BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MACK C-50-DT "ambulances"/MACK memories
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629
BusTalk's Offical Welcoming Committee

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A NHBL MACK (in the company of a fellow WHITE and GMC) awaits departure from Journal Square on the #1 local, back in 1964; this was the line that ran right by our old Union City apartment house and were the same buses that got me interested in public transit before my first birthday!

Various models of Old Looks also ran for the NHBL (I recall a few WHITE 798's as well; they also ran other MACKS)

Note the "5" placard in the windshield of the WHITE; that route also passed my old building and terminated at the PABT, via the Lincoln Tunnel.

This timeless scene was one I experienced countless times growing up......

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?650

(courtesy bus.nycsubway.org)
Hankg42

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 wrote:
Hankg42:

Back in the 60's, in my area of northern New Jersey, most MACKS seemed to be C-45's; the only suburban MACKS I remember were those rostered by ORANGE & BLACK.

The other companies I remember using MACKS were NHBL, SHBL, and CENTRAL AVENUE; I knew these old veterans well growing up.

By the late 60's, the MACKS were all becoming endangered species.

The last MACKS on the NHBL's #1 local were about 1967/68; I recall one suffering a serious engine fire a few blocks from our old apartment house, on a hot summer's day. For some strange reason, it was not towed away in a more or less timeley manner, but sat for quite a long spell until it was finally towed away.

Never saw the MACKS again on the old "Boulevard" lines; whatever the model, MACKS were very distinctive buses......their sounds and smells still remain with me after all these years.

They truly were buses with personalities....

"NYO"

I'm not sure if it is appropriate to post personal photos here, so below is a link to my posts in the Member Introduction section that include a picture of my dad and me, alongside a Mack identified by Mr. Linsky in the post. This is where my interest began...

http://forum.bustalk.info/viewtopic.php?t=2452&sid=d2f8fe0c9597181a7c9de058cc61c948
Hart Bus

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I guess that you've changed your appearance just a bit in the intervening years? - LOL

I moved into my new house last December and have to look for two similar pictures. One around 1954 shows me having an ice cream cone in Central Park with an FACC #4506 northbound on Fifth Avenue. In the second one, I am about 10-12 years old leaving against a large circular concrete flower pot with a Vista Liner parked in back of me.

As soon as I find them I will scan the into my computer for poaterity and also send them to Mr. L to include them in this board.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hank:

What a great old picture!

Thanks for letting me in on it!

Strangely, I have no recollections of buses at Tottenville; when Mom and I took one of our many day trips to Tottenville (via the SIRT), we never ventured further than the station area, except when the old SUNRISE FERRY was still running over to Perth Amboy.

We always took a short side trip on the ferry while it was still running; after it shut down in late 1963, we would visit the abandoned ferry terminal and then return to the platform to board the next SIRT train back to St. George.

At St. George, we'd always visit the bus platforms, and it was great fun watching the steady parade of Old Looks and MACKS rumble in and out of the bus lanes.

Even today, I can still hear that distinctive MACK "sound" in my memories!

Sure wish I could go back in time and see it all again....... Rolling Eyes

"NYO"
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Noo Yawk" MACK memories.......

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?1624

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?1782

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?3615

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?3616

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?1598

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?355

(courtesy: bus.nycsubway.org)
Hankg42

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hart Bus... yes, I have changed a bit! LOL!

NYO... One of the reasons I love this forum is the flood of memories it brings. I lived on SI until 1977, and saw how it changed, often not for the better. Ferries that fell in the name of progress: 69th Street Ferry to Brooklyn; ferries to NJ, Perth Amboy, Carteret, Bayonne. The ancient SIRT cars that I rode to Msgr. Farrell H.S. I suppose life is better now, but all the great memories give a wonderful glow to the 50's and 60's. Thanks for finding all these great pictures.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hankg42 wrote:
Hart Bus... yes, I have changed a bit! LOL!

NYO... One of the reasons I love this forum is the flood of memories it brings. I lived on SI until 1977, and saw how it changed, often not for the better. Ferries that fell in the name of progress: 69th Street Ferry to Brooklyn; ferries to NJ, Perth Amboy, Carteret, Bayonne. The ancient SIRT cars that I rode to Msgr. Farrell H.S. I suppose life is better now, but all the great memories give a wonderful glow to the 50's and 60's. Thanks for finding all these great pictures.

Hank:

When I was quite young, I remember riding on the old Bergen Point (Bayonne)-Port Richmond ferry, which docked alongside the now long-gone Uncle Milty's amusement park.

Interestingly, PSNJ (in addition to operating buses and streetcars) operated that ferry in earlier years, as well as several others, including the busy 125th St. line that crossed over to Edgewater, NJ.

The old 69th St. ferry fleet (which shut down in November of 1964) comprised of the following boats (these were known as "ELECTRIC FERRIES"): "THE TIDES", "THE NARROWS", the "GOTHAM", the "HUDSON", the "E.G. DIFENBACH", "ST. GEORGE" and "HAMILTON"; this was another ferry line Mom and I used to ride just for the fun of it; I still remember seeing the VZ Bridge being built from the decks of the 69th St. boats, looking for all the world like a giant Erector Set!

I well remember the MACKS (C-45's, I believe) that were part of the SHBL fleet through a good part of the 60's, when we rode down to Uncle Milty's (and/or the ferry)

I agree; this board brings back a tremendous wealth of bus memories for all of us.......there are some highly-knowledgeable gentlemen here who really make this forum swing!

"NYO"

Last edited by NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629 on Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:57 pm; edited 5 times in total
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"MACK DUO" (St. George terminal, 1955)......

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?3955

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"GLOWERING IN THE GLOOM" (Flatbush Depot, 1955)........

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?3952

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More nostalgia......

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?3970

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?3968

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?3625

JimmiB

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NYO, I think you're onto something there. That is the main problem with the newer buses. No personality. Not only Macks but most bus models had a personality of their own. Old Looks, New Looks and every brand had a distinctive look. With today's boxes I have to look for a name badge to even know who made them.
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimmiB wrote:
NYO, I think you're onto something there. That is the main problem with the newer buses. No personality. Not only Macks but most bus models had a personality of their own. Old Looks, New Looks and every brand had a distinctive look. With today's boxes I have to look for a name badge to even know who made them.

JimmiB:

Exactly!

Even though, at one time, long ago, the MACKS and the Old Looks were new and sleek and modern, they were still ATTRACTIVE and HANDSOME.

They were designed not only to be FUNCTIONAL, but ATTRACTIVE as well.

Today, I watch the buses go by (NJT NABIs and NEOPLAN artics), simply out of habit.

I feel none of the anticipation, nor any of the pleasure, that I once felt when watching the classic era-coaches rumble by.

Too, today's buses are mostly white, with only dashes of color; in our day, the buses were all decked out in a colorful rainbow of color schemes, proudly representing "Fallen Flag" companies that have long since vanished.

Today, a "new bus" is simply that, a "new bus"; recall the long-ago days when GMC's Fishbowls were first hitting the streets; there was much fanfare and media coverage, and parades of the gleaming new buses in a number of cities further heightened the excitement of seeing the debut of such futuristic looking buses.

That was a LONG time ago.

Like the Old Looks, the MACKS, WHITES, and ACF-BRILLS all had distinct personalities and characteristics of their own. There was so much individuality and diversity in the bus industry several decades back.

Today, like just about ever sector of public transport, the bus business has become totally homogenized and so "Star Wars Advanced", and just about every scrap of pleasure has gone out of the bus hobby.

At least, for those of us older fellows who can still recall a time when the "Museum Buses" of today were still on the streets, rumbling, snorting, growling, and purring along, doing what they were built to do, we have memories that the younger fans of today will never have.

The younger bus enthusiasts of today, who no doubt enjoy the modern, ho-tech buses of today, I feel, have truly missed out on what I feel was the greatest era of buses.

The many makes and models then in use.....the colorful and often striking paint schemes that the buses wore.......the numerous lines long since cut back or abandoned.....this, and so much more, have indeed given us older gentlemen a rich tapestry of memories that time can never erase.....

"NYO"

PS:

My favorite motto:

"Hey, I may be getting OLD, but at least I got to SEE all the great BUSES!" Very Happy
NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"WHEN THE 60's WERE STILL LIKE THE 50's" (1964)

Perhaps the young lad standing alongside this handsome and regal New Look MACK was also a bus enthusiast; if he was, he was surely enjoying himself with what he was seeing and hearing!

Ah, the innocence of another era.......

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?2951

NEW YORK OMNIBUS 2629

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Though no MACKS appear in this timeless image from 1975, the vintage Old Looks and SCENICRUISER remind us of the days when such handsome vehicles were still within our midst.

Even in 1975, in many areas, such scenes would soon vanish, as more and more companies were retiring their Old Looks, and the legendary SCENICRUISERS (even in charter service) would all too soon be vanishing forever down the echoing corridors of time.

I had posted the link for this classic photo elsewhere in other threads here in the past, however, I wanted to share it again, to further recall the colorful diversity of the "olden times".........

http://bus.nycsubway.org/perl/show?607

John Roth

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#1407 at the front of the line is a "BEAST" What I wouldn't give to take a spin on that one.

John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> New York City Buses All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: