BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

When is a "Fishbowl" a "New Look"?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"CLASSICS IN LIMBO".......

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?1633

(courtesy bus.nycsubway.org)
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"BIG MAC(K)"..........

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?3621

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This 1964 photo shows a particularly handsome HEMPSTEAD BUS Mack; note that the windows on this coach seem to have been unfluenced by those used on ACF-BRILLS.

The vintage RAMBLER station wagon on the left further dates this nostalgic scene......

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?632

Hart Bus

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:

Those three buses are all in the museum fleet
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hart Bus wrote:

I knew the MACK was in the Museum fleet, but didn't know that those two particular Old Looks were also in the Fleet.

What threw me was the photo date; as those buses had been already OOS for many years, I thought it odd they were still on the property, in their old colors, and yet, not too far gone.

Thanks for the info!

"NYO"
Hart Bus

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hart Bus wrote:

I knew the MACK was in the Museum fleet, but didn't know that those two particular Old Looks were also in the Fleet.

What threw me was the photo date; as those buses had been already OOS for many years, I thought it odd they were still on the property, in their old colors, and yet, not too far gone.

Thanks for the info!

"NYO"

What may also throw you if you compare those three buses to an inventory list for the museum is that #4789, has been repainted and renumbered as # 2969. It is known as "The Jackie Gleason Bus" in honor of Ralph Kramden even though this is not the sane bus as i the famous promotional picture for the show.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hart Bus:

You're right......that renumbering always gets me (and I usually forget about it, as well!)

No matter, at least those three classics in that photo were spared the scrap yard!

"NYO"
ripta42
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"New Look" was GM's own marketing term for the new styling:

Granted, I wasn't alive when these were actually new, but I tend to use the term to refer to any of the revised styling that appeared in the late '50s/early '60s, regardless of manufacturer (even the stainless-fronted Macks).
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ripta42 wrote:
"New Look" was GM's own marketing term for the new styling:

Granted, I wasn't alive when these were actually new, but I tend to use the term to refer to any of the revised styling that appeared in the late '50s/early '60s, regardless of manufacturer (even the stainless-fronted Macks).

As far as I personally go, I've never varied on the terminology I have always used for these buses:

GMC=Fishbowl

Flxible=New Look

IMHO, I guess it's pretty much up to a given individual as to what moniker bests suits a certain style bus.....

"NYO"

BTW:

Those buses in your posts sure take us back to a time when NEW buses could be both STYLISH and EXCITING.......a far cry from the bland, boxy vehicles of today......
traildriver

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver wrote:
I recall taking a 'fantrip' aboard one of those old Mack's on the Hylan Blvd. line all the way from St. George to Tottenville....I recall them as having a rather hard ride. Took the SIRT train back...a lot more comfortable.... Wink

The SIRT had those ancient cars like the BMT Standard's, and the crew wore B&O, (which still owned it) uniform's!

traildriver:

I well recall those MACKS; here in NJ, where most MACKS were of the older variety, rides were anything BUT smooth, but, to a young bus fan, the sights, sounds, and smells of a vintage MACK in action were all that mattered! (I haven't ridden a MACK in at least 46 years!)

Following are links to two 1960's SIRT photos; Mom and I took many little "excursions" on that line back in the days of B&O ownership, when the railroad still had a distinct interurban/"Toonerville Trolley" appeal (today, it's just another "ho-hum" line)

In the one photo, note the old, ramshackle ferry house; until October of 1963, the ferry (last operated by SUNRISE FERRIES; pre-1948, it was run by the SIRT) crossed to Perth Amboy)

Mom and also rode those little boats a number of times; it was sort of a "side trip" whenever we rode the SIRT.

Back to buses:

I remember hearing years ago that Staten Island was "where old buses came to die"; I recall all Old Looks and MACKS operating out of St. George, back in the 60's.

Aaaahhh, to do it all again.....

"NYO"

http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?21961

http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?57017

(courtesy nycsubway.org)

Thanks for those links....I would have loved to have taken the ferry from Tottenville over to Perth Amboy, had it still operated.
I don't believe you can even take a local bus over the Outerbridge....nor even the Goethals nowadays. Only the Bayonne Bridge offers local SI to NJ local service at limited times. To get from Tottenville to Perth Amboy, such a short hop, now takes a very long, convoluted journey via public transportation. I suppose the reason is there is almost no demand for it...

I recently took a NY Waterways boat excursion, chartered by the National Lighthouse Museum http://lighthousemuseum.org/ that circumnavigated Staten Island...the former terminals on both shores were visible....surprisingly not directly opposite, somewhat downriver from each other.....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: