BusTalk Forum Index BusTalk
A Community Discussing Buses and Bus Operations Worldwide!

BusTalk MainBusTalk Main FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups BusTalk GalleriesBusTalk Galleries   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Flyer vs Gillig BRT buses

Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Transit Bus Manufacturers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DE60LF

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:42 pm    Post subject: New Flyer vs Gillig BRT buses Reply with quote

I have wondered why New Flyer's BRT buses have not been huge sellers. The Gillig Advantage BRT, for comparison, is currently Gillig's biggest cash cow, and makes up a majority of Gillig Advantages sold today. The Gillig Advantage BRT in fact has been proven popular for non-BRT use, as Denver RTD and Lynx (Orlando) have ordered them to use on regular routes. While a few DE60LF BRTs have been sold, the DE40LF BRT has yet to get an order. Only Gillig offers BRT buses in 30-foot and 35-foot lengths.

BTW, the DE40LF BRT is NOT the same as the DE40LFR (restyled front end).

New Flyer DE40LF BRT:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/9f/New_Flyer_Advanced_Styling_BRT.jpg

New Flyer DE40LFR (with frameless windows):
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/7e/Cathybrid.jpg
The Port of Authority

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Gillig BRT doesn't really compete with the New Flyer BRT; it competes with the New Flyer x40LFR series.

I don't know of any agencies that have ordered 40-foot New Flyer BRT buses. Eugene, OR and Cleveland, OH have ordered New Flyer BRT artics, however (and it helps that Gillig doesn't offer an articulated competitor, either.)

Besides, what's the big advantage of ordering a New Flyer BRT bus? It's just a x40LF with a newer, more expensive end grafted on. The x40LFR series is probably much cheaper than their BRT equivalents.
RTS_04

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Port of Authority wrote:

Besides, what's the big advantage of ordering a New Flyer BRT bus? It's just a x40LF with a newer, more expensive end grafted on. The x40LFR series is probably much cheaper than their BRT equivalents.

Styling for one, but you're right.

I think the same thing can be argued for the Gillig BRT - there's nothing BRT about it; it's just an Advantage that looks good, in my mind.

I had a chance to ride on a new Gillig BRT at TANK in Kentucky, but ultimately passed in favor of hitching a ride on an AM General. Those who did ride the BRT tell me it rides the same as a normal Gillig LF (which is still nicer than the AM General's ride, FWIW...).
DE60LF

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, doesn't New Flyer still offer the old-style front? ABQ RIDE's 6600-series DE60LFs delivered earlier this year still have the old-style front.
ripta42
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CTA is still receiving New Flyers with the "classic" front.

A few years ago, transportation planning industry slang for these "BRT-styled" buses was WCV, for "Way Cool Vehicle."
DE60LF

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just as a question: Has New Flyer even produced a 30-foot or 35-foot bus with the restyled front end yet? I know the BRT style is only available on the DE40LF and DE60LF. However, I have never even seen the restyled front end on a 30-foot or 35-foot New Flyer low floor.

The D40LFR and DE40LFR were introduced in 2005. The C40LFR and E40LFR were introduced last year. The first New Flyer articulated buses with the restyled front end (D60LFR, DE60LFR, and E60LFR) were introduced this year with Hamilton Street Railway. Is it even an option on the 30-foot or 35-foot buses? Also, I have not seen or heard of any L40LFRs (LNG) or GE40LFRs (gasoline-electric).
RailBus63

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RTS_04 wrote:
I think the same thing can be argued for the Gillig BRT - there's nothing BRT about it; it's just an Advantage that looks good, in my mind.

I prefer the looks of the standard Gillig Advantage myself.
Q65A

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was in Colorado Springs last year, I saw several Gillig Advantage BRT's in service. At first, I thought they might have been either NF Inveros or NABI Compobuses, but closer inspection revealed that they were Gilligs. They were real "head turners", with intense purple, copper, or teal paint jobs: big-time stylin'!!! Kudos to the good guys from Hayward CA!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    BusTalk Forum Index -> Transit Bus Manufacturers All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: