BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Big City Transportation" (1954 library book)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:15 pm    Post subject: "Big City Transportation" (1954 library book) Reply with quote

This is a book I would like to recommend to fellow "nostalgia buffs".

This 1954 book was one I took out of our library too many times to count, back in the 60's.

I had mentioned this book to a fellow transit buff, and, through a dealer in old books, he found a copy, which he generously sent me as a gift.

This children's book is a must for anyone interested in pictures all forms of transport in the early 50's, on land, sea, and in the air.

A number of rare photos of New York City transport are featured in this wonderful old book.

One of my favorites shows a stylish New York gal boarding a shiny new FACC #1707 (my mother remembers this same photo in a copy of VOGUE magazine, many, many years ago)

Another New York picture shows the interior of a MACK C-50

There is also another wonderfully nostalgic view taken at the PABT, showing a line of well-dressed commuters boarding an ORANGE & BLACK Mack; on the adjacent platform, passengers are boarding a handsome ACF-BRILL, with "LOCAL-HACKENSACK" displayed on the roller curtain.

This ACF-BRILL also features the "pompadour" over the destination sign that we had discussed here awhile ago.

There is also plenty here for subway and elevated fans; one rare photo shows a DL&W tugboat alongside a car float carrying new IRT R-12 cars, emplazoned with huge banners: "NEW YORKERS, LOOK! YOUR NEW SUBWAY CARS!"

There are also other bus photos here as well; also, The Staten Island Ferry and the great ocean liners of the day are also given space in these pages.

Railroads, also, are represented by a number of now-classic photos, as are vintage piston-engined airliners.

Inside the front cover, is a crowded New York rush hour street scene, dominated by MACKS, Old Looks, and SkyView taxis.

Info on the book:

"BIG CITY TRANSPORTATION" (The "Big City Series")

CATHERINE URELL

ANNE JENNINGS

FLORENCE R. WEINBERG

Published by:

Gollett Publishing Company, 1954

This is really a great book I'd like to call to the attention of my fellow board members here, who enjoy photos of "The Days That Were", regarding New York City transportation......

"NYO"

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Sat Nov 08, 2014 6:23 pm; edited 2 times in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of the photo credits for the pictures depicting New York transit were credited to:

NEW YORK CITY BOARD OF TRANSPORTATION

NEW YORK HERALD TRIBUNE

NEW YORK TIMES

AMERICAN CAR & FOUNDRY

SHORT LINE SYSTEM, HUDSON TRANSIT LINES
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One chapter: "How We Go To School" mentions that the children ride to school on "a green and yellow bus".

The accompanying photo shows a group of school children aboard a square-window Old Look; the interior is totally devoid of any sort of advertising.

Too bad we don't get see an exterior shot of this bus (photo was provided by GENERAL MOTORS)........
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick suggestion:

If anyone can scare up a copy of these book, I hope they will scan the bus photos, and share them here.

These wonderful old "Noo Yawk" bus shots should be enjoyed by all on this board.

Virtually all the bus photos were taken in New York; one exception shows a CSL/CTA ACF-BRILL TC-44 trolley bus loading passegers.

I would have done so in a flash, unfortunately, I do not have a scanner.

This old book, if you can find a copy, is more than worthy of being included in any bus enthusiast's library, especially if they hail from the Greater New York area.....

"NYO"

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Sat Nov 08, 2014 6:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hart Bus

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ask and you shall partially succeed. Based upon your first post, the book sounded intriguing so I did an internet search for the book It led me to a seller on E-bay with a buy it know feature. The cost to me with shipping was a little over ten bucks.

I was informed that it was already shipped with a due date of next week.

Not being very computer literate I scan the pictures, but don't know how to post them. If necessary I can send them to another poster who (hopefully) do me the favor as he has done in the past.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hart Bus wrote:
Ask and you shall partially succeed. Based upon your first post, the book sounded intriguing so I did an internet search for the book It led me to a seller on E-bay with a buy it know feature. The cost to me with shipping was a little over ten bucks.

Not being very computer literate I scan the pictures, but don't know how to post them. If necessary I can send them to another poster who (hopefully) do me the favor as he has done in the past.

Hart Bus:

That's great news!

You are sure to enjoy this book; it is so nostalgic as to be virtually prehistoric!

So many photos show "Noo Yawk" transport as it was in the early 1950's; subway and rapid transit buffs (yours truly is also one of them!) are sure to savor the vintage subway and elevated views; one rare shot shows a conductor standing between two BUDD-built R-11 cars, operating the doors.

I'm especially interested in finding which company operated the "pompadour" ACF-BRILL C-44, at the platform adjacent to where an ORANGE & BLACK Mack is loading (this is at the bottom of page 25)

The commuters sure dressed sharp, back in those days.....(no "dressing down"!)

One of my favorites is the one on the center of page 19, showing the stylish lady boarding FACC Old Look #1707.

Another photo that is a MUST for posting here is the photo on the frontspiece; "SURFACE" Macks, Old Looks, and a sea of Skyview cabs; this beautiful scene really gets you fired up to try to find a "Wayback Machine" that's available for hire!

I'm glad you got the book for yourself; and I'm sure someone here who is more computer-savvy (certainly NOT me!) will be able to get the pictures up for you......I know our good friend Mr, "L" will certainly enjoy seeing them!

"NYO"

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Sat Nov 08, 2014 5:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hart Bus wrote:

ECA,

Glad to help to transfer when you've scanned to my email - I'm excited to see them myself.

Love and regards to you and the family,

WCA
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All:

One of the most valuable things about this vintage children's book, is that it is not only a wonderful look back at transport as it was, but, also, how society itself appeared at that time.

Cetrainly folks (especially commuters!) dressed a lot more stylishly than they do today; autos and taxis were much larger than they are today, and the West Side waterfront was still bustling with the great transatlantic liners calling at the old piers.

Buses were streamlined, sleek, and solid-looking; this was still decades before most buses came to resemble little more than mostly white, oversized shoe boxes!

If you grew up in the greater New York area in the 50's and early 60's, there is much year you can identify with.

This work is truly "A Book Of Many Memories"......

"NYO"

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Sun Nov 09, 2014 5:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another bus photo in this book worthy of mention (I have no idea where it was taken) shows a crowd of children and their mothers debarking from their chartered buses for a two-week stay in the country( bottom of page 33)

The two buses (both of the same company) appear to be early 40's PG/PD types; you can see small lettering above the windows near the door, but it is very difficult to read.

Perhaps "zooming" the image might give us more of an idea as to what company these buses were then running for.

(One clue: photo was provided by SHORT LINE SYSTEM, HUDSON TRANSIT LINES)

"NYO"

*Another photo where buses are to be seen is at the top of page 22, showing what was clearly an off-hour at the New Jersey side of the Lincoln Tunnel, dating back to the days when the tunnel only had two tubes.

Emerging from the NJ-bound tube are two WHITES; from the height the photo was taken, I cannot make out what company these two buses were from (they are both sporting identical paint); however, I think they MIGHT have been INTER-CITY coaches.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2014 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another sidenote:

If anyone here also has even a passing interest in vintage pistion-engined commercial aircraft, there are photos here that will surely interest you, especially if you can remember those long-lost days when airports still had open-air observation decks, equipped with the classic "coin in the slot" binoculars, the better to watch the propliners load, take off, and land!

Ahhhh, yes...."The Friendly Skies".........when air travel.......like ALL travel.....was still civilized and exciting......

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Earlier, I'd mentioned a photo on page 12 (courtesy of GENERAL MOTORS) showing the interior of an Old Look carrying children to school (Chapter: "HOW WE GO TO SCHOOL")

I had mentioned previously that the bus interior was totally devoid of advertising cards, which, of course, would make sense for a school vehicle.

However, on closer inspection, looking over the driver's head, there is no crank/handle visible for changing a roller sign, nor is their any hint of an outline marking the location of a sign box access hatch.......

"NYO"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: