BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Brooklyn Bridge: Els, Trolleys, But No Buses
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VOID

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VOID

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VOID
N4 Jamaica

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks to the BusTalk member who pointed me to Mary Shapiro's book, "A Picture History of the Brooklyn Bridge," which I found in a public library. I was trying to explain how Fred Zuhmuhlen's work of 1950 extended the box from just covering the trolley tracks to covering the widened 3-lane roadway. On page 119, photo 165 looks towards Brooklyn during reconstruction. The view shows the remaining Brooklyn-bound track meeting the box of the new roadway. On the north side Brooklyn-bound traffic flows, including a small bus. The box there surrounds only the trolley track.
---
I am neither engineer nor architect, so my language, especially the term "box," may be misleading. Trusswork may be the more important consideration. There was trusswork either side of the el tracks, the trusswork between which the trolleys ran from 1944 to 1950. One line of trusswork had to be repositioned in each direction to allow for the three traffic lanes. I presume they first had to construct the new trusswork on the outside of the roadway before removing the old trusswork between the streetcars and vehicular traffic. After all, trusswork with its triangles stiffens the bridge and (I presume) provides support for the underlying steel floor beams, which this book shows as having trapazoidal elements.
---
Nowadays, one drives an automobile through a three-lane box. However, I now realize that the trusses to the right and left of the roadways are the more important element. In each direction, one row of trusses in each direction had to be replaced by trusses on the edge of the bridge. That is the work that took several years after 1950.
---
On May 24, 1973, vehicles were forbidden for the day. Page 120 of Shapiro's book has a good look at the trusswork one sees from the roadway.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: