BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[MA] Berkshire Regional Transit Authority

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Surface Transit - Eastern United States
View previous topic :: View next topic  
N4 Jamaica

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:11 pm    Post subject: [MA] Berkshire Regional Transit Authority Reply with quote

We visited Berkshire County, Massachusetts, a few days ago. Because Mr. Linsky on 5.9.2014 had mentioned the blue buses of the Berkshire Street Rwy and offered a photo of a Berkshire Beaver, I wanted to take a few photos of present operations. It turns out the vans are coming.

BRTA's offices, Peter Pan and local ticket sales, and waiting room are in this building, which also provides an elevator down to Amtrak's daily train to Boston and daily train to Chicago.

N4 Jamaica

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

N4 Jamaica,

Wow! do these photos bring back memories although the railroad station is completely changed from what it was a half century ago.

The destination in the bottom photo of van # 1354 is special because my aunt and uncle lived at 464 Williams Street and my uncle's dairy processing plant was at 25 Ontario Street right off Elm - if you Google 25 Ontario below - you'll see what was the big addition that they built in 1950 which is now a Chiropractor's office.

https://www.google.com/search?q=25+Ontario+Street+Pittsfield+Mass&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=sb

If you look at the new house to the left it sits where the original stable was for the horse drawn milk wagons which was eventually turned into a company truck repair and garage for the Brockway raw milk tanker and the older house to the right was my uncle's brother's home.

My last visit to Pittsfield was with my wife before she passed away five years ago and most seemed to be unchanged.

Thanks for the memories!

Mr. 'L'
N4 Jamaica

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for relating the bus route sign to Ontario Street and the milk business. When I hear a personal connection to a town or neighborhood, suddenly my view of the place becomes alive. Also, it leads to further questions, such as the disappearance of the word "creamery" from ordinary talk. Supposedly, the word appeared in American life in the 1870's and is now quite gone.
---
Later, I will probably explain two personal connections to Great Barrington.
Best wishes.
Joe
---
By the way, Berkshire Regional Transit Authority changed over to the Charlie Card. Until the past January, they had a simple paper ticket system: One ticket for each town you rode through, with a maximum of four zones charged.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Surface Transit - Eastern United States All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: