BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Not sure if this is the correct place for this picture

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hart Bus

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:59 am    Post subject: Not sure if this is the correct place for this picture Reply with quote

Found this on E-bay. Don't know if this company has been discussed before on this board or if a roster exists.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FORDHAM-TRANSIT-COMPANY-BUS-PHOTO-MACK-C-41-GT-/371128183857?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5668f6ac31
Mr. Linsky
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Not sure if this is the correct place for this picture Reply with quote

Hart Bus wrote:
Found this on E-bay. Don't know if this company has been discussed before on this board or if a roster exists.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FORDHAM-TRANSIT-COMPANY-BUS-PHOTO-MACK-C-41-GT-/371128183857?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5668f6ac31

ECA,

Boy, talk about coincidences! I saw that Fordham offer on eBay and I have a couple of comments;

I believe Fordham was a Bronx outfit and I also believe (and I stand corrected) that Fordham had an affiliation with Reservoir - a house service in the same borough.

These questions have come up because S-60 To Smith Haven Mall has Fordham listed under Westchester County rosters.

Now, let's analyze the photos below beginning with the Fordham parlor car #21 (upper) in which the company address is 1350 Inwood Avenue, Bronx.

The center photo of Fordham Transit Company #65 and the lower photo of Reservoir Bus Lines #51 are identical in both Mack model (C-41-GT) and in livery scheme although the Reservoir was one of five (50 to 54) purchased in 1946 and the Fordham one of five (61 to 65) purchased in 1947.

I will say that the Fordham Mack was probably photographed in Westchester as evidenced by the lamp post in the background.

Maybe someone familiar with these operations can fill us in.

Upper image courtesy of 'bk.sales' of eBay
Center image courtesy of '4509bus' of eBay
Lower image courtesy of the Motor Bus Society.

Best regards,

WCA

Hart Bus

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WCA: I don't know if this will shed some light o the mystery or throw more smoke on the subject. I googled both names and came up blank. The closest the search engine came up with was "WEST" Fordham Transit and linked me to the production list for TDH5304's at OMOT.org.

It shows that serial numbers 0073,0074 and 0075 all went to "Hudson Transit/West Fordham Transit of Bronx NY in April of 1963. They were numbered 263,363 and 463.
According to the footnote 0073 went to Double A in Rocky Hill, CT and was renumbered 1305. What happened to the bus sincee Double A closed up is a mystery.

West Fprdham, in their name alone purchased serial 0668 (fleet 113) in April of 1965 and serial 1084 (fleet # 114) i May of 0966.

Of more important information to us, is that the list shows that "Uncle Brucie" Korusek is the owner of 2 5304's that ran for DC Transit.

Since those lists haven't been updated in long time, I wonder if BK still has them?
N4 Jamaica

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I realize that memory can sometimes fool. However, I must categorically say that Fordham Transit provided service from Valentine Avenue and Fordham Road up Boston Post Road through New Rochelle, Larchmont, Mamaroneck, and Rye. That is how we got to Playland Rye during the late 1940's, 1951, and probably 1952. The buses were black-and-white Macks, and the name was sometimes Reservoir, Fordham, and West-Fordham. As the company was forbidden to serve local Bronx patrons, I understand why S-60 placed the roster in Westchester Vintage. Thanks to Mr. L. for the photo of Parlor Car 21. I recall the ads for that service to the Catskills during the summer. I think the ads were in store windows.
---
Mom explained that during the Depression the company hired women who would sit in the bus when it was otherwise empty, to lure more people into the bus as if it were about to depart, then excuse themselves for some reason or other, "I'll take the next bus."
----
We bounced like crazy north on bad pavement on post-war Boston Post Road.
----
The photo could be on Main Street (northbound) or Huguenot Street (southbound) in New Rochelle, as each carried a single track for the A car.
In my youth, trolleys no longer reached Rye, and the sensible thing was to board Fordham Transit on Valentine Ave.
---
Westchester Bee-Line has modified both southern and northern terminals and has created detours off Boston Post Road. Because of the weak NYCTA bus service on Boston Road in The Bronx, Bee-Line 60 may now handle Bronx local patrons. In Surface Transit days there was a Boston Road bus that ran from Pelham Parkway to the City Line with a terrible headway, maybe an hour.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: