s)

10352983_851757434863309_8267429140582452898_nA.jpg

roymanning2000

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimmiB,

That is a Twin of late 30's vintage. Don't know my pre-war Twins well enough to know the exact model. Similar buses on other properties were model 31-R but I think the model number varied with the seating capacity of the bus.

Roy
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just off the top of my pointed little head and with zilch to go on, I would say that the bus in the photo most closely resembles a 29 passenger 1935 Twin Coach modeled as a 30-R and for which Reading had ten numbered between 253 and 262.

I base my opinion on the 'four/three' window combination and the closeness of the rear axle to the rear bumper making it possibly the ugliest bus the company ever made as well as the most perilous for the rear axle in such close proximity to the rear end.

BTW; if you should happen to see a Rolls Royce in the photo it would undoubtedly belong to my great uncle Max of Luria Brothers Steel Corporation who had a marble mansion just outside of Reading for summer and weekends getaways.

Luria Brothers was the largest scrap dealer in the country specializing in the demolition of ships and trolley cars!

Regards,

Mr. 'L'
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: