BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NYC Vintage Buses - 2014 Edition

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Photographs, Bus Logs and Route Suggestion Ideas
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bill D

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:24 pm    Post subject: NYC Vintage Buses - 2014 Edition Reply with quote

The holiday tradition for this year! On the day of my visit, fishbowls dominated, with TDH-5301 #100 and T6H-5305A #5227 operating on the M42 route. TDH-5303 #3758 was on static display on 6th Avenue at Herald Square and old look TDH-5106 #3100 (sidelined from operating in service due to a broken seat) was displayed on 42nd Street near Grand Central Terminal. Here are some pictures - enjoy!

Bill

More pictures here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/billonthehill2001/sets/72157649782568071/
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: NYC Vintage Buses - 2014 Edition Reply with quote

[quote="Bill D"]The holiday tradition for this year! On the day of my visit, fishbowls dominated, with TDH-5301 #100 and T6H-5305A #5227 operating on the M42 route. TDH-5303 #3758 was on static display on 6th Avenue at Herald Square and old look TDH-5106 #3100 (sidelined from operating in service due to a broken seat) was displayed on 42nd Street near Grand Central Terminal. Here are some pictures - enjoy!

Bill

Bill D,

Great photos!

This would be a very difficult decision for a judge to make but I would say that # 5227 would take first prize this year - it really stands out among its contemporaries which are no slouches either!

One question about # 5227 which I believe was a Blitz rebuild; what is the function of the additional appendage on the roof and is it associated with an added ventilator in the bottom panel below what would have been the emergency door?

Thanks for sharing.

Mr. 'L'
Tiny Tim

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MR L it was a ac unit If I recall it was made by Sutrak.
Bill D

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: NYC Vintage Buses - 2014 Edition Reply with quote

Mr. Linsky wrote:

Great photos!

This would be a very difficult decision for a judge to make but I would say that # 5227 would take first prize this year - it really stands out among its contemporaries which are no slouches either!

One question about # 5227 which I believe was a Blitz rebuild; what is the function of the additional appendage on the roof and is it associated with an added ventilator in the bottom panel below what would have been the emergency door?

Thanks for sharing.

Mr. 'L'

You are very welcome Mr. L!

#5227 does stand out, not only among its contemporaries, but among the current buses as well. Even the bus operator wished that he could be running it more often.

The opening in the bottom panel is not a ventilator, but actually the battery compartment opening. The panel door was sitting inside the bus between the farebox and dash as seen below. I'm guessing that the rubber hinge must have failed.

Bill

John Roth

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All. My son and I (he's one week out of army basic training) are making our way to NYC on Fri 12/19 to ride the historic fleet on the M42. My question for you locals is there a more favorable place to board or will any stop do. We'll probably by a day pass to ride most of the afternoon and hope for a little bit of everything the MTA has to offer as far as vehicle selection. Your thoughts please.

John
Bill D

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Roth wrote:
All. My son and I (he's one week out of army basic training) are making our way to NYC on Fri 12/19 to ride the historic fleet on the M42. My question for you locals is there a more favorable place to board or will any stop do. We'll probably by a day pass to ride most of the afternoon and hope for a little bit of everything the MTA has to offer as far as vehicle selection. Your thoughts please.

John

For riding the vintage buses on the M42, any stop will do. You will just have to be patient and wait for one to come along. The two vintage buses were running about 5 to 7 minutes apart, and their end of line layovers overlapped. This should allow you to ride one to the end of the line and then catch the other one for the return. The fareboxes on the vintage buses were not in service, so the ride on them is free.

Bill
John Roth

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bill. Are the vintage buses always free? Also, we are going to jump over to the transit museum in Brooklyn using the 2 train exiting at Borough Hall. I believe it's only a short walk from there. Any thoughts on our plan?

John
RailBus63

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Roth wrote:
Thanks Bill. Are the vintage buses always free? Also, we are going to jump over to the transit museum in Brooklyn using the 2 train exiting at Borough Hall. I believe it's only a short walk from there. Any thoughts on our plan?

John

Borough Hall is definitely the closest station to the Transit Museum. You'll have a great time there!

Jim D.
John Roth

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So. We did make to NYC about 10am and headed out to Brooklyn to visit the Transit Museum. What a great display of information and vintage subway cars. We probably spent an hour sitting in each car and soaking up the way it used to be. By the time we finished our visit we were starving and found Piz-zetta at 90 Livingston St and had the best pizza I've had in a long time. We got back to 42nd St around 2:15 and caught #100 near 2nd Ave. As we reached the west end of 42nd St we were told that this was the last stop of the day as the MTA wanted the old coaches of the street at 3pm due to the crush of holiday traffic. The bus was packed with mostly transit fans and none were too happy, however, I think we all understood. Next year I will make sure to ride first then visit. All in all it was a fun day. Thanks to all for the advice given and yes the ride was free.

John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Photographs, Bus Logs and Route Suggestion Ideas All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: