BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PABT (Perpetually Aggravating Bus Terminal)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
traildriver

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:01 pm    Post subject: Welcome back, NYO! Reply with quote

Glad to see you back and active....we missed your posts. Hope all is well at home....

As for The Port....I think since I have worked on and off there since 1968, (current stint since 1994), and have traveled from it as far back as 1957, I have a pretty good 'feel' for what ails it.

The current publicity seems to have come from a recent expose from one of the local television news 'action reporter's'....
And it's a good thing, since that seems to be the only thing that gets any action out of the Port Authority.
In a word, the current state of affairs at The Port is 'miserable'. The money they are talking about spending is only a 'band-aid', that won't solve the root cause of the evil.

The terminal is barely adequate for commuter's, that know where they are going, but is extremely 'user-unfriendly' for long-haul traveler's that haven't been there before.
One thing is the inadequate staffing. This leads to the hustler's filling the vacuum created by the lack thereof. And ripping off the naive victims...

The women's restroom on the South Wing lower level has been closed 'for construction' for about a year or so. With no signs of any activity.
The lack of adequate elevator's and working escalator's ('motorstairs', in Port Authority Speak), is the cause of frequent passenger injury trying to tote their heavy bags up and down....

Lack of adequate signage....instead of the large mural of PA Police, there needs to be a large sign with an arrow stating: Exit---Subway---Street....
When someone gets off a long haul bus, the concourse is not at all intuitive with no windows or other mean of telling "How do I get out of here"

Traffic congestion and gridlock at 41st and 9th, and again at 41st and Dyre, with no officers to direct traffic. Sign prohibiting buses from turning left on 9th (all other vehicle's can), causing a huge hassel to simply get back in to the terminal on 40th street, or to go south...

I don't think there is any good way to expand the current terminal.
What I would like to see, is the Port Authority to use the vast land it owns between Ninth and Eleventh Avenues, and 39th and 41st Streets where the Lincoln Tunnel approaches are, and build an adequate new terminal above that area. With a new 7 line station at 10th, or a 'people mover' to connect the new terminal with the 8th avenue/Times Square stations.
They should also build a multilevel bus parking garage above or below the new terminal.

As for building another Lincoln Tunnel tube....that would be a good idea, if it could be dedicated to connect with the terminal. And double deck the 'helix' and 495, with the upper level dedicated to traffic destined to the Turnpike.... The upper level would only need four lanes, not six like the lower....
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver:

Thank you......it IS good to be back; really missed the great discussiuons we always seem to have going, here! Wink

Your post is excellent, and indeed speaks many volumes.

The last few years I was working downtown, I was commuting via the PABT, as the PATH connection to the WTC had been severed since the terror attacks of 9-11.

In all honesty, I cannot find anything positive about the terminal during those last few years, except that it allowed me a covenient option for my daily commutes.

What I today find so ironic, is that, way back in 1950 when the Terminal opened, it represented the very acme of modern bus terminal design and operation......THAT was a LOOOOOONG time ago!

I see you also agree with my idea of a new set of tubes serving a new Terminal, tubes that would be for the exclusive use of the buses traveling to and from New York.

I can also well remember, during those last few years I used the Terminal, that those dispatcher booths on each platform were almost always empty, and, even when they were occupied, the guy inside didn't seem to be all that interested in what was going on with the buses at his platform.

All it took was some rush-hour gridlock to create the long, long lines that snaked around the platform railings, down the steps, and then out to the concourse.......NOT what a hassled, weary commuter wants to encounter when he only wants to get home in a timely, civilized fashion!

I truly am grateful that I no longer have to participate in this three-ring circus, twice every weekday......

"NYO"

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another classic scene just outside the PABT, dating back to 1972.

Here we have "first generation" DOMENICO Fishbowl #87 proudly leading the pack; again, note the many R&T buses in the lot in back of the soaring spires of the historic Gothic church.....

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?2298

(courtesy bus.nycsubway.org)
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a sunny day back in 1981, we see COMMUNITY COACH Fishbowl #102 outbound from the PABT (clearly, this photo appears to have been taken during a relatively light period!)

#102's roller curtain reading seems to be a wee bit "abbreviated".......

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?606

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All:

Today's "THE RECORD" is featuring the second front-page story on the plight of the PABT in less than a week; the front page shows a picture of the Ralph Kramden statue in front of the terminal, and the article is entitled:

"HEY, RALPHIE BOY!" (Gleason statue a bright spot for weary PA commuters)

More details on the numerous ongoing maladies afflicting the terminal, and thoughts on what might be done for a solution for the ailing facility.

(as a bonus, some great "Honeymooners" references!)

"And awwwwwwwaaaaaaaayyyy we go!"

"NYO"
traildriver

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:

Here we have "first generation" DOMENICO Fishbowl #87 proudly leading the pack; again, note the many R&T buses in the lot in back of the soaring spires of the historic Gothic church.....

And now they're building yet another high-rise on that corner....
It won't be long before the value of real-estate in the area chases away all the remaining bus parking lots....
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

traildriver wrote:
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:

And now they're building yet another high-rise on that corner....
It won't be long before the value of real-estate in the area chases away all the remaining bus parking lots....

traildriver:

So much for "progress"........... Sad

"NYO"
N4 Jamaica

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other day, I took a swift underwater ten-minute ride on PATH from the World Trade Center to Hoboken. Roaming the terminal, I found that new NJT ticket machines would print tickets for bus, rail, and HBLR. Intending to see some of the problems of the Lincoln Tunnel during the afternoon rush and visit the PABT, I splurged $1.45 for a senior ticket on Route 126.
---

---
The driver informed riders that the trip could take more than an hour and fifteen minutes. The beautiful upholstered seats transmitted some of the outrageous pavement defects of elegant Washington Street. Upon reaching Weehawken and the slow, inch-by-inch queue to the toll booths, only two of us were aboard. We spent 47 minutes on line and at low speed through the south tube. Rather than sit through the Tenth Avenue snarl (as has been reported in the local press), I bailed out at a red signal at 36th Street and walked up Ninth Avenue. I had intended to see how the bus, headed for a 200 gate, discharged its passengers, but the walk was more inviting.
---

Do buses use a fourth floor in addition to the old second floor islands, and the new 3rd floor bays? From Ninth Avenue I could not see what action was on the top bridge.
Note Martz.

Last edited by N4 Jamaica on Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mr. Linsky

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

N4 Jamaica,

Nice photos!

It's good to see that Frank Martz is still in business - one of the last of the old time flags for sure.

Thanks for sharing and best regards,

Mr. 'L'
Hankg42

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I experienced the Lincoln Tunnel snarl first hand last Sunday. It took ONE HOUR and TWENTY MINUTES to get from 34th St. and 9th Ave. to the entrance of the tunnel. I think that's a total of FOUR blocks. As they say, "I love NY!" Sad
N4 Jamaica

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it's good to see Martz around. I had a better shot of a Martz bus ten minutes later when I looked through my lens and pressed the shutter release. The camera was still closed! Nutz.
N4 Jamaica

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Van services now use space in the lower level of PABT, whether bays or along the wall I don't know. Hudson Boulevard, running the length of Hudson County, was completed more than 100 years ago. I am quite certain streetcars crossed it, but did not run on it, leaving the field to jitneys. The jitneys became Independent Bus Operators' Associations. In Hudson County during the 1940's, interstate companies could not handle local fares. Hudson Blvd had both services. I vaguely recall an IBOA whose post-war GMS were gray with a red stripe, and I believe a healthy company or IBOA brought passengers from Journal Square north on the Boulevard (once Hudson, now Kennedy) and to Port Authority Bus Terminal. It appears that the transit buses have been replaced by a van company, not independent jitneys. However, if you read this link, the drivers' income seems to depend on catching fares!

---

Last edited by N4 Jamaica on Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:12 am; edited 1 time in total
N4 Jamaica

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At Ninth Avenue and 41st Street, I expected to see a stream of long-distance coaches leaving the lower level of the bus terminal, as they used to do. One Martz left (and my lens was not open), but nothing else. Instead, there were many suburban buses southbound on Ninth Avenue. I picture one above, but I don't know if it was really in service from Ridgefield or coming from a bus parking lot. I cannot explain why we had so many commuter buses southbound on Ninth at 41st. Some turned west onto 41st. Others continued south, some perhaps to 40th street and the entrance to the lower level.
traildriver

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll try to answer some of your question's....

Yes, the 'fourth floor" of the south wing contains the 400 series gates, used by some 'medium distance' routes...some NJT, as well as Lakeland, DeCamp, Rockland, Suburban, etc...

The reason you did not see many long distance coaches leave from the 41st Street exit, is that only the carrier's using the odd-numbered gates in the south wing lower level have to use it (Martz, Bieber, Bonanza, and Academy [including NJT route 119]). The carrier's using the even-numbered gates (Trailways of NY [ADT, PHK, NYT], Greyhound, Trans-Bridge, Susqhehanna, Bieber Harrisburg, C&J, and certain PM rush hour NJT trips, as well as the 'vans' using the wall gates 51-56, have the option to use it, or go thru the passage into the north wing lower level, and exit thru the ninth avenue underpass onto 41st Street.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> General Bus Forum - All Bus Topics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: